S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Seafoam treatment, UPDATE: Cyl #4 misfire

Old 08-22-2011, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam treatment, UPDATE: Cyl #4 misfire

Latest update

UPDATE:

P0304 cyl #4 misfire, rough idle, smells like gas, and the engine feels like it's running "unbalanced"

Spark plug or more than that? What do u guys think?

Back story

Here goes...

120k AP1

I seafoamed my car (properly),
Put in my old spark plugs..
1/3 gas
1/3 oil
1/3 vaccum
5 min soak... then started the car up but there was not a lot of smoke at all.

Drove <3mi.

Changed oil(made sure to tilt car to get ALL seafoam treated oil out), filter, put my newer spark plugs back in... Drove over weekend, drove to work.... ~150mi
EDIT------------------

So the oil was OK, but the oil was VERY VERY dark... what could it have been, residual seafoam???
Old 08-22-2011, 06:48 PM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

What symptom was present to warrant seafoam? That is probably the root of your problem. Even after replacing oil I'm sure there would still be traces of solvent in the engine which could possibly dilute/foam
Old 08-22-2011, 06:58 PM

120k mi, low idle, VERY dirty manifold, wanted better cleaner mpg.

Could the seafoam have somehow solidified and started to work over time rather than suddenly?
Old 08-23-2011, 06:20 AM

maybe you should have drove more than <3 miles so it could have burned all the stuff out.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well one issue that people leave the engine running while they pull seafoam into the intake manifold.. The way your post is written it sounds like you just poured it into the vacumn line with the engine off.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by spets
Well one issue that people leave the engine running while they pull seafoam into the intake manifold.. The way your post is written it sounds like you just poured it into the vacumn line with the engine off.
I agree. Need to run it while the car is running. Did you put it in the crankcase too?
Old 08-23-2011, 01:22 PM

IF you dumped seafoam in while the car was off... you probably f@#ked something up.

You need the car running, and possibly even someone giving it a little bit of throttle to keep it running.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:58 PM

I assumed it was obvious the car was on... i poured it in while someone was giving it throttle.... however..

turns out it didnt burn oil the oil was VERY VERY VERY dark after <150mi.... idk what this could be.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok what you do is 1/3 in brake booster line. 1/3 in oil and 1/3 in gas tank. When you suck up the seafoam in the brake booster make sure you let is go in VERY VERY SLOW it should take 6-7 min to suck into the line. If you put it in the oil you want to put a cheap oil filter during the process cause it will get REALLY dirty from the the crud the seafoam cleans out, then change oil, add new filter. Adding seafoam to vacuum lines mean you need to have the engine really really hot first, so drive it for a while hard. then add the seafoam and take a hard drive after, like hit vtec a about 10 times make sure its boiling hot afterwards that will allow the seafoam to burn up.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by woodburn
Ok what you do is 1/3 in brake booster line. 1/3 in oil and 1/3 in gas tank. When you suck up the seafoam in the brake booster make sure you let is go in VERY VERY SLOW it should take 6-7 min to suck into the line. If you put it in the oil you want to put a cheap oil filter during the process cause it will get REALLY dirty from the the crud the seafoam cleans out, then change oil, add new filter. Adding seafoam to vacuum lines mean you need to have the engine really really hot first, so drive it for a while hard. then add the seafoam and take a hard drive after, like hit vtec a about 10 times make sure its boiling hot afterwards that will allow the seafoam to burn up.

I did just that, drove home spirited drive w/ 5k on oil and filter, added seafoam (although not that slow, maybe 3 min to get it in) added seafoam, took it for a medium drive (because of the thining properties i did not thrash it) came home changed oil and filter (oil was NOT thick at all and very black).

Now after <150 mi the oil is black as after 5k, i changed the oil to drive home from my buddies house <3mi away, and the burning oil smell is still there.

Lets assume i did pour it in too fast... would this cause these problems???

Quick Reply: Seafoam treatment, UPDATE: Cyl #4 misfire