S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

replace crush washers?

Old 10-22-2002, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replace crush washers?

Ok. I plan to change the transmission fluid. Do I need new bolts or just new crush washers? I saw the washers at H and A and have ordered some, so I'm assuming you re-use the bolts and just put on new washers? Forgive my ignorance. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Those bolts just work as plugs.. never need replacement. I use the washers a couple of times (flipping them) before replacing.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:10 AM

Someone told me that you can flip the washers and use them again. I'm not sure if this is good practice, but it seems logical.

I was like you and ordered all my filters and washers from HandA before I received the car.

I used the same oil drain plug for a long time until the dealership crushed the washer a bit too much. I wasn't able to get the washer off, so I had to buy another one. I actually bought 2 more just to be sure.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes you use the same bolts BUT it is best to change the crush washer each and everytime you pull the drain plug (and fill plug in this case. for the .25 cents Honda charges it's worth the extra protection

The lower tranny drain plus is the same as the oil drain washer BUT the fill is much bigger.. hit your local honda dealer they should have the washers in stock
Old 10-23-2002, 09:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I use the same washers over and over but I've never flipped them. The under side of the bolt head can cause ridges and I want to keep the ridges on the same side all the time. Have never had one leak yet. I have a bunch of new spares hanging from my workbench but in the heat of the moment (mechanically speaking), I just can't be bothered to get a new one. Maybe after a dozen changes, I might put a new one on.
Old 11-23-2002, 08:20 PM

I don't see the use of Honda's oil "crush" washer.. an o ring built into the oil pan bolt would have worked much better...
Old 11-23-2002, 09:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by dundonr
I don't see the use of Honda's oil "crush" washer.. an o ring built into the oil pan bolt would have worked much better...
I agree. This is the first car I've owned that has used this system. My 11 year old Caravan had the washer integrated into the bolt and it was never a problem, however, I'm not so sure that oil pan was aluminum or if that would make a difference.
Old 11-23-2002, 10:31 PM

These aren't true crush washers, the real thing by nomenclature looks like a spark plug gasket and you can feel it deform as you tighten it. The drain plug washers are just soft aluminium, and like xviper, I reuse them until they look scuffed. But, then again, for a quarter or so...
Old 11-24-2002, 04:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there is a visible deformation of the washer, I would consider it a crush washer, for the sake of argument.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always thought that the purpose of a crush washer (in addition to sealing) was to place a slight amount of pressure back on the head of the bolt (and therefore on the threads) as added safety to prevent the bolt from backing out.....

Quick Reply: replace crush washers?