S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replaced TCT now misfiring

Old 05-26-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replaced TCT now misfiring [sound clip added]

Hi, i replaced the TCT in my 03 last night with a ballade sport. The slight ticking seemed to have went away and all seemed to be ok. However, after a 1/2hr drive today i noticed the car have intermittent hesitation almost like a misfire or bogging down every other second. It might just be the spark plugs going bad but i fear it might be more serious since this happened right after the TCT replacement. my question is, is there any way that during the TCT procedure it could have caused one of the teeth to misalign. I didnt have to turn the engine block. Also, when i took off the middle bolt that supposedly releases the tension of the TCT it came off very easily, almost like there was no compression in the spring.

I'll be pulling the CEL when i get home however thats another 1/2hr drive so i'm hestitant to drive it for that long without addressing the problem.

Hoping this is nothing serious. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Update: I replaced the spark plugs when i got home and It drove ok for a little while but once it got up to temperature it got a lot of hesitation again. Much more noticeable at idle and low rpms. I pulled the codes and got P1415 which its had for a while due to a crack in the intake hose. But this time i also got a pending 1399 misfire code. I don't see a drop in the rpm in anyway but i really feel the hesitation at idle. I've attached a sound clip from the exhaust side.

Also, this has happened before but i hear bubbling in the coolant reservoir and it was near empty. However, the coolant didn't appear milky in any way.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
misfire.mp3 (319.6 KB, 60 views)
Old 05-27-2017, 12:56 AM

bump.. for added sound clip
Old 05-27-2017, 01:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Couple of questions.
Did you remove the stock air box for the install?
-did you reinstall all hoses in their correct positions?
Did you correctly use the bolt and wing nut to compress the piston down?
-Was it fully sunken in before installing it?
Did you make sure you installed it when the chain is loose?
-Should be easy to push in with not much resistance.

If all else fails, pull the valve cover off and see if your chain skipped a tooth.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by s2cho
Couple of questions.
Did you remove the stock air box for the install?
-did you reinstall all hoses in their correct positions?
Did you correctly use the bolt and wing nut to compress the piston down?
-Was it fully sunken in before installing it?
Did you make sure you installed it when the chain is loose?
-Should be easy to push in with not much resistance.

If all else fails, pull the valve cover off and see if your chain skipped a tooth.
hi s2cho,
Thanks for the help. to answer your questions:
-I didn't remove any hoses or airbox. Just unbolted and bolted in new.
-i didn't compress the wingnut, I guess I assumed it was already. Is this a necessary step?
-it went in very easily, I didn't have to force anything.

​​I think I'll be taking your recommendation and take off the valve cover. I've been meaning to do a valve adjustment anyway so I guess it's good timing. Once I have it open I'll probably take a picture as I don't really know what I'm looking for.

​​​​
Old 05-27-2017, 04:32 AM

[I've attached some photos with the valve cover open.]

Ok so i opened up the valve cover and i cant see anything obvious. Seems like the chain is tensioned, TCT doing its job. I did pull the TCT again, and it was fairly easy to push in and out, is that normal?

Also, 3 of the 4 coil pack plugs had the plastic harden that they completely broke when i took them off. Can i just replace the plug or do i need a new harness.

Also, there was some oil in the plug for the vtec solenoid. Not sure if that means anything but worth noting.

I guess the next step is the valve adjustment. Is there anything that I should check or do while i have the cover open?

thanks,
Attached Thumbnails Replaced TCT now misfiring-imag2873.jpg   Replaced TCT now misfiring-imag2874.jpg   Replaced TCT now misfiring-imag2876.jpg   Replaced TCT now misfiring-imag2875.jpg  
Old 05-27-2017, 07:29 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by captb
when i took off the middle bolt that supposedly releases the tension of the TCT it came off very easily, almost like there was no compression in the spring
Based on this statement, be sure there are no missing parts inside, particularly the service spring.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:34 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by captb
I did pull the TCT again, and it was fairly easy to push in and out, is that normal?
If you are referring to the TCT piston being easy to push in and out, that does not sound normal. This also sounds indicative of a missing spring, just be sure all parts are accounted for.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
If you are referring to the TCT piston being easy to push in and out, that does not sound normal. This also sounds indicative of a missing spring, just be sure all parts are accounted for.
Hi Billman,
I would compare it to a firm toilet roll holder.. if that makes sense. i had to push down against the table to make it compress all the way, but it really was not that difficult.

I took some pictures assembled and disassembled. Do you see any missing parts?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Replaced TCT now misfiring-imag2886.jpg   Replaced TCT now misfiring-imag2887.jpg  
Old 05-27-2017, 02:19 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Wait, so you didn't remove the service access plug? How did you remove the grenade pin?
Old 05-27-2017, 05:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Wait, so you didn't remove the service access plug? How did you remove the grenade pin?

Ballade Sport TCT doesn't use the pin. The 8mm bolt and wingnut holds the tensioner in place.

Quick Reply: Replaced TCT now misfiring