S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Snapped right rear half-shaft/axle

Old 12-21-2007, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snapped right rear half-shaft/axle

Last night i was driving and started hearing a really loud annoying metalic grinding sound coming from the right rear. I pulled into a Blockbuster and pulled off the right rear tire and the big nut that holds the wheel hub to the axle snapped right off. is this common the car did start to vibrate slightly when i accelerated for at least a good 8,000 miles and I never really looked into the problem. thanks.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:03 AM

would i need to replace the whole shaft or does it split up into two pieces at the wheel hub.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:22 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like something that happened to me once (while somebody was working on the car though, not driving at the time.)

You need an outboard CV joint. The axel is most likely perfectly fine - it goes into the CV joint, which in turn goes into the wheel hub, and it's the CV joint that the hub nut goes on to.

Talk to hardtopguy - he's the one I got my CV joint from.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:48 AM

thank you, that is the part that broke on me.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:27 AM

as i understand this is a problem that is a result of bad hubs. theres some stuff in the race forum about it that i just read
Old 12-21-2007, 10:27 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

race forum bad hub discussion is due to tracking on r-comp/slick tires...

to the OP, do you track heavily and run r-comp/slicks?
Old 12-22-2007, 06:38 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The wheel bearing may need to be replaced too...if you've been having so much vibration that the hub nut snapped then I would wonder the condition of the bearing race. Unfortunately, for that, you would have to remove the hub and have the new bearing pressed in. Of course you may want to get a new hub anyway.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:42 AM

well i was able to change out the new half shaft in a blockbuster parking lot in 1 1/2 hours. i left the car on the jack stands and started it up, she ran fine so i put it in gear and let the tires just spin freely. everything went fine untill i started looking at the new shaft closer. the new shaft was slightly wobbling. it was enough that my rotor was just grasing the brake pad everytime the tire spun around. does this mean my diff is bent because it's a brand new shaft made from DSS. why would the new half-shaft apper to be bent? I drove the car home and couldn't feel the wobble or vibrations. should i be concerned?
Old 12-23-2007, 06:54 AM

Jack up the right rear. Grab the tire front and rear and try to change the toe angle (push in on front, pull out on rear and visa-versa). If it rattles around (I'm guessing it will) you've got a bad rear wheel bearing. It would be consistent with the screeching sound you heard (which is generally the inner race of the bearing slipping on the outside diameter of the hub). Chances are the hub is trashed too (mine was). For some reason right-rear wheel bearings seem to be a consumable on these cars. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:36 AM

would that still cause the shaft to wobble?

Quick Reply: Snapped right rear half-shaft/axle