S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Question about SRS Light - Rebuilt S2000

Old 05-10-2017, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about SRS Light - Rebuilt S2000

So I almost have everything done for my rebuilt S2000 and am trying to finalize things. A little background: The car was purchased from auction a few years back. I finally had the chance to really put time and money into it and am trying to get it registered.

I purchased both airbags and seat belts off of Ebay. I found my car had AP1 seats in it so I also purchased AP2 seats off of Ebay. The driver side had a different connector than mine. The connector's side to plug into my car had 2 circle shapes and mine was straight. Didn't know there was a difference but that part didn't plug in. However, I read on here that only the passenger would give off an SRS light. I plugged in the passenger seat and then put everything back together. I currently have the airbag light showing and a check engine. I unplugged my battery and let it sit over night. I will check today after work if the CEL is still on.

As for the air bag light, will I be able to do an SRS light reset and have it work (as stated in some of the DIY's) or is there something I have to get programmed since the car was in an accident.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:06 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Did you replace the airbag control module underneath the radio?
Old 05-10-2017, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Did you replace the airbag control module underneath the radio?
That I did not. This is the first rebuilt car I ever worked on.

Is this something I would have to get re-programed? Or do I need to buy a new module?
Old 05-10-2017, 02:00 PM

No need to PM.

New or used module is fine. The module is one-time use once the airbags are fired and basically becomes bricked (permanent lockdown)

You just plug and play it, its under the radio. Easy job.

You may need to do a final reset with a paperclip via the yellow connector under the dash, but that's it.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:05 PM

No need to PM.

New or used module is fine. The module is one-time use once the airbags are fired and basically becomes bricked (permanent lockdown)

You just plug and play it, its under the radio. Easy job.

You may need to do a final reset with a paperclip via the yellow connector under the dash, but that's it.
Do you know what I need to reset? I found a few tutorials but they aren't very detailed. Just saying something about jumpers but I don't know which port to plug it into.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:54 PM

After reading a few more threads, I finally understand it all. Still no luck though.

I reset the ECU by connecting a wire into both connectors and followed the instructions. The light blinked twice, I turned the ignition to OFF and then left it for 10 seconds. Put it on and the Airbag light was still on. I then reset the ECU by removing the "spare" fuse for 2 minutes and then turned it on. The SRS light turned off for a split second and then went back on. The check engine is still on. The CEL code I am getting is P2185.

From what I read on other forums, it might be a coolant issue? I can try changing the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor but I don't know how to get rid of this SRS light. Here's what was done:

New (Used) Airbags (Driver & Passenger)
New (Used) Seat Belts
New (Used) AP2 Seats, SRS connector is plugged underneath the passenger seat.
New (Used) SRS Unit

Everything is connected so I'm not sure what else is missing.

As for the CEL, the car originally came with no coolant. I filled it up but get that CEL. Wonder if I should just flush it and then replace the sensor.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:59 AM

This thread is about the srs light. It has nothing to do with the cel or coolant.

The paperclip method is to clear the srs memory, not reset the ecu.

If you got two blinks, the reset was successful. If the light is still on, there is a code stored in the srs module. You may be able to blink the code, or scan the code. Perhsps one of your parts is faulty, the code will tell all.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:36 AM

This thread is about the srs light. It has nothing to do with the cel or coolant.

The paperclip method is to clear the srs memory, not reset the ecu.

If you got two blinks, the reset was successful. If the light is still on, there is a code stored in the srs module. You may be able to blink the code, or scan the code. Perhsps one of your parts is faulty, the code will tell all.
Ok, I'll create a different thread for the CEL, thanks.

How would I be able to scan the code off of it? Is that something I can do or only the dealer?
Old 05-16-2017, 04:04 AM

It think it is possible to blink the codes. You will need to search a bit to do so. Jumping 4-9 of the OBD2 may blink all codes but I am not positive.
The following users liked this post:
Krialis (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 04:48 AM

It think it is possible to blink the codes. You will need to search a bit to do so. Jumping 4-9 of the OBD2 may blink all codes but I am not positive.
Ok I understand what you mean with this. I found a few threads about it. I'll give it a try and updated the thread if it works and then post a link, in case anyone else runs into the issue.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Quick Reply: Question about SRS Light - Rebuilt S2000