S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spoon X brace observation and a question

Old 02-28-2001, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off living here in the NE we have our fair share of bumps, pot holes and uneven pavement.

The X brace without a doubt smooths out these rough roads and makes the car feel much more stable than before, even though it was very stable prior.

If you are considering getting one you will not be disappointed although it carries IMO a inflated price tag.

I have also noticed that the car responds better when entering and exiting corners this is where my question comes in.......... Because the steering response feels much crisper and the car turns in better will that only make the rear end more loose?

Also now that I have the feeling of the front being on rails what is available for the rear of the car that would have the same effect as the X brace when driving over rougher pavement?
Old 02-28-2001, 09:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good observations Charlie. I agree that the steering response is much more immediate so it feels easier to affect rear traction. I have found that adding a little negative camber to the rear makes it feel more planted, but the larger front sway bar goes the farthest in keeping the rear in line.
Old 03-01-2001, 05:43 AM

I just installed my x-brace last night and I agree with Charlie, the car is more stable and smooth over uneven roads. I couldn't believe it, I remember the chassis doing a quick shake when rolling over uneven bumps, but now, it feesl like the whole car is more solid and stiff. (Not that it was a loose noodle before or anything) But it is definitely noticeable. I have an autox this weekend, I'll post some more thoughts on how it affects the overall handling.
Old 03-01-2001, 06:39 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by autoxEX
[B]I just installed my x-brace last night and I agree with Charlie, the car is more stable and smooth over uneven roads.
Old 03-01-2001, 07:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reports about the X-brace have been very positive. However, doesn't adding the brace move you out of A-Stock into a modified category for autocrossing?
Old 03-01-2001, 07:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by CoralDoc
The reports about the X-brace have been very positive. However, doesn't adding the brace move you out of A-Stock into a modified category for autocrossing?
Yes, I believe it moves you to A Stock Prepared...

I just put my xbrace on last night and it seems to make a difference. I will get out hopefully this weekend for more cavorting with Scarlet...more to follow.

And thanks Jason, Juliann, Brad and Brad for the help. But the drinks at Hala Kahini are taking their toll on me. You know the kind, they come in fishbowls with 3 feet long straws...oh man.

Old 03-01-2001, 07:23 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gregstevens

Yes, I believe it moves you to A Stock Prepared...

I just put my xbrace on last night and it seems to make a difference.
Old 03-01-2001, 08:05 AM
Banned

No X-Brace for me. I will be adding the larger Mugen sway bar soon, however.

I should look for all the mods I can since I can't race A-Stock anymore with my SS brake lines (they make such a huge difference ).
Old 03-01-2001, 08:30 AM

You guys are just mod-crazy... By the way, it's A-Street-Prepared, or ASP. There are 4 categories for cars, each having a different level of modification: Stock, Street-Prepared, Prepared and Modified - from least to most modifications. Within each of those 4 categories, there are classes for different types of cars. Hence, A-Stock, B-Stock, etc. Then, once you jump to Street-Prepared it's ASP, BSP, CSP etc... Then AP, BP, CP.... Then AM, BM, CM.

The Stook goes from AS, to ASP, to AP to DM. The DM is because mod-classes go by weight and displacement. DM is under 2000cc, and over 1400lb. Basically anything goes - so if someone wants to run an 11k rpm, 300hp S2k that's lighened to 1400lb and runs on racing slicks - go for it!

For now, we're sticking to A-Stock - you still get to tinker, you just have to select what to tinker with. In some ways I miss not being able to do x-braces, SS lines, headers, etc... but our goals are to be competitive and stick to the rules. Plus, our Double-Adjustable Penskes should keep me busy with the tinkering.

Good observations Charlie, and it sure seems that those observations are echoed by most people who have added the brace.
Old 03-01-2001, 08:30 AM

charlie,

Yes, this weekend and next weekend is in Camden, NY right by the waterfront. I've been racing there for the past 1.5 years now in the Philly region. I hope you can make it, it'll be nice to meet another s2k owner!

Quick Reply: Spoon X brace observation and a question