S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Tenioner pulley indicator position

Old 01-07-2019, 12:51 AM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Did you change the rectifier in the alternator because of flickering dash lights from a jump start?
I didn't know a jump start would do this. I did have a couple times AAA come out with a new battery, wonder if they may have done it then...
Old 01-07-2019, 01:09 AM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

I'm under the assumption that the belt tightens as it heats up? I could be completely wrong here, but is proper belt tension taken when the car is up to operating temp in the bay? Or is it checked with the car off and cold? I can't see your belts stretching out of spec that quickly.....Unless you see weird stuff going on like the belt not tracking properly or the tensioner moving back and forth I wouldn't worry about it. Especially with new OEM belts......damn. I bought one to do mine when I get around to it and I hard time forking out the cash for just a damn belt.....
Old 01-07-2019, 03:12 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Guide
I didn't know a jump start would do this. I did have a couple times AAA come out with a new battery, wonder if they may have done it then...
its not the jump start, its the charging a dead battery from 0-100 with the alternator, it over heats the rectifier and it pops. Best to let the battery charge up before going for a ride if the batt dies.

for your belt issue, inspect each pully see if there is anything off, otherwise I would just drive her and keep a spare belt in the trunk.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:24 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

The belt wear indicator marks are not accurate, only a guide. Do not let them sway you.

You can remove the belt, loosen the two tensioner bolts, and re-clock the unit slightly for better accuracy.

To save your rectifier and prevent a flickering dashboard, always try to charge a dead battery with a wall charger.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:42 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
The belt wear indicator marks are not accurate, only a guide. Do not let them sway you.

You can remove the belt, loosen the two tensioner bolts, and re-clock the unit slightly for better accuracy.

To save your rectifier and prevent a flickering dashboard, always try to charge a dead battery with a wall charger.
as opposed to getting a new battery? or as opposed to jump starting?
Old 01-17-2019, 06:01 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

If your battery is dead or very low, for some reason, rather than perform a jump start and drive it (the alternator will provide for the running car and also charge the battery) it is better to charge the battery with a charger (or replace the battery with a good one). This prevents destroying the rectifier from all the current the alternator would provide charging the battery with the car in operation.

This may be a little inconvenient but so is replacing the rectifier.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:34 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

^
Old 01-17-2019, 08:37 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

so you're saying jump starting is bad for the alternator. i don't doubt the accuracy of that, since it's simply true or not true.

but what's interesting is that my rectifier went bad from never having jump started it. the battery was replaced once at a honda dealership before the original battery even exhibited any problems.

comparatively, with a new rectifier, i had jump started a dead battery three or four times. the rectifier is still holding up longer after the multiple jump starts, compared to the original rectifier that went bad with zero jumpstarts.

strange.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250

Billman, I finally got a chance to loosen the tensioner bolts and there was a bit of wiggle to 're-clock' so the indicator is a tad to the left.

But why would Honda provide these indicator marks if it's not accurate and so then how does one know what range they should be in?

Old 01-27-2019, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
replacing the rectifier.
Aside from flickering dash lights, what adverse effects does a bad rectifier have on the car since it's running incorrect power through the car? Does it hurt the battery? Performance?

Quick Reply: Tenioner pulley indicator position