S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Steaming Radiator AP1

Old 01-25-2018, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steaming Radiator AP1

Hello all,
This is my official first on here, but I always come here to look for answers before I post. I have searched and I cannot seem to find someone with the same problem. I have an 02 with 130k that I have owned for over a year and a half with basically no issues until now. I was driving to the store when I noticed white steam coming from the hood and it smelt like coolant. Before I started checking anything I went into the store I did my shopping for around 20 minutes to let everything cool down a bit. I came back and noticed coolant in the overflow was empty and about 2 1/2 water bottles full of coolant was gone. I then topped off the radiator and half way of the overflow and then started it to let it idle with the radiator cap off to get any bubbles out until the thermostat opened, then I put the radiator cap back on. My brother poured water around the radiator because when he was filling it he missed a little. We assumed the steam was from the water so I then drove it home (which was about 10 minutes). The temp never went past 3 bars, I also checked the oil and it seemed good. When I got it back home we popped the hood and we noticed it was steaming from the lower part of the radiator still. Could it be a leak from the lower radiator? I couldn't see any leaks from any hoses but I could be wrong. I want to start small and not just throw parts at it. I'm also hoping my head gasket is fine, but I don't really know for certain.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:26 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Glad your temp gauge did not go over 3 bars. Do not drive it, for risk of overheating.

Use a flashlight and look for leaks around your radiator, hoses, etc. At this point, you should probably also see drips on the ground.

Check your coolant level in the radiator itself, not the expansion tank by opening the radiator cap when the engine is cold -- you should see coolant level up to the neck of the radiator.

Report back. Photos are helpful
Old 01-25-2018, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by HarryD
Glad your temp gauge did not go over 3 bars. Do not drive it, for risk of overheating.

Use a flashlight and look for leaks around your radiator, hoses, etc. At this point, you should probably also see drips on the ground.

Check your coolant level in the radiator itself, not the expansion tank by opening the radiator cap when the engine is cold -- you should see coolant level up to the neck of the radiator.

Report back. Photos are helpful
Alright, thanks. I think I’m going to do a full bleed tomorrow to try and get all the air out, then fully top it off and see if it still leaks.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:08 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You should do a pressure test, a lot of times the plastic on the radiators develop hairline cracks that will leak so i would look for that as well!
Old 01-26-2018, 05:22 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

^this first thing you should do is pressure test the cooling system, it should hold 16 psi, if it doesn't you have a leak. Pressure test will also force any coolant out of the leak making it safe and easy to see where it's leaking. I'm willing to guess it's the radiator itself or the cap. Based on your symptoms if the system holds pressure then you know it's the cap.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:23 AM

Whelp, I found the culprit after going and renting a pressure tester. I got it up to maybe 8psi before it started gushing out behind the intake manifold. I shined a light in there and could see coolant spilling out but couldn’t pinpoint exactly where, it’s just to crammed. How many coolant hoses are behind the intake manifold? It’s gonna be tough to get in there by my self. I’ll try and post pics.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:56 AM

Under the IM is the lower rad hose, and I believe there is a coolant line for the IAC, and under the throttle body over the alternator, behind the IM ie the firewall is the heater coolant circuit.

By chance do you have an aftermarket intake?
Old 01-28-2018, 07:30 AM

Yeah it seems like one right next to the firewall, can you see most of the lines from underneath the car? I haven’t had time to jack it up yet. Also, I’m guessing I’ll have to take out the IM to get to those hoses. Yes, I have a K&N intake, but stock IM.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:59 AM

All the coolant lines are under the hood, none of them can be reached from underneath except the lower rad hose and only at the rad. For the record you don't have to remove the IM to remove any hose, it just makes it much much easier to do so. But removing the IM is itself a pain in the butt, I think removing the alternator and belt tensioner will give you all the room you need to see what needs replacing.

You mentioned a k&n exhaust look for any hose that doesn't look OEM, I bet that's probably the culprit. It's usually the hose over the alternator.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:53 AM

Alright, thanks. Yeah, I really don’t want to remove the IM but if it can’t get to it or find it by just removing the alternator and belt I’ll just have to remove it. My buddy sent me a coolant diagram that will come in handy. k&n exhaust? Did you mean intake? Only thing done to the engine is that intake.

Quick Reply: Steaming Radiator AP1