S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Starter Replacement (WITH PICS)

Old 01-11-2018, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread, and very helpful. I just replaced the starter on my wife's AP1 - '02, after 285,000 miles of faithful service. I could not have done this without the extremely helpful photos and instruction here. One deviation: I had to remove the alternator completely to get to the upper bolt and the electrical connections on the starter. And a swivel socket or universal is a necessity. Great suggestion to tape the bolt to the socket to guide it back in. I think the most difficult part was backing out the old starter and getting the new one in.

i ordered a Denso remanufactured starter on Amazon - working great so far!

Big THANK YOU to everyone who contributed to this diy!
Old 03-12-2018, 06:40 PM

Hi,

I am new to this forum and found this thread very helpful in removing my old starter from my 2001 S2000. Unfortunately, I was not able to reinstall my new starter from below the vehicle. I could not figure out how to get the starter around the various hoses.

I mentally prepared myself to remove the intake manifold thinking that was the only way to get the new starter installed. After removing the tensioner pulley mounting bracket from below the intake manifold, two pieces and 6 bolts, I realized I had a clear view of the starter motor location from the front of the engine impaired only by two fuel lines. Note, I had already remove the alternator per the service manual's recommendation. I removed the two fuel lines being careful to follow the service manual procedure for removing the high pressure line. With the fuel lines removed, it was relatively easy to reinstall the new starter from above. I also had a clear view of the knock sensor making it easy to avoid any damage. The long extension and universal joint worked well for the upper and lower starter bolts as well as power connection to the solenoid.

The service manual specifies that the washers should be replaced any time the high pressure fuel line is loosened. I was able to purchase these from a local Honda dealer for about $11.00. A 22 mm crowfoot socket is needed to re-torque the high pressure fuel line. I made my best estimate using an open end wrench and inspected the connection carefully for any leaks.

Thanks for an excellent posting!

George
Old 07-16-2018, 08:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for the DIY! Swapped a new starter in over the weekend, i must say that removing the alternator was a big help, and a swivel-socket is a MUST for the top starter bolt. Cheers
Old 07-16-2018, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting DIY with pics! Love having pics when doing a DIY, makes it so much easier to understand.

My starter's been making sound during startup, probably will have to get in it in the near future.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:21 AM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gvasick
Hi,

I am new to this forum and found this thread very helpful in removing my old starter from my 2001 S2000. Unfortunately, I was not able to reinstall my new starter from below the vehicle. I could not figure out how to get the starter around the various hoses.

I mentally prepared myself to remove the intake manifold thinking that was the only way to get the new starter installed. After removing the tensioner pulley mounting bracket from below the intake manifold, two pieces and 6 bolts, I realized I had a clear view of the starter motor location from the front of the engine impaired only by two fuel lines. Note, I had already remove the alternator per the service manual's recommendation. I removed the two fuel lines being careful to follow the service manual procedure for removing the high pressure line. With the fuel lines removed, it was relatively easy to reinstall the new starter from above. I also had a clear view of the knock sensor making it easy to avoid any damage. The long extension and universal joint worked well for the upper and lower starter bolts as well as power connection to the solenoid.

The service manual specifies that the washers should be replaced any time the high pressure fuel line is loosened. I was able to purchase these from a local Honda dealer for about $11.00. A 22 mm crowfoot socket is needed to re-torque the high pressure fuel line. I made my best estimate using an open end wrench and inspected the connection carefully for any leaks.

Thanks for an excellent posting!

George
This, removing the alternator and tensioner make the starter top bolt and breaking the knock sensor a non-issue. You don’t even need a swivel. This is extremely helpful during a clutch job.
The following users liked this post:
john wilkinson (10-09-2018)
Old 03-30-2019, 01:45 PM

Thanks to the OP for the write up with photos.

- using a swivel socket made it easier
- removing the alternator made it easy to locate and loosen/tighten starter bolts
- i was able to get the top bolt back in by going underneath the car (jackstands ofcourse)and using my left hand to find the hole/threads and then tightening it up from above.

-previous owner used a napa starter and when i removed it the housing was also damaged.

Where To Buy

I was able to locate a denso 280-0316 starter using this site. It was around $150 after taxes and the 35 core.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:20 PM

perfect timing since I may need to replace my starter. I got stranded today after getting gas. Filled up and drove next door to shop. Got back to the car and it wouldn't start. I was near PepBoys so I had them test the battery and even jump start it but no dice. All it would do is "One Click" when hitting the start button.

Double check everything...wires, ground, fuse, clutch by-pass (i have it done and made sure the clip didn't pop out), everything seem to be in order.

I had them push the car while I pop the clutch and it got the car started. Drove home and now its in the garage.

Just want to confirm that its the starter before I order this from amazon. Its a re-manufacture denso

https://www.amazon.com/Denso-280-0316-Remanufactured-Starter/dp/B000EQB2YS/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=honda+s2000+starter&qid=1554860513&s=gateway&sr=8-2 https://www.amazon.com/Denso-280-0316-Remanufactured-Starter/dp/B000EQB2YS/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=honda+s2000+starter&qid=1554860513&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Can someone tell me if "One Click" mean its the starter? Anything else I need to replace? Thanks.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up, thank you for takin the time share.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silvermonster
perfect timing since I may need to replace my starter. I got stranded today after getting gas. Filled up and drove next door to shop. Got back to the car and it wouldn't start. I was near PepBoys so I had them test the battery and even jump start it but no dice. All it would do is "One Click" when hitting the start button.

Double check everything...wires, ground, fuse, clutch by-pass (i have it done and made sure the clip didn't pop out), everything seem to be in order.

I had them push the car while I pop the clutch and it got the car started. Drove home and now its in the garage.

Just want to confirm that its the starter before I order this from amazon. Its a re-manufacture denso

https://www.amazon.com/Denso-280-031...gateway&sr=8-2

Can someone tell me if "One Click" mean its the starter? Anything else I need to replace? Thanks.
That's the starter I ordered. Worked great for 4 months before all of a sudden car wouldn't start. Turned out to be just one of the wires had come loose (my fault). Otherwise, it starts the car up great.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by HappyHokie18
That's the starter I ordered. Worked great for 4 months before all of a sudden car wouldn't start. Turned ouwhicht to be just one of the wires had come loose (my fault). Otherwise, it starts the car up great.
which wire? I ordered it on Tuesday night and it came in the next morning. Crazy fast!! I'll be working on it this weekend.

Quick Reply: Starter Replacement (WITH PICS)