S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 front noise drives me crazy

Old 06-04-2019, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 front noise drives me crazy

Hi, i am Victor from Austria in Europe.
I have my S2000 since summer last year and i appreciate it very much. btw, sorry for my bad english.

Before 3 weeks ago, a dealership installed new coilovers, eibach p16, and was making an alignment (uk specs).

Since then, a very strange noise is coming from the front suspensions. From both sides seperatly.

Here i have a video:

The noise does only appear while cornering hard, or while turning with almost full steering angle.
The speed doesnt matter, the noise is also there while driving very slow. With more speed the noise is more frequently.

My first thoughts was the metal sheet behind the brakes is striping, but it isnt. (i dont know the english word)

So i took the car to the dealer again, and he checked if everything was correct installed. He assured me, that he installed everything right with torque specs.
We also checked, if the wheel bearing has any play in it or does make any sounds. But, nothing.
He told me, that the only things that can be broken are the brake disce or the bearing has an failure. (Because they are the only moving parts)

But why that suddenly appear on both sides, after getting a new suspension and alignment?
I am really confused.

Maybe one of you have had this problem or know the solution?

Thank you very much.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:51 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

The sound started after the coilovers were installed? I assume that means no sound before? It kinda sounds like something hitting metal. Did he remove the fender liner? Maybe its flapping around?
Old 06-05-2019, 10:07 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Can you reproduce the sound on a lift? Does the noise change with speed? Lock the wheels over and rotate them by hand, if you're hearing the noise, look for something making contact and try a stethoscope to pin-point the noise if you can't narrow it down. From the sound of it, it sounds like something is being hit by the wheel rotating.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:06 AM

Thank you for reply.

Yes, the sound started after the coilovers were installed. But before, coilovers were also installed, but from a other brand (ta technix) and with much less ride height. So i assume, that the wheels are not hitting the fender linder, because the car was much lower before.

One thing that i have forgot to say, is that the noise will get much louder, if the car is warmed up.

No, unfortunately i can not reproduce the sound on a lift or with a car jack. The reason could be because there is no stress on the front wheel, or maybe because the car is cooled out until the car stands on the jack.
The noise is ticking more frequently, if i drive faster.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:23 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

The noise occurs even at the low speed in the video. It also appears to occur only as wheel rotates. There are no higher speeds in video, but you said noise gets more frequent the faster you go.

It sounds like aloud metallic clicking, like as if the wheel or disk hits something on its way around.

If its not the brake rotor shield which you already checked, another thought is the abs sensor. It may have been removed from its hole during coilover, to avoid stretching the wire (but you don't need to do this, just removing wire clamp is enough, but perhaps mechanic removed sensor anyway). If sensors were put back incorrectly, too deep, they would hit the serrated abs disk that senses rotations. That would make such a noise, and destroy the somewhat expensive sensors at the same time.

You would think though that it would make the noise all the time, not just at full steering lock. But maybe they are just high enough to clear, and somehow full lock or higher speed and load makes things move just enough for the two parts to collide.

Check the abs sensors on front, see if they are installed correctly. Maybe remove one and inspect for damage.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:10 PM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Get a big piece of sidewalk chalk.

Rub the chalk around the inner and outer edge of the tires, onto anything the rotor might contact (like the dust sheild) and around the inner lip and inside edge of the wheels. Then repeat your test and look for any of chalk/crayon that may have transferred to something else. Obviously make sure everything is clean to start. That may help you locate it

If the chalk does not want to stick on some places, you can also use painters tape and look for anywhere the tape has been rubbed
Old 06-05-2019, 02:15 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

ABS lines definetly check. I almost forgot to bolt mine back in on the right side when i installed my coilovers. If not bolted down they swing loose and would hit the wheel on the back side.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:53 AM

Thank you for the very helpful replys.

I will check the ABS lines and the ABS sensor very carefully. It can really be, that the mechanic removed the sensor for the coilover install, and don't put them right together again.

If i dont find anything wrong with it, i will do the trick from @engifineer

Thank you very much, i will check it this weekend. When i get current news, i will write again.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:40 AM

Hey,

the noise is gone.

The solution was, the pre-owner used the wrong lug nuts.
I removed one wheel, and i wondered, why the lug nuts wasn't really tight. They were very easy to open.
So i checked everything on the abs lines and sensor, but couldnt find anything.
I installed the wheel, torqued it down to 110 Nm, and the noise was much better. I couldn't here anything until i provoke it in hard corners.
I was very happy, but I still don't know what was the problem.

So i checked everything again very carefully. I knew, that the original wheels need spherical lug nuts. I tooked a close look, and see what: They are conical.
I went to the Honda Dealer, get new one, installed it with right torque, and now the noise is complety gone.

I don't know why wrong lug nuts can cause such a noise. Maybe because the fitting of the nuts distorted the torque unevenly? I don't know.
(I cleaned the fitting with some abrasive fleece. And i checked the rim very carefully if there is some damage from using the wrong lug nuts, but can't see or feel anything.)

Anyways, thank you very much for spending your time to help me out.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:15 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Thx for posting the solution. This is good info. Good thing to have in the back of mind to check in similar circumstances.

Quick Reply: S2000 front noise drives me crazy