S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Real Denso Coil Packs?

Old 08-30-2018, 10:17 PM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
What is the maintenance schedule for the coil packs?
There is no schedule. They're regarded as non serviceable parts however, the rule of thumb is 8-10 years for a set. To prolong their lifespan it is good practice to check your coil packs for oil residue around the 80k mile mark or even earlier. IF there is oil residue then that means your valve cover spark plug tube seals are worn and need to be replaced. Easy, fun and cheap replacement with OEM seals. Oil in the plug tube will short out the coil/s eventually leading to misfires.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:19 PM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I am not familiar with these coil packs but I can tell you I am suspicious just after viewing the photos. I have spent a fair amount of time over decades in China and Japan and I am acquainted with knockoffs (including sophisticated aviation knockoffs) on everything. I find it hard to believe a Japanese company would place their stickers in a half hazard fashion as shown. It very well could be legit but my fake radar has gone off.

I think the idea running pictures by the Denso folks is a good one. If they are fake, they may work for a while but they may also lead to problems down the line.
I found the off centre sticker placement dodgy as well. I also thought the Denso font on the stickers were a bit dodge... might be overreacting but you never know...
Old 08-31-2018, 05:41 AM

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Denso's website does not list rockauto.com as a place to purchase their but from pics on what im finding they look real to me

have a look

https://www.densoproducts.com/product.aspx?zpid=13769&_ref=ca-wtb&_refv=46eaabb1-25ec-4c35-ba5f-c01ff52832c4
Old 08-31-2018, 07:19 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by dedonderosa
Denso's website does not list rockauto.com as a place to purchase their but from pics on what im finding they look real to me

have a look

https://www.densoproducts.com/product.aspx?zpid=13769&_ref=ca-wtb&_refv=46eaabb1-25ec-4c35-ba5f-c01ff52832c4
I did have a look and it only confirmed my suspicions. Substantial differences in the content of the labeling, quality of said labels, and placement. There is also a difference in the actual piece: ridges extending to the bolt hole are missing in the "knockoff" version.
Different manufactured product and different labels. I would reject them.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you everyone for your responses. Rockauto sent me an email stating that their supplier verified that the products are genuine. I am not sure if I trust them or not. The car does run wayyyyy better and I hope it stays like that. Here are some more pictures I took and sent to Denso for comparison.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:29 AM

Denso USA responded and legally he can not tell me yes or no but he sent me this:

"DENSO is primarily an Original Equipment Manufacturer and Supplier to many of today's vehicle and equipment manufacturers.
As DENSO supplies products to our customers, they gain control of the after sales and service support of those products, and
unless given permission by those customers, DENSO can not provide product/data to the industry.

Due to our corporate bylaws, DENSO is not allowed to sell product directly, thus DENSO has authorized distributors for the sale
and warranty administration or exchange consideration of our products, and RockAuto.com is not an authorized distributor.

In my position, I communicate with installers & technicians throughout the day, and I am aware of counterfeit products representing
genuine DENSO parts, but as Rock Auto is not authorized, I can not really answer your question, all I can offer is our standards"
The following users liked this post:
HarryD (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 07:30 AM

I spent a long time comparing every inch and to be honest, I can not find a single difference but the stickers.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:00 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockin S2K
I spent a long time comparing every inch and to be honest, I can not find a single difference but the stickers.
Pictures are one thing, having the item in front of you is another. I have obtained high quality knockoffs in China (watches, purses, backpacks, clothing) and some of the items fool even professionals. I have had jewelers think a knockoff watch (FX in the trade) were the genuine article. Genuine leather bags are made so well retailers think they are brand items. They even come complete with all the tags and receipts that appear genuine. These are not the items you buy at some market but the ones you find in "back rooms" those in the know know. (Expats and crew) Many clothing items actually do come from the factory but are seconds. I have some Tommy Bahama shirts that also have the Costco label (Jamaica Jaxx) on them.

Just an FYI, it is legal to bring back to the county one (1) item of each kind (one purse, one shirt, one watch, etc) even if they are considered "grey".

The following users liked this post:
Rockin S2K (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 08:15 AM

I found some other people with Denso coil packs with the similar sticker in question.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:17 AM

Thank you for the info cosmomiller. The knockoff industry is crazy. I read an article where the Chinese stated that they make the knock off products in the same factory as the real ones. They ask who that is fake. It pisses me off.

Quick Reply: Real Denso Coil Packs?