S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Stumped during transmission removal

Old 11-07-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_barry,Nov 7 2005, 05:31 PM
Dont forget to position the clutch fork before bolting it up. It doesnt fit through the hole in the bellhousing if you try to install from outside.
Thanks, the fork actually fell out during our attempts at jiggling the tranny into place. That was only the 3rd or 4th time we pulled the trans back off. This sucker better go on tonight, or I'm going to start using a hammer -- a BIG hammer.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:45 PM

Well, I've decided that it's an alignment problem with the friction disc. My improvised alignment tool just has too much slop in it and no matter how close I get it by eye, it's not close enough. My improvised tool is for a Nissan -- the splines fit perfectly, but the pilot shaft is too thin, so I wrapped it in electrical tape until it fit tightly in the new bearing. Unfortunately, the reason I went with the improvised tool is because nobody around here carries a honda tool that will fit, and none of the dealerships will let me borrow/rent/buy one of theirs.

I suppose I'll get on the phone with Hardtopguy and order the honda tool in the morning, unless anyone has one I can borrow?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Former Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 281 Posts

Go to autozone and ask for one for a 90-97 Accord, It's the same spline count/diameter.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So, does that mean my idea of using a piece of broom stick is a no go?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:24 PM

I'll try some of the shops on the other side of town tomorrow for an accord, but nobody had anything except for a generic honda tool, and that guy was not even close. I had them lookup civics and integras, then went back and tried fitting eveyrthing they had into the old disc and flywheel. I'd try a broomstick, but all of mine are the newfangled metal tubes.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_Highlander,Nov 7 2005, 10:24 PM
I'd try a broomstick, but all of mine are the newfangled metal tubes.
On a more serious note .................... We have a Honda mechanic near us who has done several S2000 clutches and he has done it by just "eye balling" it. He's also done it using a broomstick. Granted, he had a hoist that he could stand under. He also had the benefit of a tranny jack.
Doing it with jackstands and laying on your back, I'd go with the correct pin, too.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_Highlander,Nov 7 2005, 09:45 PM
Well, I've decided that it's an alignment problem with the friction disc.
It is unlikely a new alignment tool will change much if you are getting it to mate except for the last half inch.. I would think some shaking around and shove forward would eventually get it.. it is easy to let the tranny sag when stabbing it and a more accurate FD placement won't change that.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I did mine without an alignment tool. At three points around the edges of the pressure plate you can see both the friction plate and the pressure plate face and they are exactly the same diameter. Before tightening up the presure plate I made sure the edges were aligned and the tranny went on easily.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Also, if you are most of the way on and can partially operate the clutch fork it will release the friction plate and should relieve any misalignment.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by cdelena,Nov 7 2005, 11:39 PM
It is unlikely a new alignment tool will change much if you are getting it to mate except for the last half inch.. I would think some shaking around and shove forward would eventually get it.. it is easy to let the tranny sag when stabbing it and a more accurate FD placement won't change that.
I would agree with you except that I can see scratches on the top edge of the input shaft and corresponding scratches on the edge of the pilot bearing where they are clearly hitting. I made several attempts with my improvised tool and each one was close, but slightly off. My plan for tomorrow is to try to find a suitable accord tool, order one if I can't, then spend a while under the car trying to get it closer by eye. I'll get it done eventually.

Quick Reply: Stumped during transmission removal