S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 Engine Clicking

Old 02-15-2018, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 Engine Clicking

Hey all,

So I've got a rattle/clicking noise that comes from my engine whenever it is hot or cold. I do not suspect it is the TCT as I had that replaced a few years ago with the Billman modification, and the noise that occurs is different as well. Below is a YouTube link for a recording of the rattle. If anyone has an idea what the issue is, your input is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:01 PM
Naz

Goin on how it sounds , maybe valve lifters, i dont want to say engine knock. I know it might be dumb question but hows ur oil level the last time u vtec'd. But def pop the valve cover and check valve lash. If thats fine and its not the tct. I hope its not a rod knock. I had that happen to me. Hope this helps. Ohh also drain the oik if you can chsck to see if you see metal scrapings in the waste oil. Hope its something minor.. p.s. im nit a mechanic. This is just based on my experience with my own S
Old 02-15-2018, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Naz
Goin on how it sounds , maybe valve lifters, i dont want to say engine knock. I know it might be dumb question but hows ur oil level the last time u vtec'd. But def pop the valve cover and check valve lash. If thats fine and its not the tct. I hope its not a rod knock. I had that happen to me. Hope this helps. Ohh also drain the oik if you can chsck to see if you see metal scrapings in the waste oil. Hope its something minor.. p.s. im nit a mechanic. This is just based on my experience with my own S
Hey Naz, thanks for the reply. I did a oil change earlier today, and I did not notice any metal shavings inside. Can you go into further detail about a valve lash? I performed a valve adjustment recently, but the noise has been occurring prior to the valve adjustment.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That sounds like the AP1 that I drive regularly. Of course, the ticking may be louder than mine in real life... it's difficult to tell from the video. Did it get louder suddenly?

For what it's worth, I have driven mine very spiritedly for 15k miles of so (HPDEs, autocross, back roads, etc.) sounding just like that and it's doing just fine. How loud is it from the cabin? I can hear mine mildly ticking for a couple minutes until it gets warm then it gets pretty faint.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:38 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

We should establish a fund to pay Billman to listen to all these videos we post when we are trying to diagnose a sound abnormality. He has listened to hundreds, maybe thousands, of these sounds on S2ks, and he does it every day. I would trust his ear, and a few others here, but not my own.
The following users liked this post:
HarryD (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 03:06 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

If it's not valve adjustment check the bearings for the idler and tensioner pulleys. They can make a knocking sound once they're too far gone.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:06 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Try to locate where the sound is coming from exactly, that should narrow down your issue.
Listening through a piece of pipe or an empty paper towel roll and pointing it at various locations inside the engine bay allows you to easily pinpoint the source of sounds.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:52 AM
Naz

As the user above mentioned the tensioner pulley dies make a noise when it goes, thats also a good plce i didnt think of. If u had the ticking noise before your valve adjustment and did the adjustment, if any , and still same exact ticking its probably not the valves. It could be a spun bearing but maybe you just spun it. Billman is very good with these cars as others have mentioned. I would try no to vtec the car until you figure out. Just my opinion to be in the safe side. Also l isten closely eith ur ear does the knocking seem ti be comming directly from inside the engine. Like the user abovr mentioned if you could pinpoint where the sound is comming from it would help. Inside the motor or around in the engine bay??.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:05 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

A cardboard tube is your friend.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:20 AM

it can be damaged or your try contact a garage.

Quick Reply: S2000 Engine Clicking