S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

SC fuel line and smelling fuel - past problems

Old 03-26-2002, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC fuel line and smelling fuel - past problems

OK, I did the search but couldn't find the thread. I remember a discussion that started concerning some SC owners getting a fuel smell. Unfortunately, I don't remember all the details of the thread, but I recall some of it had to do with the steel-braided fuel line that goes from the Comptech supplied fuel regulator to the fuel rail. Another thing I remember is that in later versions of the SC kit (eg, my kit), there is a clear plastic tube that goes over the steel-braided fuel line; the earlier kits apparently didn't have this.

I have smelled fuel before, but very infrequently and the smell was never very strong, so I didn't think I had any problems. I have the car in the shop to get various things done (none of which involve the SC) and the mechanic said he smelled gas and noticed that one of the AN fittings on the fuel line didn't "look right". He described it as having more of a gap than the other fittings and his thought is that there is a small leak that is being "wicked" by the stainless steel braid over the fuel line. One thing supporting this hypothesis is that the plastic tubing over this fuel line has whitish colored deposits on the inside of tube. These deposits or whatever are pretty extensive and appear along the whole length of the fuel line.

If anyone that posted to the original thread could point me to that thread, I would appreciate it.
Old 03-26-2002, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you sure the whitish deposits are not caused by friction between the plastic and the braided line?

This may sound left field, but check the fuel line leading to the FMU for a kink.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:25 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

rock the smell thing is definitely a problem. Many people complained about it early on and Comptech addressed the issue somehow. I didn't bother but I do get the smell on occasion. I just need to keep jerrypeterson's chain smoking a$$ away from my car and I'm cool
Maybe a quick call to Shad @ Comptech will be your best bet on a straight answer, otherwise you might get stuck with this kind of BS from the likes of me and jerry for the entire thread

BTW, tell us what he said
Old 03-26-2002, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fuel smell is definitely a problem for me too.
Fuel smell is also caused when vent is set to fresh but no smell when closed for re-circulation.

Keep me updated, I can live with this for now but I would like to tackle this later on.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SMELL Thread

FYI, even the "first" kits have the plastic covering on the braided line.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The smell went away in my car after I straightened a kink in the fuel return line. Because of this, I was also running way rich. Just FYI.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure your bands are on tight. However, the Comptech kit uses high quality Earl's fuel lines from memory. When the lines are installed, fuel seeps between the braid from the ends. It will evaporate with time. There are so many layers of the mesh, that it takes some time to happen. Our NSX supercharger kit does the same thing.

Regards,
-- Chris
Old 03-27-2002, 05:24 AM
RT

huh?
Old 03-27-2002, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still get a fuel smell. I originally had the clear plastic that encased the braided steel but have since been replaced by a black rubber casing. At first it seemed to help but when I walk into my garage there is definitely a hint of fuel. If I put my nose in the engine bay I can smell the fuel coming from the fuel line. Now my black casing is white in some spots so obviously something is causing it to discolor. I have not talked to Shad about it lately but in the past he had indicated it might be additives in the gasoline they might be causing this. He was not really sure. I am hoping to go up there in the next few weeks. Yes we are still waiting for the latest revision of the mounting setup to beta test.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:53 AM
RT

Originally posted by SilverSurfer
Yes we are still waiting for the latest revision of the mounting setup to beta test.
Keith, what latest revision and why? Did your Laguna Seca "thicker and straddling" setup not stand the test of time? .... again .....

Quick Reply: SC fuel line and smelling fuel - past problems