S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear Caliper Rebuild DIY

Old 03-21-2013, 03:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need this as well lol
Old 03-21-2013, 04:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This link works:
http://www.diyautoftw.com/content.ph...0-By-SpitfireS
Old 03-28-2013, 09:44 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks to CFL Honda I received my pistons and seat set yesterday.
(at about 2/3rd of the Euro price!)

The pitted piston did have new rust and that made it stick.
A good way to tell if your rear caliper piston is on its way out is to feel how hard it is to turn the piston.
The bore of the caliper itself does not rust at all actually, only the dust boot groove is rusty.
With the new piston I'm pretty sure the caliper will work like new.
A 20km test drive on the highway without braking, then slowing down by engine braking as much as possible before entering a rest area confirmed it:the rotor was cold.
I managed to come to a stop without braking at all (rest area was almost empty)

To make bleeding easier I can advice to put some grease on the threads of the bleeder.
This will give less false negatives (air bubbles in tube) as no air can get in by the threads.
Once the caliper is off the car, clean the threads and use thick grease, and only on the threads!
Don't overtorque the bleeder screw.

When, after gravity bleeding, the pedal feels like (Billman quote) "Its welded to the chassis" I do advice to start the engine and press the brake again.
Actually, when you hold the "welded" pedal and start the engine you will be able to press it down a bit.
If its only a bit and the pedal feels firm at the end of the stroke you're allright, if it is more than, lets say, half a pedal stroke and the end of the stroke feels kinda soft: you still have air somewhere.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm actually in the middle of the rebuilt of my brake but I have a little problem, how can i extract this item :

Thanks you for your help !
Old 06-30-2013, 03:16 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

That piston and small push rod have to come out first before you can remove the e-brake actuator.
Don't try before or you will damage the roller bearing.
I don't remember exactly how I did this, I don't think it was difficult ad I did not make a remark about it in my post.
Most likely put the lever back on the actuator - without spring - and turn it so the piston is pushed out a bit.
IIRC it is pushed out far enough so the piston is easy to remove - may even fall out (?) - by holding the caliper upside down and tap or shake.
Then remove the small rod, then remove actuator.

I hope this helps.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The videos listed below are very helpful if you are planning to remove or replace the piston and dust boot only, or to replace the slide pin covers.

https://www.youtube.com/user/backstreetmechanic/videos
Old 05-16-2017, 05:31 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Has anyone else tackled this recently
Old 01-08-2018, 04:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS

IIRC it is pushed out far enough so the piston is easy to remove - may even fall out (?) - by holding the caliper upside down and tap or shake.
I just completed this job yesterday and I second this suggestion. Mine was very difficult to remove because the o-ring seals pretty hard against the caliper body. Turn the caliper upside down and hold it in your hand with a rag. Then give it a few whacks with a dead blow on the back of the caliper (hit it as hard as you can until you start hurting yourself). Eventually, it will fall out.

You could probably put the caliper on a table, but I didnt want to damage anything which is why I held it with a rag and used a dead blow.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-21-2018, 07:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nstrahan
I just completed this job yesterday and I second this suggestion. Mine was very difficult to remove because the o-ring seals pretty hard against the caliper body. Turn the caliper upside down and hold it in your hand with a rag. Then give it a few whacks with a dead blow on the back of the caliper (hit it as hard as you can until you start hurting yourself). Eventually, it will fall out.

You could probably put the caliper on a table, but I didnt want to damage anything which is why I held it with a rag and used a dead blow.

Hope that helps!
Is it possible to take out the piston while the caliper is still connected on the car? To just revise the piston. Or will the brake fluid come out? If the last thing is the case, how far could I turn out the piston to inspect and smoothen the surface without a leakage? And then turn it back in and have a better brake.

And can I put some silicone grease on the surface of the piston for smooth operation or should it go back in the caliper dry?

thanks all help is welcome
Old 08-22-2018, 07:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by simons
Is it possible to take out the piston while the caliper is still connected on the car? To just revise the piston. Or will the brake fluid come out? If the last thing is the case, how far could I turn out the piston to inspect and smoothen the surface without a leakage? And then turn it back in and have a better brake.

And can I put some silicone grease on the surface of the piston for smooth operation or should it go back in the caliper dry?

thanks all help is welcome
Ummm, I suppose that is theoretically possible, but (no offense) it's a terrible idea. If you unscrew the piston too far, you will dump a caliper-worth of brake fluid all over the rotor-spindle assembly. I also wouldn't attempt to smooth out any imperfections on the piston unless I had a way to ensure I was keeping it round. Either way, if you have a leak from a bad piston, the seal has probably failed so you would need to replace that. This cannot be done without removing the piston.

You are better off just removing the caliper from the system and rebuilding it. If you unscrew the hard line from the caliper hose, you can make a plug to prevent the system from leaking all your fluid out, and bleeding the system becomes a 5 minute job once you have the caliper back on.

Quick Reply: Rear Caliper Rebuild DIY