S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.
View Poll Results: Roof catches/strikers - where is your notch?
Nearest the windows
44.44%
Nearest the interior light
44.44%
I dont have a notch!
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Roof catches/strikers - where is your notch?

Old 02-10-2002, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof catches/strikers - where is your notch?

Having had problems with a leaky roof Im interested to know where the notch is on your roof catches on the windshield - is it towards the inside of the car, ie nearest the interior light or to the outside, nearest the windows???

Keith
Old 02-11-2002, 02:52 PM

It shouldn't matter where it is, because it shouldn't be there. There is a recall out there on the soft top slatches (striker plates actually). Honda will replace them under warranty. Use/print the following if the dealer is hesitant to replace it.

https://www.s2ki.com/library/service/TSB.pdf
Old 02-12-2002, 01:05 AM

Hi Brent,

I thought I did have the new striker plates - my local dealer (Fleet Honda) said they had replaced them.

So your plates dont have any notch???

Back to the dealer I guess.

Thanks for the info.

Keith
Old 02-12-2002, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by Tyringe
Hi Brent,

I thought I did have the new striker plates - my local dealer (Fleet Honda) said they had replaced them.

So your plates dont have any notch???

Back to the dealer I guess.

Thanks for the info.

Keith
I have the new hard top stiker plates, not the original soft top plates. I do not have notches anymore (4 months, top down only twice). It took three trips to convince Honda to replace them. This was before the TSB.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Can someone post a picture of the new vs. old?

I'm not sure I understand what I'm supposed to be looking for. I've had my top up and down a lot and don't notice any noise or rattle, but if there's something better out there under warranty, I'd like to know about it
Old 02-12-2002, 01:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ludedude
[B]Can someone post a picture of the new vs. old?

I'm not sure I understand what I'm supposed to be looking for.
Old 02-13-2002, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Ah, OK....I was a bit confused, cause along the leading edge of the striker plate (stock, soft top) there is a notch (square almost) that keep the hook in place and prevents lateral movement. I take it that what you're talking about is the notch that develops on the lower surface (facing the carpet) of the striker plate as a result of the hook dragging across it while trying to close the top. I noticed after the first time that I closed it that the hook was scratching the finish (paint? dumbasses...) and exposing the metal underneath. I now prevent that from happening by pulling on the handle along the front edge of the top while I close the strikers.

There is a very definite "good" order of closure in my car in order to eliminate the gouging of the plate by the hook. When opening, the left catch must be opened first...if I open the right side first, then the left side becomes much harder to open without catching on the strikeplate. When closing, it's the reverse...the passenger (right) side must be closed first (again while pulling on the handle in the center) and then the left (drivers) side is easy to close.

I don't know if that's just the result of manufacturing "character" in my particular car or not. Mine does not whistle or leak (yet) but it's only got 988 miles on it...but the roof has been up and down at least two dozen times even in the northeast winter weather

In any case, are the hardtop strikers made of a much stronger material such that they don't get "notched" by the hooks on the top itself?

Man...are we anal about these cars or what?
Old 02-14-2002, 08:50 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ludedude
[B]Ah, OK....I was a bit confused, cause along the leading edge of the striker plate (stock, soft top) there is a notch (square almost) that keep the hook in place and prevents lateral movement.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:47 AM

I am amazed that the strikers on some S2000s are not scratched.

The striker plates on my car are also scratched, marred; it is difficult to keep them from being scratched more, but with proper extreme care like what Ludedude does, I suppose it is possible.

I wonder if the newer striker plates are not quite as thick where it might be scratched, thus the hook has more operating clearance from the striker.
Old 02-14-2002, 02:09 PM

I'll let you know. I am getting mine replaced next week. I will ask them for the old ones back too.

Quick Reply: Roof catches/strikers - where is your notch?