S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Question about Fuel pump that comes with Vortech Supercharger.

Old 11-14-2002, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about Fuel pump that comes with Vortech Supercharger.

Hi.

I've been trying to install as much of the kit that I can do myself without popping the hood or doing anything major that I know I wont be able to do a good job at. I installed the fuel pump that came with the kit (installation manual sucks). Everything works fine, the car runs normal yada yada yada... I've noticed though that the pump has a real noticeable annoying high pitched whinning sound. It gets louder as my tank gets lower in fuel. I believe the only reason why it wouldnt be as loud on a full tank is because the fuel sort of dampens the sound. Is this sound normal? It's really annoying. The sound was there when I first installed it, but it seems to have gotten louder, full tank or not. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, its very normal for any type of high flowing fuel pump. I think that once you install the supercharger, the gear whine of the SC will drown out the fuel pump. =D
Old 11-14-2002, 02:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm also planning to install my kit in bits and pieces so this info is good to know. Some of the other stuff I was planning on installing as stand alone pieces:
-crank pulley, but not the S/C pulley.
-oil pan return line.
-aftercooler plumbing like water pump, rad, hoses, reservoir but not have anything filled with coolant or wired to power.
-mount fuel pressure reg (and associated bits) but not tie it in to anything.

Anything else that could be mounted but just left till it all comes together? I don't want anything interfering with the normal running of the car as NA. These are my "weekend" winter projects. Don't need the thing working till next spring.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, it's normal. I have a Comptech SC on mine and yes it whines. However when you get the SC installed and at about 150MPH you won't hear it, all you'll hear is your heart beating in your ears as the botts dotts on the roadway become one solid white line OOOOOOOOOOH Yeah nothing like the iron lung!!!
Old 11-16-2002, 09:55 AM

Things that make you go Hmmmm...

I've had a CT SC for a year and half now and up until recently its had the same loud whine that hecash and others have noticed. The whine isnt full loud all the time but it is always there and sometimes very loud, ussually after hard driving. I recently removed my soft top and just about every thing else behind the seats when i installed my hardtop and rollbar. One thing i noticed after i did that was a loose philips screw that holds down the fuel pump cover. After i tightened it i seem to no longer have the loud portion of the fuel pump whine. I do still hear the fuel pump but its much quieter than before.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

davepk, Hmm good catch there.
Always make sense to go back there and check if everything is dandy.

I for one had never noticed any whine until recently.
The sound is not always present and seems to be on and off.
Ususally after a decent long drive the whine will surface sometimes alarmingly loud on one occasion.
I thought 'oh my' there goes my fuel pump.

I guess the whine is normal, just little strange for me though that it only started to happen recently.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:43 PM

My Votech fuel pump started today (you hear a high-pitched whiney noise behind you) This was not there the last 1000 miles (1 month) Any news how to remove this ??? Better pump maybe ?
Call Vortech and complain ?
Old 01-08-2003, 06:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by 1Randyc

The sound is not always present and seems to be on and off.
Ususally after a decent long drive the whine will surface sometimes alarmingly loud on one occasion.
I thought 'oh my' there goes my fuel pump.

I guess the whine is normal, just little strange for me though that it only started to happen recently.
This is the exact same observation I had with my Viper. Usually, no noise, but after the car had been driven for a while, it would make this very noticeable whine. Did it the whole time I had the car (3 years) and never had a problem with it.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:01 AM

any high volume fuel pump will make a lot of noise. Even nice ones like aeromotive and walbro, remember that they are made to move fuel not be silent
Old 01-08-2003, 07:22 AM

Is there no other solution to move fuel ? I can not believe that there is not a better model on the market. ??

Quick Reply: Question about Fuel pump that comes with Vortech Supercharger.