S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spun a rod bearing, need some insight please.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spun a rod bearing, need some insight please.

Good morning, havent posted in a while.
MY00 S2000 with 83,000 miles
Yesterday of all days, I fear that ive spun a rod bearing. I havent gotten to tear into the car quite yet but im trying to do some kind of estimation while I wait ( till next weekend). The oil level was fine before I set out on my drive and ive never ran it low. I think the previous owner did some damage to the engine as he had done damage elsewhere on the car.....(dents)

Started as a low hum/knock so I pushed in the clutch right away and pulled over, the oil light was flickering so I killed it. loaded it up on a flat bed and when I fired it to diagnose a little more the oil light was off and the knock wasnt present at idle and only started knocking lightly as i revved it (3,000 starting point).

Im hoping I didnt cause to much damage and caught it early.

Could someone provide some insight to my possible damages?
possibilities of the Rod/crank being junk, price of either
price of bearings
potential of cylinder wall damage

thank you for your time,
Andrew
Old 04-21-2014, 07:20 AM

Received 419 Likes on 349 Posts

If you caught it early enough you can probably get away with new rod bearings and a polishing of the crank. You can do this by just removing the oil pan. Post a video so we know what it sounds like. New rod bearings aren't too expensive.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
If you caught it early enough you can probably get away with new rod bearings and a polishing of the crank. You can do this by just removing the oil pan. Post a video so we know what it sounds like. New rod bearings aren't too expensive.

Im hoping it goes this way, I cant get to the car until next weekend unfortunately but I will try and get a video up if I can.

Are the rods pretty robust? in terms of warping.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:53 AM

You're looking at 16-1800 to repair, or 3000 for a new block. My friend just recently spun a rod bearing in her car at the track too. Best of luck getting it running again!

I personally would get a new block and go AP2 - rebuilds on these motors are never as stout as OEM. (Could be builders, etc - just speaking from experience)
Old 04-21-2014, 08:11 AM

Received 419 Likes on 349 Posts

If your main bearing spun your motor is a wrap, rod bearings can be fixed if you caught it early enough. If it is rod bearings it's about $500 to fix, substantially less if you diy.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1
You're looking at 16-1800 to repair, or 3000 for a new block. My friend just recently spun a rod bearing in her car at the track too. Best of luck getting it running again!

I personally would get a new block and go AP2 - rebuilds on these motors are never as stout as OEM. (Could be builders, etc - just speaking from experience)
I have no issues doing the repair myself (built a good handful of race engines mainly V8s) no experience with inline 4s though. Thanks for the advice. And I should have a picture or two later tonight of the oil and possibly the crank, my pops and little brother are nice enough to get started while im away.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:37 AM

Forgot to add, Can the main bearings be accessed with the motor still in the car as well?
I figured I might as well change those while im in there.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
No way you are doing mains in the car. Rods yes.
Thanks, oh and Billman, I talked with you a while ago I think last year and you had said you stopped making your TCTs. Have you gone back into production by chance?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i spun a rod bearing last June and found it best to buy a new block. If any damage is done to the cylinder walls, they're thin as it is, good luck finding a good shop who will want to machine them. the rods are junk if any damage is done. Cranks usually okay to fix if its lightly scored.
I don't use my car for performance in any way, but I wouldn't want to throw money down into it to have the engine be weaker than it was before.
I got a f20 with 75k on it for $3300 with a 6 month warranty.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 412xxx
i spun a rod bearing last June and found it best to buy a new block. If any damage is done to the cylinder walls, they're thin as it is, good luck finding a good shop who will want to machine them. the rods are junk if any damage is done. Cranks usually okay to fix if its lightly scored.
I don't use my car for performance in any way, but I wouldn't want to throw money down into it to have the engine be weaker than it was before.
I got a f20 with 75k on it for $3300 with a 6 month warranty.
Wish I could do that haha, unfortunately I just bought a new racebike so this whole ordeal couldnt have come at a worse time.

Quick Reply: Spun a rod bearing, need some insight please.