S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Scratched Cluster

Old 09-08-2013, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratched Cluster

My instrument cluster seems to have dust behind it, a lot of small scratches, and one fairly deep scratch. I Think I will try and use some sort of plastic filler and maybe try to use a headlight restoration type products on it. Before I go threw with this though I was wandering if anybody knew if I could just replace the plastic piece that is on the cluster? Or if anyone else has run into this problem and been able to fix it.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The headlight cleaner may be to course for the instrument plastic... I would consider a product for cockpits or plastic windows.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I was already contemplating getting one of those screen protectors (like for smartphone screens or tablets) and putting it over cluster.... as mine is still fairly good shape but does scratch easily while cleaned.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 PM

Received 3,371 Likes on 2,450 Posts

I had a deep scratch on mine, previous owner must have wore rings on their fingers. My friend polished mine down when he was doing an LED conversion for me, the scratch is much less noticeable and is almost gone. In original form you could easily catch a finger nail in the scratch, it is really hard to get rid of scratches like that totally gone but mine is much less noticeable.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently I saw dust building up behind mine and I don't like it. But im not gonna take the whole cluster out and apart to clean it. I plan on upgrading to a QUBE cluster soon anways..but still I know what your saying as I hate scratches or dust on or behind the cluster..
Old 10-17-2016, 05:48 AM

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd resurrect this one...

The previous owner of my car has severely scratched up the cluster. Maybe they used to put their keys up there? It looks very bad in direct sunlight and at night when the the cluster is illuminated as light comes through nearly all of the scratches.

I've slowly been refreshing the interior bits of the car as they were in rough shape, and now I'm at the cluster... Is there any hope in repairing these scratches or should I just look for a similar mileage unit and swap it out?

Name:  WP_20150603_17_54_14_Pro%20-%20Copy.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  113.4 KB
Old 10-17-2016, 07:01 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

I've had very good success restoring plastic gauges. Not on the S, but techniques should still work.

In my case, it was a classic motorcycle gauge. Someone tried to clean it with like acetone or something. It totally melted the plastic. It was beyond awful. It wasn't even flat anymore. No one would lool at and think it could be fixed. I was going to just replace the clear plastic. But trying to pry off the old, the black surrounding plastic was brittle and I feared it would crack. So I was faced with having to buy all new pods, so I thought why not try to save the clear?

I had to start with 80 grit sandpaper. Then 120, was able to switch to wet. 320, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000. Then I used turtlewax car polish. finally plastic polish. End result was amazing.

You want to follow the steps above, but only start with whatever grit is needed to get the scratches out. My guess is you could start with 320.

Yoy want to use fresh paper, and do breaking back thing first to loosen it up. Make sure you fully get the scratches out before going to the next finer paper. That goes for each step, but especially the forst one. Get the damage scratches out on step one. Then as you go each next step, male sure previous steps sandpaper made scratches are all out before next step up.

Use lots of water. A spray bottle works well. Obviously you need to do this with bezel removed from car.

In the end you should be able to get it as perfect as new, with patience.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I've had very good success restoring plastic gauges. Not on the S, but techniques should still work.

In my case, it was a classic motorcycle gauge. Someone tried to clean it with like acetone or something. It totally melted the plastic. It was beyond awful. It wasn't even flat anymore. No one would lool at and think it could be fixed. I was going to just replace the clear plastic. But trying to pry off the old, the black surrounding plastic was brittle and I feared it would crack. So I was faced with having to buy all new pods, so I thought why not try to save the clear?

I had to start with 80 grit sandpaper. Then 120, was able to switch to wet. 320, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000. Then I used turtlewax car polish. finally plastic polish. End result was amazing.

You want to follow the steps above, but only start with whatever grit is needed to get the scratches out. My guess is you could start with 320.

Yoy want to use fresh paper, and do breaking back thing first to loosen it up. Make sure you fully get the scratches out before going to the next finer paper. That goes for each step, but especially the forst one. Get the damage scratches out on step one. Then as you go each next step, male sure previous steps sandpaper made scratches are all out before next step up.

Use lots of water. A spray bottle works well. Obviously you need to do this with bezel removed from car.

In the end you should be able to get it as perfect as new, with patience.
Thank you for the tips. I'm worried that since the light from the bulbs (when the lights are turned on) is coming through the scratches, that sanding everything down will further allow the light to come through. I will take a picture in the dark to better show what I'm describing.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

that glass is a replaceable part that you can get at the dealership. I bought a new one because when i bought my S2000 there was a long crack in the glass. I think i paid like $30 shipped for it. and looks (is) brand new.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/839...cluster-peice/

part number is listed in thread

Quick Reply: Scratched Cluster