S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear end noise

Old 06-15-2023, 07:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rear end noise

Hello all,

My 2001 with almost 160,000 mi on the clock. It has been making a low hum noise (with top) and metal rubbing noise(with windows down) sound in the rear end. The sound has gotten a lot louder within the last 3 weeks.Perhaps it has been around longer, but I haven't noticed it.

To be honest with the stereo up to a normal level you probably wouldn't hear it at all. Anyhow... it is speed dependent and starts around 30-40 mph, and is constant. Not a high spot on the brakes, or wheel bearing type noise or anything like that.

- I’ve tighten the axle nuts according to the tbs.
- Changed diff fluid, only minor metal particles around the magnet. Fluid was clear. (Maybe due to the past owner)
- Changed out the trans fluid with Honda MTF II. Fluid was also clear

- I’ve checked my and swapped my cv buckets around (even tho they did not have any pitting)

Driver side cv bucket on the right and passenger cv bucket on the left

It makes the noise in gear or out of gear, and mine is a constant increase in noise/frequency as I speed up. During my hours of research, I have have concluded on two things.

1. The secondary output shaft bearing has gone bad
2. Bad rack and pinion on the diff.

I would like a different opinion on this issue I’ve been having since I’ve had the car. And if any of you had this problem what did you do to reserve it..

Here is the link to of the noise I was talking about

https://youtube.com/shorts/5jfiXJs-VHY?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/kDmdjLrnJyc?feature=share

I can provide more videos if these are not enough
Old 06-16-2023, 04:58 PM

Received 1,320 Likes on 998 Posts

Definitely not a gear whine. That would be way more high pitched, and would change dramatically on gas vs off.

Your noise sounds more like a grumbling, which points towards a bearing. Wheel, diff, etc. But there is also a wha wha element, up and down, which could be a tire.

Immediately take a very careful look at your tires. Unlike the other issues, if its that, could be catastrophic in an instant. Don't drive until inspect.

Check both inner and outer sidewalls, and tread, of both rear tires. Check for anything that don't look right. It'll probably be an internal issue, but there still would likely be external clues. Something like area of tread feels funner when you glide hands over it. Or tread that kinda waves left and right.

How old are the tires, size, brand, model, etc.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Definitely not a gear whine. That would be way more high pitched, and would change dramatically on gas vs off.

Your noise sounds more like a grumbling, which points towards a bearing. Wheel, diff, etc. But there is also a wha wha element, up and down, which could be a tire.

Immediately take a very careful look at your tires. Unlike the other issues, if its that, could be catastrophic in an instant. Don't drive until inspect.

Check both inner and outer sidewalls, and tread, of both rear tires. Check for anything that don't look right. It'll probably be an internal issue, but there still would likely be external clues. Something like area of tread feels funner when you glide hands over it. Or tread that kinda waves left and right.

How old are the tires, size, brand, model, etc.
If it were a wheel bearing, how can I diagnose and make sure that is the culprit? (I’ve read that pushing the rear wheel does not seem to work because the rear bearings are not tapered)

I recently bought 4 sets of continental Extreme contact DWS 06 plus.
Fronts: 205/55ZR16
Rears: 225/50ZR16

Tomorrow morning I will take off the wheels and put the car on jacks and try to isolate the noise. I’ll also upload a video for anyone to help diagnose this with me.
windhund116 (06-16-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 08:25 AM

Received 412 Likes on 343 Posts

To check for bad wheel bearing, look at the inboard side of the knuckle, where the axle shaft goes in the hub. If that area has caked on grease, it's likely a bad wheel bearing. You can raise the rear of the car and hold the wheel at the ends. Usually a bad wheel bearing will have a tiny bit of play. Also if you reverse then stop and go forward and stop with the transmission in neutral, you will hear a clunk. That is the play in the wheel, indicating a bad wheel bearing.
Old 06-17-2023, 10:21 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 965 Posts

I had an old GF with rear end noise problems. There's medication for that, now.

Sorry, the Devil may me do it.

Old 06-17-2023, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
To check for bad wheel bearing, look at the inboard side of the knuckle, where the axle shaft goes in the hub. If that area has caked on grease, it's likely a bad wheel bearing. You can raise the rear of the car and hold the wheel at the ends. Usually a bad wheel bearing will have a tiny bit of play. Also if you reverse then stop and go forward and stop with the transmission in neutral, you will hear a clunk. That is the play in the wheel, indicating a bad wheel bearing.
I’ve tried holding the rear wheels and shaking it but I had no play. But upon inspection I do have some grease caked up on the wheel knuckle (Passenger side, driver side has no grease)

I’m assuming this would be an definite indication of a bad wheel bearing? And if so should I also buy a new wheel hub with the new bearing? And should I do it to both driver and passenger side?
Old 06-17-2023, 06:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had same type of issue. Replaced the hub and bearing son both sides and now quiet as ever. Parts arent too expensive so I would go that route
windhund116 (06-17-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 02:07 AM

Received 412 Likes on 343 Posts

It's typical but not always the passenger side that goes first. Yeah it's likely a wheel bearing. Do them both, make sure you watch the diyguys video helps a ton.
Stev.tox (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 02:51 AM

Received 354 Likes on 329 Posts

+ if you wanna upgrade hubs maybe CRV front hub time and better $
Old 06-18-2023, 11:10 AM

Just brought new OEM bearings (44300-S84-A02)
and new hubs for the rears (Karcept rear hubs).
I will update if this is the solution to my problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stev.tox:
noodels (06-18-2023), windhund116 (06-18-2023)

Quick Reply: Rear end noise