S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Proper way to install a catch can?

Old 02-06-2006, 05:14 PM
BNB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper way to install a catch can?

I have a catch can and I know it is not hooked up correctly. I was wondering what is the proper way to hook up he catch can. I have seen some people plug up the "nipple" on the IM whereas others have a hose coming out of it. Any pics would be greatly appreciated.TIA.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:27 PM

Received 124 Likes on 85 Posts

going by the instructons that came with my cusco can there is a hose from the valve cover to the can and the other side of the can is open, and the nipple on the intake is plugged.

it should work fine if you route it back to the intake as well.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:44 PM
BNB

Could I bother you for a pic as to the way you did it?
Old 02-06-2006, 09:13 PM

would also like to see some pics.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:20 PM

the primary catch can should go between the pcv and intake manifold, that's where most, if not all the blow by will come from. The crank case breather to the intake tube doesn't even release any blow by.

I've got both, and don't see anything in the crankcase - intake tube catch can. <- That's where Cusco is telling your put their catch can. IMO your wasting your money by placing the can here.

Your other option is the route both the pcv and crank case to the single catch can, and block the intake manifold and intake tube inlets, and breath to atmosphere. (ala xviper, I believe). However, this isn't CARB legal, but then again, neither is my set up..if that matters.

This is my catch can from the pcv to the intake manifold (I'm also using KrankVents, and yes, they work, particularly with FI'd! I'll have to get my dyno's from Comptech to show what positive pressure can do in the crankcase and hp.) Notice the oil in the collector

This is the crankcase breather. I put it there cause there is a small (insignificant) chance of oil blow by that can happen when cornering hard (I mean very hard). Mine is clean. I have it venting to the atmosphere. Again, with the KrankVent system. (Comptech is contemplating including something like this in their sc kits). I may remove the catch can and just keep the Krankvent and filter.

Engine shot, with the two catch cans in place.

Old 02-06-2006, 11:43 PM
BNB

^^^^^^Thanks you sooo much for the pic and the explanation. As you can see I am mildly retarded and was so excited to get my catch can, I hooked it up wrong.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that J's oil catch tank baffled?
Old 02-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gary_phd,Feb 6 2006, 10:20 PM
Your other option is the route both the pcv and crank case to the single catch can, and block the intake manifold and intake tube inlets, and breath to atmosphere. (ala xviper, I believe). However, this isn't CARB legal, but then again, neither is my set up..if that matters.
Do you mean route the pcv hose coming out of the middle of the valve cover to the "inlet" of the catch tank and the crankcase hose coming from the front of the valve cover to the "oulet" on the catch tank? That would mean you're sucking unfiltered air from the pcv back into the crankcase. Although this would definitely keep the intake manifold clean.

I was under the impression that the pcv inlet on the intake manifold doesn't need to be blocked on n/a cars because it's actually providing a vacuum for the crankcase. For those with FI, like xviper, plugging the pcv inlet would actually help because it prevents positive manifold pressure going into the crankcase, which is where the krankvents come in handy.

I recently cleaned out my throttle body and there was a lot of oil sludge built up and there was oil residue going from the front hose on the valve cover into the intake tube and into the throttle body. Even though air is being sucked into the valve cover from that path, some oil will still go back into the intake. A catch can for this vent is probably not as useful as putting one inline with the pcv.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:17 AM

[QUOTE=RevJunky,Feb 7 2006, 01:44 AM]Do you mean route the pcv hose coming out of the middle of the valve cover to the "inlet" of the catch tank and the crankcase hose coming from the front of the valve cover to the "oulet" on the catch tank?
Old 02-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gary_phd,Feb 7 2006, 05:17 AM
I'll have to look at xviper's layout more closely. But I know there are other JDM manufacturers that also splice the pcv and crankcase breather into one catch can. I prefer to use two catch cans, as seen in my layout.

If you Y them, you essentiall use the vaccum (in) of the crankcase breather, and keep any oil within the system that doesn't get into the catch can.

You'd block it in NA so that you don't get any unfilter air sucked back into the manifold. But, yes, for FI, the Krankvents do keep pressure out of the case.

Yes, there can be some oil, but not the same amout as the pcv-intake manifold. If you have an aftermarket intake, you may be getting some oil residue from the air filter and moisture from outside.
I thought about it and connecting both breathers to one inlet on the catch tank with a Y splice could work if you make sure you connect the other hole on the catch tank to a breather and plug up the hole on the intake manifold and the intake tube. The breather would relieve any positive pressure from the valve cover. The system would basically be recycling any oil coming out of the pcv, but is it ok to suck oil back into the front hole? The other thing that concerns me is if the intake manifold provides any vacuum for n/a car, anyone know?

I plan to install my catch tank inline between the pcv and intake manifold, put a small K&N breather filter on the front hole and plug the intake pipe.

Here's what the Y splice would look like

Quick Reply: Proper way to install a catch can?