S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Royal Purple question

Old 07-25-2018, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal Purple question

After reading through many threads it seems that people don’t really like/use Royal Purple products. Did I read over something? An additive that doesn’t play well with Hondas Just being curious.

Thanks
Chris
Old 07-25-2018, 05:29 AM

Received 1,451 Likes on 973 Posts

In engine, transmission, and/or differential? I've been using RP Synchomax in the tranz, since I bought the 2007 model, several years ago. I like it, in terms of shifting "feel." I use 5W-30 Mobil One Extended, in engine and Mobil One 75W-140 in the diff ---> For the last four changes.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok cool. From what I read most are using AMSOIL products. I think your using exactly what LHT Performance uses in there cars. SOS uses Castrol GTX oil. I do not remember what they use for trans and diff fluid. SakeBomb Garage I think uses Motul products.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:49 AM

Received 1,227 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by UTRN
Ok cool. From what I read most are using AMSOIL products. I think your using exactly what LHT Performance uses in there cars. SOS uses Castrol GTX oil. I do not remember what they use for trans and diff fluid. SakeBomb Garage I think uses Motul products.

Assuming you mean engine oil...

Well, beware that while Amsoil is good oil, their salesman are like snake oil salesman, and there is a LOT of propaganda by Amsoil folks talking about how Royal P or some other oil basically destroyed their car in one oil change, or how other oils burned away in no time while they burn zero with Amsoil. Yeah it is good oil .. no it is not magic and no those other oils did not put the death sentence on their engine.

I used Amsoil for a bit when I was getting a good discount on it. Burned no more or no less, no issues either. I think WAAAAAYYYY too much edge data is put into peoples choices in oil personally. And to be clear, Blackstone, while not in the business of recommending one oil over another, states most of their employees just use a decent non-synthetic "dino" oil in their cars Sorry, had to put the dino in quotes since oil did not really come from dinosaurs, it came mostly from tiny bacteria and plants :P

I ran RP in one of my cars for 6 years, I have run M1 in most other cars I own ... never have had one issue related to oil ever. I wont spend extra on Amsoil and I wont go cheapo either, so today I run M1 in all my cars. I can get it for a good price, get it anywhere that sells oil, and it is good oil.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For engine oil - I swear by Mobile 1 and won't deviate from it. For Trans, diff, etc.... it is more important to use the right weight at the appropriate intervals than any brand so long as you are sticking with a reputable brand. Royal purple is great, Castrol is great and there are some other boutique type brands as well.

This is like asking what tires are best.... I will only ever buy Michelin for any car regardless of performance or season variant. Some people are different and don't mind others. You'll get equally varying responses and very little scientific explanations with objective data about oil, tires and most other things when it comes to brands.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer
Assuming you mean engine oil...

Well, beware that while Amsoil is good oil, their salesman are like snake oil salesman, and there is a LOT of propaganda by Amsoil folks talking about how Royal P or some other oil basically destroyed their car in one oil change, or how other oils burned away in no time while they burn zero with Amsoil. Yeah it is good oil .. no it is not magic and no those other oils did not put the death sentence on their engine.

I used Amsoil for a bit when I was getting a good discount on it. Burned no more or no less, no issues either. I think WAAAAAYYYY too much edge data is put into peoples choices in oil personally. And to be clear, Blackstone, while not in the business of recommending one oil over another, states most of their employees just use a decent non-synthetic "dino" oil in their cars Sorry, had to put the dino in quotes since oil did not really come from dinosaurs, it came mostly from tiny bacteria and plants :P

I ran RP in one of my cars for 6 years, I have run M1 in most other cars I own ... never have had one issue related to oil ever. I wont spend extra on Amsoil and I wont go cheapo either, so today I run M1 in all my cars. I can get it for a good price, get it anywhere that sells oil, and it is good oil.
Hard to beat M1 with Walmart and Amazon pricing on 5 quart jugs!
Old 07-25-2018, 07:24 AM

It is hard to beat that pricing! I can almost always get it for $25ish for a 5 qt jug.

People also need to think about the application. The tires comment above is a perfect example. My S, for the time being, will ONLY get BFG Rival S or Bridgestone RE-71R tires on it. That is because its primary use is autox and those are the two top street tires for autox. If I were tracking the car, they would not be my top choice because one of the reasons they work so great for autox is also the reason they get hot quick and dont do as well on track sessions. For my truck and suv, I tend to get great results out of Firestone Destination tires. For my regular DD, I have been fine with Generals.

Brake fluid is the same. I see these people buying Project Mu (again, WAY overpriced IMO.. mostly buying a name) fluid for their S2k show car that never sees any race use. 100% waste of money. A DD does not need the temp resistance of a race car and thus in that application the higher dollar fluids really are not any better in that application.

But engine oil comes with its whole overly subjective data, which almost always is preference. My dad owns a shop and has never used high dollar oil in a customers car unless they specifically ask for it. For people who change on a proper interval, he, in 50+ years of doing what he does, has never seen any truly oil related issues from those customers and really cant see any difference in the life of their cars, how they wore, etc. He runs a bit more expensive oil in his motorocyles, but just runs a decent conventional oil in his cars based upon his experience. For something that will see more abuse, he leans towards synthetics, but in that case M1 or similar.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:28 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Euro_Ricer
Hard to beat M1 with Walmart and Amazon pricing on 5 quart jugs!
Mobil1 recommendations around here usually come with the caveat that you need to check your consumption levels regularly. The oil itself seems to be fine, according to Bob is the oil guy forums, but lots of people, myself included, have found that it has a tendency to cook off a bit faster, all things equal.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by VashTheStampede
Mobil1 recommendations around here usually come with the caveat that you need to check your consumption levels regularly. The oil itself seems to be fine, according to Bob is the oil guy forums, but lots of people, myself included, have found that it has a tendency to cook off a bit faster, all things equal.
I honestly did not notice a difference between the time I ran Amsoil and M1 in this category. However, I ran Amsoil for about one season and was not religiously tracking consumption amounts per mile. So I probably do not have enough data to tell or the difference is small. Also, sometimes my car goes a month with just some normal driving, and sometimes there are multiple autox events and practice autox events (30+ runs) where I spend decent amounts of time near the rev limiter and times where the car idles for long periods sitting in grid, so I would need to map the oil type and the type of usage to get a better gauge. Instead I am lazy and just check it before I drive it :P
Old 07-25-2018, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by VashTheStampede
I use it in every car. My 911 only sees an annual oil change because it doesn't get the miles to do it more. I also get blackstone results and it comes back perfect with no consumption. 90% of the miles on it are aggressive mountain drives so when it comes out it does get driven. Admittedly, mountain drives are nowhere near the heat of track or autocross.

My daily driver sees ~30K miles a year and gets blackstone done also - perfect results and no consumption.

My OPINION is that these people drive very hard and will get similar results regardless of oil.

Last comment from the peanut gallery.... people need to understand that maintenance schedules are very different for tracked, autocross and street driving - even the most aggressive street driving. Take Porsche GT cars vs regular variants of their sports cars. The price difference has little to do with the engine or shocks.... It's all about the suspension components, connectors and bushings. They are made for track and if you track them have very different levels of maintenance as well as consumables that may never get replaced on a typical street car. On an S2000, it is important to understand how to maintain your car according to it's use. You'll get a number of opinions with this regard and the internet is an interesting place to read but spending time with likeminded people at events will be a much better path to understanding how to maintain your car. More people talk like(some even believe it) they are professional drivers online than actually race so be cognitive of this.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple question