S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Stalling when stopped / sputtering under 3k RPM

Old 04-28-2011, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling when stopped / sputtering under 3k RPM

Been going on for a while now, getting pretty annoying! So here are the symptoms. Start the car, it idles fine. Pull away and the car bogs/shudders until it hits 2.5-3k rpms, then all of a sudden it takes off - almost feels like a valve opens and it starts behaving like it should. Never any problems at all above 3k. Drive ~50ft and push in clutch and coast, rpm's drop to 1k and hold. 3mph, 1mph, still ok. As soon as I come to a complete stop, rpm's drop to 0 and car dies. Every once in a while it will try to catch it, and maybe holds at 500rpm for a few seconds, but then dies. If I come to a stop light I have to rest my foot on the gas just a little to keep it from stalling. If I turn on the AC, I really have to give it some gas to prevent stalling, motor shakes, idles terrible. After it stalls and I restart it, the idle is fine until I drive off again. If I'm in 2nd, at 10mph and floor it, there is a good 3 second delay as the rpms slowly rise until it hits 3k and then boom, I'm off! Had a CEL pop up a while back for the throttle position sensor which I've replaced once already....Does this sound like a TPS issue?

Just cleaned the IAC tonight. MAP is zip tied. Also I had a good size crack in the main intake tube which was replaced with a PRM yesterday(great sound btw!!)

Anybody experience a similar problem or have some thoughts as to the cause?

Thanks guys! Appreciate all the help
Old 04-28-2011, 10:57 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

hmmm sounds like heat soak.....
Old 04-29-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
hmmm sounds like heat soak.....
Feels similar, but happens right away even if the car has not been driven for a few days. Actually feels a lot like a slipping clutch, except I have a fairly new clutch and its only in the low rpm's.

I should add the car is an '03 with 130k miles. The stalling and bogging also did not start at the same time - stalling started first, so they may or may not be related.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:40 PM

similar thing happens to me except no stall, it just drops low... not enough to annoy me yet lol
Old 04-29-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had something similar but not as bad. Valve adjustment fixed it right up, had two exhaust valves bottomed out.

When was your last adjustment? Does your gas mileage suck, I went from 23 mpg to 29 mpg after.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:21 AM

check your coilpacks?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:50 AM

I have the same problem with the rpms. Mine wont completely stall though. My car has been throwing random misfire codes and i have check the coils and spark plugs before but doesnt seem to be the problem. I was down to thinking it is either the MAP sensor or TPS. Havent bought a new throttle body yet though to test it out bc im not sure if it is that. My dash lights also seem to dim and brighten alot as well. Not sure if its related though. It drives me crazy though. I have to barely throttle it to 3k rpm or im backfiring a shit ton. Almost sounds like a Subaru taking off. If you find a solution let me know and ill do the same. O and i forgot to add that it stopped for a couple of months but has started back up within the last 2 weeks. Before i just unplugged the tps and MAP and the next day it was suddenly better not 100% though but alot better. Seems that may have just been a temporary fix if that was what stopped it at all. But its back to its old ways and even worse now.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:36 PM

hmm I'm having this issue too
Old 05-08-2011, 04:45 PM

me too. hasnt died yet, but it idles under 500.

when it comes back up to 1000, it stays, but soon as i come to astop, it drops.

i havnt done a tune up in a while so ill throw some plugs in tuesday and see if that will help. (01, stock motor)
Old 06-21-2011, 12:47 PM

Replaced the TPS and also threw in a new set of plugs and not a bit of difference. Next step maybe MAP (doubtful) or valve adjustment. Kinda stumped so far. Any help would be much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Stalling when stopped / sputtering under 3k RPM