S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

TCT REVIEW-Why I Choose and Support Billman's Product

Old 08-14-2015, 12:09 PM

Received 1,317 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by volcomboy390
Iv put less than 10k miles on my Ballade TCT and Autowave just confirmed my chain and gear need to be replaced now, not sure if they are related but I had Alex install it for me when i bought it and everything was in perfect condition at that time
What part of the gear is showing damage, warranting it's need for replacement?
Old 08-14-2015, 12:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by volcomboy390
Iv put less than 10k miles on my Ballade TCT and Autowave just confirmed my chain and gear need to be replaced now, not sure if they are related but I had Alex install it for me when i bought it and everything was in perfect condition at that time

Could that be because (as has been suggested on this forum) the Ballade unit is over tensioning the chain ?
Old 08-15-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure wish we could get some definitive info on the ballade unit. Ive got around 10k on mine and no issues that I know of but id like to know if I have a ticking time bomb.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

^ Hello sir,

Our unit has not been directly linked to one blown up motor in the entire world. We believe this thread is an attempt to persuade the public opinion about our high quality unit that has been sold in over 30 countries. No mention of any blown motors or failures have ever been reported to us. It is true our older units did not use a heat treated pin, but despite any of the wear marks made on the pin, NONE OF THEM HAVE EVER BROKEN causing damage that has been insinuated by the OP. The OP made accusations that the internal wear would cause catastrophic engine failure. But I assure you, your Ballade Sports Timing Chaing Tensioner is a solid unit.

As, for all the gentlemen asking for a changed date from the non-heat treated pins to heat treated we don't have a specific time frame because it was a running change. We believe it was approximately 6 months before our Billet TCT was release to the public.

Ballade Sports has sold over 500 of our TCTs and never had one unit sent in for warranty. Since this thread was introduced only 2 customers with our older units asked for replacement pins. Not because of any sort of damage to their motors, just strictly because of the panic the OP tried to invoke. Despite that, we gladly obliged. We strive to continue to provide solutions to our S2000 members along with many other platforms running F20/F22C motors.

Thank you in advance for your consideration. Please feel free to email or call us should anyone have any questions about our products.

Alex Doan
Ballade Sports
13851 A Better Way #11D
Garden Grove, CA 92843
714-902-9027
www.balladesports.com
Old 08-15-2015, 09:13 PM

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by jkelley
Originally Posted by zeroptzero' timestamp='1428964521' post='23576528
I just had one installed at the Dragon event, the odd noises that I previously had disappeared immediately, glad I got one.
What "weird noises?" Not just the common TCT clicking?
I wasn't getting the typical "cards in the spokes" type noise when the engine was running. I was getting what I describe as a rattlesnake noise within the first couple seconds of start-up. I assume the noise had to do with the timing chain rubbing within the first few seconds of starting the engine. As soon as Billman installed his latest and greatest TCT the noise immediately went away and has not returned. Needless to say I am happy, my Honda TCT was working fine during most engine operations other than that, but it was enough to bug me.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:51 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

So minus the corporate attitude of, I am superior. Your basically saying that the op is a liar and is purposely trying to hurt your business. Well the op is a s2k guru, and deals with s2ks more than any one of us. Potential for metal filings in the motor? Thats a problem!

Op states that a tct with a non harded pin will fall apart, you should check yours because metal filings are not cool. More or less a blanket statement. Then says the Billman HAS a hardened pin, so this will not be an issue. Of your 500, how many are floating around without hardened pins?

I asked for a changeover date because in any recall, consumers should be notified. If I change my proprietary formula that I've been giving my clients for the past two years without a word because of potential irrevocable damages, when they catch on they'll be asking all sorts of questions and I better have answers. In my business, transparency to the clients is paramount.

Theres a difference between guys like jordan and bill vs alex and justin. They stand behind running cars, and they dont bash other companies, they inform the community for potential problems before they happen. The others may have small shops, but mainly, they are parts pushers, pushing inferior quality products to the unbeknownst community. I mean selling comp clutches for the s2k should be punishable by firesquad, and so should selling the notion that the stock cams are out of timing from the block! Insanity.

Help the community? You guys are real parasites at times!
Old 08-17-2015, 07:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

^Sir,

You are more than welcome to your opinion. Ballade Sports has no animosity toward any of our fellow SPONSORS and S2ki members. The only bashing of other companies I see, is coming from USERNAME: SmokeyGatto

Originally Posted by SmokeyGatto
I mean selling comp clutches for the s2k should be punishable by firesquad, and so should selling the notion that the stock cams are out of timing from the block! Insanity.
We understand you do not like our products, despite not actually having used them, but others have and had very good results therefore we stand by the performance gains they produce.

