S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spring Rates

Old 02-19-2005, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vstryker
^^ i agree with RT
I'm sorry

i found this out when i jacked up my rear end and was loading the driver rear tire with another jack to torque down suspension bolts.... and wut do u know.... the passenger rear tire also moved up as i jacked up the driver rear tire
Yes, both ends move in unison with one another, "in the same direction". That doesn't mean it is "loaded". The bar moves freely where it is anchored to the chassis, therefore, if both ends move in the same direction simultaneously, it is not loaded.

so yes' date=' they are both connected and works when ANY ONE TIME one tire moves up/down
There very well may a small load to some degree, but not nearly as much load as it is under when opposite ends are forced to twist in opposite directions hence "coming into affect"

Originally Posted by RT
The "wheel on the curb" loads the bar more than you're likely to load it by driving and turning at any speed.
Hi RT I'm glad you responded in a more civil approach Anyhoo, this statement is way off course. How much do you think a wheel will raise if you roll it onto a curb and park? Not very much. There is no way a single wheel that is raised 1 inch, while the opposite wheel remains stationary, is going to load an anti-roll bar more so than if opposite ends of the bar move in opposite directions lets say, four inches, as in going around a sharp corner at 40 mph.

RT
Old 02-19-2005, 06:44 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

A sway bar will influence the spring rate if one corner is compressed and the other is not. So, in this example the weight would need to be applied to the exact center of the car. You'd probably dent something trying to determine the spring rate that way...not a good idea.

OEM:
00-01 Fr: 218(3.9) - Rr: 291(5.2)
02-03 Fr: 240(4.3) - Rr: 230(4.1)*
04-05 Fr: 256(4.57) - Rr: 207(3.7)*

*Estimates based on published % changes from Honda.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:53 PM

I agree with your statement. What I am saying is that the anti-roll bar will have more of an affect when opposite ends are forced to move in opposite directions.

This is why the anti-sway bar gives an affect of stiffer springs and heavier dampining WITHOUT sacrificing ride comfort.

I am by no means saying that movement of one corner and not the other does not influance spring rate as one end link of the anti-roll bar bar is forced to twist. I was mearly stating that the anti-roll bar has a greater affect on spring rate when opposite corners are forced into moving in opposite directions.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:57 PM

To say an anti-roll bar has more of an affect when going over a bump in a straight line than it does while going around a sharp corner at 40 mph is not a true statement.

That is not the purpose of an anti-roll bar.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:20 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

[quote name='RACER' date='Feb 19 2005, 06:12 PM'] There is no way a single wheel that is raised 1 inch, while the opposite wheel remains stationary, is going to load an anti-roll bar more so than if opposite ends of the bar move in opposite directions lets say, four inches, as in going around a sharp corner at 40 mph.

Old 02-19-2005, 09:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You should duck out of this thread Racer, RT's first post was pretty much right on the money.

As for the name calling, ugh.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by s2ka' date='Feb 19 2005, 10:38 PM
You should duck out of this thread Racer, RT's first post was pretty much right on the money.

As for the name calling, ugh.
You actually believe that driving up onto a curb is going to twist the sway bar more so than if you drove around a sharp corner at 40 mph causing opposite ends of the bar to move in opposite directions?

I don't disagree that the sway bar should be disconnected when performing ride height adjustments or corner balancing. RT's fist post is irrelevant to the disagreement.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by RT' date='Feb 19 2005, 10:20 PM
1 inch curbs

"What are those curbs for? ants?"
1 inch as in the amount of suspension travel when driven up onto a curb.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:50 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

dig'n dig'n dig'n we are just a dig'n ......
Old 02-19-2005, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by RT
well 20 years ago someone compressing one corner of a car was still "body roll"
Originally Posted by RT
park your car with one front wheel up on the curb (note: car is not rolling) ........ you think the swaybar is loaded?
if you think yes, then it's "in effect" and the car ain't rolling
You first state that compressing one corner of the car is body roll, then you stated that it isn't.

Quick Reply: Spring Rates