S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Redline MTL or MT90 ?

Old 07-28-2004, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redline MTL or MT90 ?

I'm starting to have mild 2nd gr shifts lately. Its a MY03 with 8k on it so far. I just recently changed my diff with mobil1, but I don't think this is relevant to the trans grinding. So... im gona try changing my tranny fluid, per most of the posts it looks like Redline is the best bet for hot weather. Now im not sure if I should use MLT or MT90, Roadrage your opinion is greatly appreciated

Also i see amsoil for diff oil, now i dont think this is gona affect my tranny grinding but I think going amsoil is the way to go, per manual it strictly said 90w. So im looking into doing this as well.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by forsaken,Jul 28 2004, 02:02 PM
I'm starting to have mild 2nd gr shifts lately. Its a MY03 with 8k on it so far. I just recently changed my diff with mobil1, but I don't think this is relevant to the trans grinding. So... im gona try changing my tranny fluid, per most of the posts it looks like Redline is the best bet for hot weather. Now im not sure if I should use MLT or MT90, Roadrage your opinion is greatly appreciated

Also i see amsoil for diff oil, now i dont think this is gona affect my tranny grinding but I think going amsoil is the way to go, per manual it strictly said 90w. So im looking into doing this as well.
I've heard that mixing 50% MTL and MT90 has had good responses in warm weather. I wanted to try it, but couldn't get my hands on any immediately. That will be my next fluid change on the tranny.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've tried MT-90, MTL, and MT-90 / MTL mix. None of them compare to GM Synchromesh Friction Modified (NOT the regular stuff). GMSFM is the first oil I've found that has solved my 2nd gear grinding long term. I have more than twice the miles on this batch of GMSFM than I have been able to do with any other oil, and I haven't had a single grind. When I was running fresh Honda MTF, I was grinding into 2nd almost daily.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:06 PM

Hmm the GM Synchromesh Friction Modified looks promising. have we ever tried running a lab analysis on these oils?

Gernby was the Mt-90 MTL still grinding for you?
Old 07-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor

I had 2nd gear grinding with EVERY oil in varying degrees prior to GMSFM. The next best thing to GMSFM was MT-90, but I would still get a 2nd gear grind about every 1K miles, and I had to change it about every 3K miles. Above 3K miles, it would start grinding about every 500 miles with MT-90.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:29 PM

[QUOTE=gernby,Jul 28 2004, 01:10 PM] I had 2nd gear grinding with EVERY oil in varying degrees prior to GMSFM.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Once I hit 1K miles, and started VTECing it (a LOT), I was grinding into 2nd gear 2-3 times per day (no shit). I tried going to have it waranteed, but they couldn't reproduct it (they wouldn't VTEC it!). I continued grinding into 2nd 2-3 times per day for about 5K miles (no shit). At about 6K miles, I changed my tranny oil with fresh Honda MTF, and it reduced my grinding to about once every 2-3 days. This lasted for about 1K miles, then started grinding more. I changed to GM Synchromesh (regular) and it improved to about once per week. Soon after that, I adjusted my clutch pedal to raise the engagement point, and it improved the grinding even more. However, the grinding would come back quite quickly as the oil aged, so I had to change the oil every 3K miles. I eventually changed to a few combinations of straight MT-90 and / or MTL or a mix with similar or better results, but the grinding would increase after 3K miles. Finally, I tried GM Synch Friction Modified, and it was friggin' awesome! I may have had 2 grinds in 3K miles (I guess due to the fact that I didn't flush the Redline out), so I went ahead and changed it with new GM Synch Friction Modified again after 3K miles. After this, I haven't had a single grind in probably 10 K miles! I figure I will change it again once I get another grind, but I have no idea when that will be.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Former Sponsor

I forgot...

I tried getting GMSFM at my local Chevy dealer, but all the had was the regular GMS. I called around to several other GM dealers, and found the Friction Modified version at a Cadillac dealer. If it doesn't say "Friction Modified" in big letters on the bottle, it ain't the right jiz!
Old 07-28-2004, 05:13 PM
Former Sponsor

BTW, I can't promise that GMSFM is going to be your miracle juice. From my readings, it seems that just about every S2000 tranny has a different preference. This is one picky bitch. What is jiz in one, is piss in another.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:21 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought the Redline MTL had solved my 1-2 grind problem as well, but the monster has creeped up on me again. The grinds are not as severe and not nearly as often, but it's done it twice in 3,000 miles with a new transmission. The last one was a medium hard grind as well. As soon as I finish this case of MTL I may give the GMSM FM a go. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Redline MTL or MT90 ?