S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear self leveling bolts?

Old 07-05-2018, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear self leveling bolts?

So my car failed it's MOT the other day due to: Headlamp levelling device inoperative (4.1.5 (a))

The test station said there was a bracket hanging off the rear suspension which could be the problem so I got my local welder/garage to fix that and took it back for a retest, however it still didn't pass as apparently the headlights are supposed to dip up and down when you turn them on and this isn't happening. My garage couldn't work out what to do so took it to the local Honda dealer today who say it needs new "rear self leveling bolts" at a cost of £440!

Now I really don't want to pay that much (and certainly not to my local Honda dealer who had only serviced it a few weeks ago and never mentioned anything being wrong with the headlights...), but I'm having trouble finding what spare part I actually need on the parts diagrams. I assume I will be able to get this fixed for less than I've been quoted, unfortunately either way I'll miss the free retest period Could anybody point me in the right direction please?

Cheers
Old 07-05-2018, 08:24 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

First off, this headlamp leveling thing is not something all markets got, US did not get them for example so might be better to ask in the UK section.
Secondly "the headlights are supposed to dip up and down when you turn them on" this is false and if you MOT station tells you that then I'm not sure what to do, maybe try somewhere else.
Easiest thing to test that the systems working is to just jack up the rear left while the headlamps are on, you should be able to see them compensating.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
First off, this headlamp leveling thing is not something all markets got, US did not get them for example so might be better to ask in the UK section.
Secondly "the headlights are supposed to dip up and down when you turn them on" this is false and if you MOT station tells you that then I'm not sure what to do, maybe try somewhere else.
Easiest thing to test that the systems working is to just jack up the rear left while the headlamps are on, you should be able to see them compensating.
Hi, thanks for your reply. I've just got back from having a discussion with my garage and we'd decided the same thing. They're going to ask the question for me to another MOT station about whether the lights absolutely have to do their little dance when turned on, if not then I'll take it there but the test has got more strict recently from May this year so who knows. The levelling definitely works under load, it's just this up down thing that tester seems to care about now.

As for my local Honda dealer, apparently all they said today was they could see the bolt had snapped & been repaired (yes, by my garage!) and would still need replacing, then charged £50 for the pleasure of this insight. They had no comment as to why they hadn't spotted this when they did the service a few weeks ago of course.

ps. Happy for the mods to move the post to UK forum if it's the correct place.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:02 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

So is Honda dealer saying if the bolt was replaced, the headlights would magically start doing and up down startup procedure?
Old 07-05-2018, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
So is Honda dealer saying if the bolt was replaced, the headlights would magically start doing and up down startup procedure?
Exactly, I don't think any of us are convinced!
Old 07-05-2018, 11:52 AM

What bolt did they think needed replacement?
I'm pretty sure you can get the up down startup thing if there is some kind of problem.
Think I've read a thread where someone was very sure it should do this on startup when in fact his system was faulty
Old 07-05-2018, 12:31 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

And I thought that the USA had some funky rules. Sorry I can't help you, but glad over here we don't have those type of head lights. Hope you get it appoved.
I would love to see a video of that light doing its dance on start up, never seen one do that here in the states.

ROD
Old 07-05-2018, 01:07 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Throw some mud on it and take it somewhere else.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
What bolt did they think needed replacement?
I'm pretty sure you can get the up down startup thing if there is some kind of problem.
Think I've read a thread where someone was very sure it should do this on startup when in fact his system was faulty
That's interesting to hear, I have never seen it happen myself actually. Can a UK member confirm that our lights are supposed to do this normally?
The bolt is connected to the rear passenger side suspension and then to some sensor on the other end which detects load levels and adjusts the headlight range accordingly.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:00 AM

Check this thread https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...rking-1160388/

Quick Reply: Rear self leveling bolts?