S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

rattling on my rear (suspension)

Old 02-28-2007, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattling on my rear (suspension)

ok so i did the install myself and i have this nasty rattling sound on the driver side rear when i go over bumps at a good speed. a good speed meaning im going fast enough over a little pot hole ( i live in hawaii and its everywhere, inavoidable) and the wheel rebounds its self after a bump fast enough to make this nasty metal on metal sound. This has been going on for 2 weeks or so and has been getting louder and louder. i just never had the time to get it aligned and didnt want to get it aligned with that sound hanging around

I thought i might have assembled the shock wrong or not tightened the strut tower tight enough since the fuel rail thing was there. i disassembled both shocks and everything was perfectly fine. I tightened it all the same (i didnt use a torque wrench in my install, which was a bad idea to start with but i went s techs for a reason [didnt have cash].) another thing i noticed was the passenger rear suspension settled in the wrong place. where the bottom of the spring is suppost to lock, it was off by a good 2 inches.

I reinstalled everything and the sound got softer but the rattling is still there on bumpy roads and its making me nervous. also when i go over a speed bump the rear of the car kinda wobbles. I dont think it was like that before but it happens to both my wheels. I want to blame it on the tein springs right now (they were slightly used when bought) . is the wobbling normal? i dont remember the wobbling at all. (small wobbling may i add)

could it be the bolt on the bottom of the shock? I doubt it since the sound only comes up in a vertical bump ish (kinda doesnt make sense but only when the wheel goes up and down and the bolt is horizontal.) I also unscrewed the stabalizer bar half a turn but it got to hard without a proper wrench so i just left it there. most likely not even half a turn. everything else i did not touch. another thing i might suspect but highly doubt is that i droped a nut under my carpet in the trunk and its making over bumps but i dont see it being that.

the sound in more detail is louder the faster and bigger the pot hole or irregular roads. if i were to picture it in my head , it sounds like the washer in the shock is moving up and down for the loud rattling noise

sorry for the long post with no pictures. and also sorry about the terms and grammer

thanks in advance
Old 02-28-2007, 03:57 PM

please help bump
Old 02-28-2007, 08:12 PM

Did you maybe drop something (ie extra washer or nut) in the driver side fender during the install. I did and drove around for a week with a similar problem. Finaly got an extendable magnet and fished it out.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by dispader,Feb 28 2007, 09:12 PM
Did you maybe drop something (ie extra washer or nut) in the driver side fender during the install. I did and drove around for a week with a similar problem. Finaly got an extendable magnet and fished it out.
i dont remember dropping a nut or a washer. does the suspension change involve a washer that could have been misplaceD?

thanks for your advice ill try take a loot around
Old 03-01-2007, 08:43 AM

I'm having the same problem after lowering with Tein springs.

I'll check again to see if i can find out whats causing the problem..
Old 03-01-2007, 09:04 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Question:

When you tightened up everthing, was the car in the air or on the ground?

If it was in the air, that is your problem. By tightening your suspension while the car is in the air, you have bound the bushing.

How to fix:

Loosen up all points you messed with.
Drop the car on the ground
Tighten them back up.

This should fix your problem. This is very common on the DIY install.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:25 AM

how do you tighten the bolts with the car on the ground? In the DIY people have loaded the suspension with 2 jacks (one on each side), but im wondering how to do it with only one jack, if theres another better way i would like to know.
CHRIS.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:05 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I did mine one a lift, I used a jack to compress each corner. So if you mount the car on Jack stands (all 4 corners) and used your jack you can do the same thing.

Also if you loosen everything up, you can set the car back on the ground and then tighten it too. Either one will work. the point is that the suspension is in a state that it will never be when they were tightened. That is where the noise is comming from. Ask me how I know
Old 03-01-2007, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stratocaster,Mar 1 2007, 03:05 PM
I did mine one a lift, I used a jack to compress each corner. So if you mount the car on Jack stands (all 4 corners) and used your jack you can do the same thing.

Also if you loosen everything up, you can set the car back on the ground and then tighten it too. Either one will work. the point is that the suspension is in a state that it will never be when they were tightened. That is where the noise is comming from. Ask me how I know
Does that apply to coilovers with the pillowball mounts also?
Old 03-01-2007, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Stratocaster,Mar 1 2007, 10:04 AM
Question:

When you tightened up everthing, was the car in the air or on the ground?

If it was in the air, that is your problem. By tightening your suspension while the car is in the air, you have bound the bushing.

How to fix:

Loosen up all points you messed with.
Drop the car on the ground
Tighten them back up.

This should fix your problem. This is very common on the DIY install.
The first time around i only preloaded the front end before tightening. I noticed that the rear was squeaking on the test drive.

I went back and loosened the lower 17mm bolt in the rear, preloaded it, then tightened it back up and the squeaking/rattle was still there. I did the preloading without the strut cap nuts loosened (just the lower control arm bolt). Would this be the cause of the sound?

Quick Reply: rattling on my rear (suspension)