S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Refurbish seats - foam replacement

Old 05-09-2022, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Refurbish seats - foam replacement

Hello,
I’m in the process of slowly refurbishing my MY2002. I did a few mechanical updates, and now working on the interior. Cleaned up the carpets as the $1000 price tag for AP2 carpet from Japan was a bit much for me. They turned out really great (took the driver’s side out of the car for heavy duty cleaning). But I digress…
I’ve bought leather seat covers, and I’m thinking to also replace the driver side foam. Part 81532-S2A-013.
I did repair the left bolster a couple of years ago with the methods from this site and YouTube, and it turned out great. But I’m thinking since I will take the leather covers out again, perhaps get a new seat foam cushion. Any suggestion for any place that sells it (incl shipping) under the $350-400 I can find online?
I’m in CA 92011 if that matters.

And for future reference, I’m thinking to have the car fully repainted, after I’ll be done with the seats. Too many rock chips and minor scratches to touch up, even if the paint otherwise has hold up really well. I did apply touch ups like an idiot, but they look like crap. I took my kids Mazda CX-9 to Tijuana and they did a great paint job, but I’m told the paint job will only last 4-5 years. I want to get a really good paint job (paint itself and the work has to be done right). Also briefly looked into wraps, but I don’t think it’s what I want. Paint is Sebring Silver, btw.

Thank you for any suggestions,
George
Old 05-10-2022, 12:20 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

HI, can you share a diagram of the replacement OEM Honda foam for the seats? I am buying an 2008 red with horrible OEM seats, which I do intend to do once I receive the car. Much appreciated.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:13 AM

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,013 Posts

When these cars were new, didn't take long before seat bolster started to compress and fold over. So new oem cushion doesn't seem like ideal long term solution.

Thinking of adding some sort of diy bolster reinforcement when I restore my seats. Weld reinforcement to seat pan. Cut slice in bolster for reinforcement to slide into.

Reinforcement needs to stand up to persons weight, not tend to cut foam as weight applied. Not bulge foam to distort bolster shape. Not be felt through foam.

I'm thinking of a thick metal rod, maybe .25", bent into inverted U shape, that somewhat matches bolster contour.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by robjoshua228@yahoo.com
HI, can you share a diagram of the replacement OEM Honda foam for the seats? I am buying an 2008 red with horrible OEM seats, which I do intend to do once I receive the car. Much appreciated.
If you search for the p/n I’ve posted above you’ll find this diagram:

Old 05-11-2022, 04:36 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

When I recovered my seats, I found that the driver's side bolster foam had split. I used some canvas material and upholstery adhesive to add strips to reinforce the bolster. By wrapping the strips down the side and between the hog ring attachments, as well as covering the split, I was able to get it back into shape.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:05 PM

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Interesting. I can see the canvas acting to prevent foam splitting again.

That is my concern, long term, prevent happening all over again.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I have already refurbed the bolster in a similar manner, so the intent to my post if to see if there’s a source for the OEM foam that’s less than the $350-400 I can find online.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:21 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Very informative, need to wait to see the seats personally before deciding on next move, as they might be have been cut or ripped, in which cans a full upholstry job is required
Old 05-13-2022, 08:50 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

The only source for OEM foam is used, but most likely if you find a donor seat for the driver's side the bolster on that will be smashed up too.

I used a passenger seat bottom foam from a used seat because you're more likely to find a good conditioned passenger side. The bottom foam is not the same as the driver's side because it won't have the stock cutout for the driver's side metal seat bolster. If you go this route, you will need to cut out a slit on your own.

Old 09-16-2023, 06:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Still no seat foam suppliers? Can’t believe an aftermarket company in that business hasn’t stepped up, seems to be a common problem….

Quick Reply: Refurbish seats - foam replacement