Your concerns about metal filings in a motor are valid. This is why our motors are equipped with an OIL FILTER. A Stock Factory motor, can and will produce a mass of metal shavings in its life time. Some of us have seen this on a magnetic oil drain bolt.

We like to believe we are helping the S2000 community while also running a business. Through business strategies we are able to produce products or source alternate product which repair or enhance our S2000. Example: The upper Vtec Solenoid gasket. I believe we are the only company in the world that offers this.

Without Ballade Sports, everyone is still subject to purchasing a complete VTEC solenoid assembly from Honda to repair an internal gasket issue. We have made it possible for everyone to inexpensively repair their oil leak. We strive for public favor but it is not possible to please everyone.

Again, should anyone have ANY issues regarding our products please do not hesitate to call our office and or email/PM. Thank you very much for your consideration.

Alex Doan
Ballade Sports
13851 A Better Way #11D
Garden Grove, CA 92843
714-902-9027
www.balladesports.com
Old 08-17-2015, 07:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ I consider $30 for an o-ring price gouging. Anyway, back on topic...
Old 08-17-2015, 09:35 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeyGatto
So minus the corporate attitude of, I am superior. Your basically saying that the op is an liar and is purposely trying to hurt your business. Well the op is a s2k guru, and deals with s2ks more than any one of us. Potential for metal filings in the motor? Thats a problem!

Op states that a tct with a non harded pin will fall apart, you should check yours because metal filings are not cool. More or less a blanket statement. Then says the Billman HAS a hardened pin, so this will not be an issue. Of your 500, how many are floating around without hardened pins?

I asked for a changeover date because in any recall, consumers should be notified. If I change my proprietary formula that I've been giving my clients for the past two years without a word because of potential irrevocable damages, when they catch on they'll be asking all sorts of questions and I better have answers. In my business, transparency to the clients is paramount.

Theres a difference between guys like jordan and bill vs alex and justin. They stand behind running cars, and they dont bash other companies, they inform the community for potential problems before they happen. The others may have small shops, but mainly, they are parts pushers, pushing inferior quality products to the unbeknownst community. I mean selling comp clutches for the s2k should be punishable by firesquad, and so should selling the notion that the stock cams are out of timing from the block! Insanity.

Help the community? You guys are real parasites at times!
With all due respect, I wouldn't really say Alex said anything near that strong about the OP. Alex said:

attempt to persuade the public opinion about our high quality unit that has been sold in over 30 countries

Well, yeah...that's exactly what the thread is. It's a review. There's nothing wrong with that. The OP never said anything about trying to hurt Ballade's business.

There may be differing opinions about the different designs of TCT's. That's OK. And it's OK for people to have theories about expected outcomes, but, if none have failed, or caused any other failure, then it's theory still at this point.

I don't work at Ballade of course, but I don't know of any recall, so I'm not sure what you are referring to there. And running changes are made all the time by manufacturers without notification. I don't know what business you are in, but if that kind of transparency is important in your business, then, hey, that's a good thing. (I"m curious, and confused, about what business you are in because you state that you have a proprietary formula, but you will tell your clients you've made a change in the formula, but, if it's proprietary, you won't tell them what the change is, correct?) I'm sure you know in the automotive business that running changes are far, far more numerous than any announced changes. A couple quick things that come to mind are Honda's constant, yearly changes in spring rates and roll bars, without every really disclosing exactly what the change was. Or, the change in OEM brake pads from AP1's to AP2's.

Ballade has said pop out your previously purchased TCT, and if there is any wear on it, he'll replace it. No questions asked. What more could they offer?

Old 08-17-2015, 09:53 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SH
^ I consider $30 for an o-ring price gouging. Anyway, back on topic...
Ehh....expensive for an O ring? Sure it is...but we've got no idea what it cost them to procure it, and ship it out to a buyer.

But gouging, not really. I'd look at it as a welcome money saving alternative. I'd say Honda is gouging really, wouldn't you? Having a part with a high known failure rate, forcing the fix to be a replacement of the whole part at an msrp of over $250, when, what they could do, with simple click of a button, is to order the gaskets and sell them individually. But they don't. Or heck, what are we talking about in the first place? The TCT! Huge, huge failure rate, but no alternative by Honda other than a new one . And you know it's gonna fail again. But, the aftermarket one's haven't failed yet.

Or, God, this is the one that pisses me off the most....Cats that fail, cause you to fail your smog test, make a huge freakin rattle, then not only force you to spend almost $1000 for the cat, and over $300 for a likely broken O2 sensor, but never fix the problem despite 10 years of making the car!!! That, is for sure, is gouging. And, while I'm on a rant, how about Honda's practice of gradually increasing parts prices as they get older and inventory drops! Way way beyond what Honda may have to pay in their costs.

Quick Reply: TCT REVIEW-Why I Choose and Support Billman's Product