S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replaced tct timing chain tensioner and hear a supercharger whine noise

Old 11-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced tct timing chain tensioner and hear a supercharger whine noise

Just popped in a ballade motorsports tct and now I'm hearing a whining noise that sounds like a supercharger, greaat. I read up a lot before doing this and did it exactly as it said to in the DIY write ups. I did not have to force in the tct by any means, it went straight in. I started it up and went for a drive to test it out and didn't hear anything until I was back in my neighborhood about maybe 7-10 minutes later when I noticed it. Wtf, should I just hope my engine doesn't blow up, or should I take it out and re-fit it? Or is this normal? Serious answers only please, thanks in advance to those who help.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it make the noise at idle? After I installed a new TCT, I noticed our cars ( ap1s only I believe) make a howling noise. The noise is louder with the airbox top removed. I just first noticed it after the tct install because I was a little nervous and was extra sensitive to any noise.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:01 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

does it sound like ball bearing noise or a whine of like a whipple supercharger???
Old 11-07-2014, 05:44 PM
Banned

To me it sounds like a supercharger, I can't really hear it idling unless I give it gas. I can hear it when I'm driving and accelerating but only if I'm next to a wall until I get into higher rpm's because my car is loud. I'm fairly certain it was not there before
Old 11-08-2014, 04:52 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

If its whining, the chain is overtightened plain and simple. And if you leave it like that it will destroy the engine, starting with the camwheel bushing. The chain should be whisper silent.

There can be no preload on the chain at all.

How many miles on your engine?

Did the TCT sit flush with the block, without holding it in?
Old 11-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Billman250
If its whining, the chain is overtightened plain and simple. And if you leave it like that it will destroy the engine, starting with the camwheel bushing. The chain should be whisper silent. There can be no preload on the chain at all. How many miles on your engine? Did the TCT sit flush with the block, without holding it in?
It's not loud but I did notice it. Like I said, I was able to fit in the new TCT perfectly without forcing it in at all which is why I am confused as to how it may be too tight. My engine has 123k on it, runs great.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:57 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Did the TCT sit flush with the block before you put the bolts in? It should sit there flush without holding it.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Billman250
Did the TCT sit flush with the block before you put the bolts in? It should sit there flush without holding it.
Yeah it did sit flush without the bolts. What should I do, just take it off and re-fit? What should I do when re-fitting it to ensure it doesn't happen again? Thank you for the help.
Also just making sure, I did say it isn't very loud at all just something I noticed after changing it out
Old 11-10-2014, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post a video up
Old 11-10-2014, 09:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by civdaddy
Post a video up
ok I'll get one up sometime tomorrow

Quick Reply: Replaced tct timing chain tensioner and hear a supercharger whine noise