S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Redline superlight shockproof gear oil

Old 05-02-2006, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redline superlight shockproof gear oil

well i have been searching around SD to find a redline dealer who sells all the products and this is the closest one i went to this shop in Santee and they had everything else but the bottle that just says 75W90 but i came across this one that was a synthetic superlight shockproof oil and since it was close to the 75W90, on the bottle it says 70W90 its sounded pretty close. i read in this site that heavy duty shockproof is bad but since this one said superlight shockproof i bought it. but i havent used it yet i want to verify with you guys b4 i really cause problems. can someone shed some light on this situation please.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:58 AM

How soon you going to run it before you change it?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:17 AM

I have it in my diff right now with about 8000 miles and it hasn't blown up

I have a track event this weekend and was thinking about swapping it out before to have a look at it. I have a bottle of LE607 waiting though so I haven't thought about whether or not I'd use it again.

FYI, You can order Redline products from jegs.com. The best prices I've seen and free 1-2 day shipping (small handling fee though).
Old 05-02-2006, 12:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the shockproof line should NOT be used for long term or regular OCIs for your diff. shockproof is more of a very short term track use type of fluid. it wears out extremely quickly, and if left in too long, has the potential to cause short/long term damage to the diff.

to the person who says they have 8000 miles with redline shockproof, that's a very risky roll of the dice you're taking. do a UOA of your diff fluid and i bet they're gonna tell you that you should have changed it quite some time ago. your diff hasn't blown up... yet.

so, don't use shockproof except for track days and very short term use.

also, to be honest, redline regular diff fluid isn't very good either. while that fluid lasts longer than the shockproof, it doesn't last very long either compared to mobil 1 or LE607 or other such diff fluids. it breaks down quickly, and the UOAs we have seen of it have been less than impressive.

spend your money elsewhere, and your diff will thank you for it.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:15 PM

i dont track my car but i do some spirited driving but is it ok then if i change it everyother oil change if i were to keep on using the superlight shockproof gear oil. ~and when u guys service yer tranny and diff yourselfs do u guys do the tube in the cap way or using the fluid gun.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:20 PM

you want to change it every other oil change, which to me means at LEAST 10,000 miles. our cars can go easily 5000 miles between changes on a good conventional oil and closer to 10,000 miles on synthetic oil. anything less is generally wasteful. if you're using mobil 1 every 3000 miles, you should be shot.

anyways, no i don't think you're understanding what I'm saying.

A. redline diff fluids aren't very good to begin with, so i'm unsure why someone would be so attached to them. UOAs have shown this. at 6000 miles, I think the redline fluids show the same amount of wear as UOAs of mobil 1 and LE 607 at more than TWICE that mileage.

B. redline shockproof diff fluids are good in the very short time they last. and i'm talking probably 1000-2000 miles for the heavy duty shockproof.

So, I'd imagine lightweight shockproof will fall between that. 2000-6000 miles. somewhere between there.

in other words, use something else, IMO.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

just buy what you want online? or go to pep boys, autozone etc and pck up some mobil 1 75w90?
Old 05-02-2006, 01:24 PM

see cuz the only reason i was all gung ho about redline cuz i was thinkin well their brand is highly talked about so i was goin on hearsay ya know but thank you for shedding some light to me gonna go to autozone pick up some moblie 1. thanks for the help
Old 05-02-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,May 2 2006, 12:13 PM
to the person who says they have 8000 miles with redline shockproof
Wisconsin, thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely get that outta there this weekend. Do you have any links to the UOA's you spoke of? Thanks!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:07 PM

We have them I believe in the oil journals. unfortunately, those threads seem to be temporarily "dead" at the moment. the links should be fixed soon hopefully.

Quick Reply: Redline superlight shockproof gear oil