S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Stock Air Box a Restriction ?

Old 04-10-2018, 05:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by jyeung528
how to get the prototype snorkel?
Would be fairly simple with a 3D printer.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:23 AM

Received 364 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Modded snorkle

Project:
Reduce the amount of inlet angles with the snorkel
Lessen the restricted area where it narrows.
Keep the snorkel benefits = Bernoulli ram air effect velocity theory.
Help the built up pressure velocity on closed TB =better manifold stability with TB open/close & help clean induction charge

Last edited by noodels; 06-10-2018 at 05:50 AM. Reason: .
Old 06-02-2018, 09:04 AM

Received 3,391 Likes on 2,462 Posts

I had the J's racing snorkel for the oem hood fitment (no modifcations or trimming needed). I always felt it was a bit constrained where it squished down to clear the oem hood and front crossmember, though they did widen it nicely to account for the narrowing of thickness, but my findings were that the improvement in intake air temperature far outweighed any narrowing concerns or air flow restriction. The car just ran so much better with a proper cold air source from outside the engine bay or car for that matter, and still no water infiltration worries with it (unlike an AEM style cold air ). Stock air box and stock filter work great, you just need a good safe reliable source of cooler air, which the snorkels achieve nicely for the most part.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Dont under estimate the stock intake, or the exhaust

Just had a guy here with invidia exhaust, and the resonator was hacked out and a cherry bomb welded in.

The car had been to me many times. I always told the guy, you know your VTEC just doesnt hit like the other cars. We did VA, air filter. It got better, but it just wasnt there like I know it to be.

so while replacing the driveshaft, we put in a stock pipe. The VTEC now hits like it should. Before you could barely feel the transition. Now it is night and day as it wails through the k&n intake. I estimate there was over a 15 HP loss with the exhaust that was on the car.

These factory parts are highly tuned to what was at one time the NA HP per liter record holder. It is near impossible to make any signifigant improvements to them, unless you pay up.

In 9 years of working on this car weekly, I've driven every intake, exhaust, combo, wheels, gears, snorkels, ecu, you name it. They all feel about the same. But there are ringers...ones that JUST SHINE AND HAUL ASS.

The slowest cars, hands down, are the cars with big wheels on them.

It is MY THEORY that cars with snorkels and such are loosing HP. Come do a roll on with my car. Anyone. You'll lose, unless you have the same mods and then some.

The fastest ones have stock wheels or lighter, and a complete High quality exhaust system with a test pipe. Header with proven gains, test pipe, and very high quality exhaust.
Bill you should give us your opinion on what exhausts do work, and what headers work, just so we can avoid the bad ones. Then if it comes down to cost members can decide to keep the factory systems and be confident they aren't missing out on much. Nothing worse than spending money on mods just to end up with a worse running s2000. Light wheels are huge benefits, which is why I stuck with the 16 inch JDM BBS ap1 wheels all those years despite the narrow rubber issues. On my newly acquired Integra I'm down to 15 inch rims, the RFP1's on it are 9 lbs and so light, still worth keeping the narrow rubber to benefit from light wheels.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

I always liked the snorkel for the S, I to don't like how small(thin) the snorkel gets going over the radiator support bar. But I have never tested one to see if they restrict the air enough to cause a ristriction up at red line. If one could incorporate a cobra head fitting going over the radiator bar that would give all the flow without any restriction. I've seen cobra head fittings on ORT(over the road trucks) that had 855ci engines to get by tight bends.
I don't have the expertise to build one, just throwing it out there if someone has the time and means to make one. I would think all one would have to do is cut the part out that goes over the radiator support bar and add a new cobra head in its place. Might make for a good winter project for someone that has to put their S away for the winter.

With a hood scoop that has the air going directly from the hood to the air box you would get all the rain too. So this mod would be for non-rain days only. With a snorkel you won't get the rain up to the air box unless you drive in some deep water and if you do that you got more problems than just some water in your air box.

ROD
Old 06-02-2018, 10:03 AM

Also maybe adding some rubber trim on slam panel or hood to seal from heat soak.
ps I only paid $10 for the snorkel from a scrap yard

Last edited by noodels; 06-03-2018 at 12:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
fuzbuket (06-06-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by twohoos
Just to throw some fuel on this very, very old fire...
Here are a couple photos of the car in its prototype form (circa late '98/early '99).

LHD:

RHD:
This !!
Old 06-02-2018, 04:50 PM

That's how it should have come from the factory, IMO they stopped just a bit too short in production form and I don't like how the end of the factory snorkel stops just by the radiator. I loved my Mugen intake as I think they got it perfect , perhaps a bit too expensive so the snorkel mod is a much better bang for the buck.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:29 PM

A slightly addictive crackle on throttle opening and a burbling on lift off with popping of exhausts< cam overlap > sounds nice

Last edited by noodels; 06-09-2018 at 01:34 AM. Reason: .
Old 06-09-2018, 02:23 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rrounds
First, My car is 100% stock(well I do run a big oil filter) .
I just got done with a test to see if there was a difference in vacuum before the air filter with the air box lid off or on. I put this on my car yesterday
Honda Intake by Rod Rounds | Photobucket
and had 8" of vacuum after a WOT run to the top of third gear(8k miles on the filter).
So today I reset the vacuum gauge and did the same third gear run and still had 8" of vacuum, then all I did was take the air box lid off and did the third gear run and it showed no vacuum. Put the lid on and had 8" of vacuum again, reset it on the side of the freeway and took the lid off-no vacuum. So I did this four times and every time with the lid on I had 8" of vacuum and with the lid off it showed no vacuum.
I just don't think the inlet on the stock air box is big enough for a stock engine at WOT. 8" is not a lot but if you add to that a filter that is not flowing very good and you could rob yourself of some top end HP.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share what I found out today with my little test,
ROD
Air intake design is an important part of an engine. Im going to go out on a limb and assume the engineers who made a car as fantastic as the S2000, also did some thorough design and testing of the air intake. Im sure it wasnt an afterthought. If you are boosting or modifying the car, i could understand changing the intake to match, but on a stock engine, id leave be.

Quick Reply: Stock Air Box a Restriction ?