S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rotor Turning at 16k miles?

Old 01-24-2006, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor Turning at 16k miles?

I went and got a brake check done at 15k miles because of some intermittent squealing from the right front brake. They told me I had 25% left on the brakes and that my rotors had "hot spots" (their words) and they would have to send the rotors to be machined for $250 which seemed a little excessive a price. For that price, I would think they should give me new rotors, that's a little rediculous.

I bought pads already, I'm in agreement that those need to be changed.

What questions do I ask them to determine if I really need a rotor resurfacing? Should one in general resurface the rotors for every brake pad change?

- Chris
Old 01-24-2006, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, you definately don't have to resurface the rotars for every change. However, there are times you will need to.

Is it 250 per rotor, or 250 for all 4 rotors? You can buy new rotors for $312 from HTG + shipping. Personally I'd spend the extra 70 bucks on the new rotors.

If you don't think your rotors need replacing, take it to a different dealership or to a different brake place. Don't tell them what the other dealership said, just let them make their own conclusions. That way you know if they are being honest.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:39 AM

They wanted that much to do the front brakes and rotors.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:38 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Forget "their words". What do the rotors look like? Are they heavily grooved? Are you getting any brake chatter? If so, it may be beneficial to have them turned. If you take the rotors off yourself and deliver them to a machine shop (some auto parts stores have them in the back), you can get them turned for $15.00 apiece or less. If you don't have any symptoms besides squealing, I wouldn't get them turned.

When they turn your rotors, they remove some mass. This will result in slightly higher rotor temps. Also, each time they turn them, they get thinner. You will have to replace them sooner if there isn't enough mass left.

To minimize the squealing, make sure you put some anti-squeal compound between the back shim and the brake pad when you install them.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Empedocles99,Jan 24 2006, 11:30 AM
I went and got a brake check done at 15k miles because of some intermittent squealing from the right front brake. They told me I had 25% left on the brakes and that my rotors had "hot spots" (their words) and they would have to send the rotors to be machined for $250 which seemed a little excessive a price. For that price, I would think they should give me new rotors, that's a little rediculous.

I bought pads already, I'm in agreement that those need to be changed.

What questions do I ask them to determine if I really need a rotor resurfacing? Should one in general resurface the rotors for every brake pad change?

- Chris
Did you look at the rotors? did they have "hot spots"?? I would NEVER.... NEVER pay $250 to have the front rotors turned. I would NEVER pay that much to have all 4 turned.

It's a rip.... you can get your rotors turned for usually around $10 bucks per...

You must be doing some hard ass braking to need rotor turning at only 15k due to "hot spots"...

Have you tried keeping your wheels clean and cleaning the brake dust every other day?... that will help with the squeak...

Tim
Old 01-24-2006, 02:32 PM

Received 1,271 Likes on 775 Posts

You are getting ripped.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hell at my shop I charge like 5 bucks per rotor that needs to be turned. It isnt hard.. the brake lathe does all the work.

Tell them to kiss your ass and leave lol.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

most auto parts stores will turn the rotors for a few bucks if you bring them in.

they are VERY easy to take off.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:38 PM

don't resurface them, put new ones on....
Old 01-24-2006, 10:57 PM

I kinda figured it was a rediculous price, that's why I told them to put the wheels back on and I would go home and get it fixed later. I am not foolish enough to let them do work when I am doubtful of the situation. I bought pads from handa, not from the dealership.

The braking action is still strong, and there is no vibration.

Tim:
When I took it in, there was definitely an abnormal wear pattern on one of the rotors, but now that seems to not be the case. Usually there are grains going circularly around the hub across the rotor, that's what it looks like now. When I took it in a couple weeks ago, this is probably what triggered the 'hot spots' comment, there was a wavy segment, it was the same shape as if you were to spin the rotor and drip water over the same spot -- a wavy splotchy band on the rotor.

I clean the brake dust off with some wheel cleaner probably every 2 months (used to be every month), so there shouldn't be too much build up.

So anyways, I will just get the brakes changed, I think. Worst case if my rotor is unevenly worn, I just wear out my pads faster right?

- Chris

Quick Reply: Rotor Turning at 16k miles?