S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replaced Starter and Knock Sensor

Old 12-13-2008, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Replaced Starter and Knock Sensor

Ok so I have MY 02 with 37k miles, my starter was starting to squeel a little bit every now and then so replaced it. Of course i didn't see the Green Knock sensor and it was broken (not sure by me or my transmission replacement before) but anyways replaced with OEM knock sensor, and got a Duralast starter with lifetime warranty from Autozone bc it was like half the price. Got everything back together and started fine.

Went to start it today to get oil changed at Marysville Honda and it wouldn't start. It was cranking, lights were fine, battery was fine. Tried to jump it and finally got it started. Got to Honda (about 40 min drive) and barely started there. They checked battery and it's perfect, just few months old as well. Checked my charging system diagnosis and all of it is perfect. Said starter is testing fine, but I have a feeling it might be the starter!??? Anyone have any advise or ideas. It's greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.

James

Columbus, Ohio
Old 12-13-2008, 12:26 PM

I forgot to add that I didn't get the top starter bolt back in yet either, seems like a lot of people have a problem with that. I'm gonna have to tear the car back apart it seems but let me know if anyone has any ideas. I made sure to hook back all the ground wires too and everything .... Thanks again!
Old 12-13-2008, 01:20 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually there are a number of us that don't have that upper bolt in place. I left it out to save time on the next change. My car is a track only car and will be apart more offten then most.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Grounds would still be my guess. But I don't know anyone else using the Duralast starter...maybe it's not completely up to OEM specs?
Old 12-13-2008, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loose and charred-up ground was my problem when I had a '96 Integra.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Former Moderator

Received 296 Likes on 275 Posts

Never had much luck with any Autozone starter or alternator. Usually takes 2-3 "lifetime" warranty parts to get 1 that actually works.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:09 PM

Thanks for all the info guys --- so i checked my plugs (ngk 7173) and they need changed but figured i would mention that when the car turns over (cranking) it seems to get faster and faster as it's going longer. Takes about 10 secs of cranking to get going.

Let me know if this helps anything else.

Thanks Slows2k for the info - im gonna take it out here next few days and demand they take it back (of course not telling them i installed it) and hopefully they will. Any other suggestions. I know i put all the grounds back on, maybe one isn't getting good connection.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kirpich,Dec 13 2008, 09:11 PM
Loose and charred-up ground was my problem when I had a '96 Integra.
Thanks for the tip man, I didn't find any loose, and they were all clean looking, car has very low miles and always in the garage so nothing is rusting or junk built up on it that i could see.

I will have to loosen them and re-tighten just to be sure. I also wonder if it's hitting the flywheel at a weird angle since it's starting slow and then speeding up ....
Old 12-14-2008, 01:34 PM

UPDATE - Well got the top bolt in, changed all my spark plugs bc got a misfire CEL, took all the connections off, made sure they were clean and good grounds, and still back to square one. Gonna go spend a few hrs and take the thing out now. Must be a bad starter, this pi$$es me off so much time spent and nothing!

Gonna see if i can just return the stupid thing to autozone for a refund and get one from Honda. We'll see but I don't feel like doing this ALL OVER AGAIN!

I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if the misfire was as a result of slow cranking during startup. If it was during idling, you might have a restricted intake or exhaust, i.e. not enough air being able to enter engine due to rodent's partying, or clogged up exhaust (does it sound funny?). If it fires up, feel the exhaust gas flow with both hands in front of exhaust tips, maybe one is clogged up all the way, or whatnot.

Quick Reply: Replaced Starter and Knock Sensor