S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Are there any limitations on the Greddy e-mannage ECU????

Old 02-24-2003, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are there any limitations on the Greddy e-mannage ECU????

I'm gonna start building a turbo conversion for my S but I'm doing it step by step over a few months, basicly because I can't save up money to save my life so I have to do it this way, so I'm starting with the ECU whilst getting my manifold fabricated I've looked at the AEM EMS but looks abit overkill for what I need & the Motec is too expensive as I dont intend to race it just looking for more power!
so this leaves me with the Greddy e-mannage!

1; Are there any more ECU options?(I dont want a VAFC with FMU)

2; What limitations does the greddy have that I should know about?

Thanks in advance
Andy
Old 02-25-2003, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could use a speedpro but that costs a lot of cheese. I had a n emanage before and it cannot control boost, or shit i cant remember what else. ill post if i remember. my emanage was swapped for an aem ems. go with that its worth the cash
Old 02-25-2003, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the emanage by itself won't control the boost, but they have a boost controller to go with it.

Alhtough I have not seen one the Profec e-01 controls both or is the boost portion or something like that.

This way you don't need a laptop to program it. I wonder where the big lcd screen would fit?
Old 02-25-2003, 07:56 PM

I've got the eManage running on my SC'ed S and I I think it's one of the best products. I've had a V-AFC and AEM EMS on the car prior to the eManage and I agree that for most of us the EMS is overkill, and that V-AFC is not sufficient enough. While AEM EMS is the most versitile of the options you've mentioned, with versatility comes many other things, such as undue complexity. The eManage works like a baby EMS in many ways. The interaction with the featuresand maps is similar. One feature that you will like with a turbo is the option to plug in a Greddy Pressure Sensor into the eManage. This allows you to keep your stock MAP sensor going to the ECU while adding a secondary map sensor to be used with the eManage. This is good for boost applications that exceed the ranges of the stock MAP sensor. The eManage can also control larger injectors, which is a great plus...there are just so many things it does in a very easy manner. I can't think of anything negative to say about it.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:07 PM

So you program yours with a laptop or do you use the screen?

Is there some sort of map or engine learning cycle built in to get you going quickly?
Old 02-25-2003, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by David b
So you program yours with a laptop or do you use the screen?

Is there some sort of map or engine learning cycle built in to get you going quickly?
I use my laptop. I'll probably get the screen sometime, but the laptop works well enough.

Since it's a piggyback system there is no basemap to load. You're just going to modify the inputs going into the ECU from the OEM sensors like a V-AFC does. The difference in eManage and a V-AFC is the range of control that the eManage has. For example, the V-AFC modifies the MAP sensor voltage to change fuel deliver while the eManage has 3 different ways it can manage fuel; MAP Sensor, Injector Duty Cycle, and Additonal Injectors. The eManage can control up to two additional injectors. If you were to replace your OEM injectors with larger ones, you can program the eManage for this increase. It will then automatically remove fuel on a percentage basis so that the car runs just like it did before the new injectors were installed. From what I understand, the biggest drawback of adding larger injectors to a car without a full-fledged EMS is that the car doesn't idle well or run well at low RPM's. This feature is to combat that problem.

Each group of settings, such as Injector Duty Cycle, is represented in a map. It's a 16x16 (I beleive) grid. You can modify the X and Y values for your car (RPM and Pressure for the Injector map) and then set the settings inside the map. It has an interpolation feature that allows you to set the fuel at X% at 9K RPM, then interpolate that down to 0% at 5K RPM. This helps you to create a smooth map quickly. You can save your settings to a file and have different programs that you might use at different times, or for use while initially tuning the car. Exporting a set of maps that you've created to the eManage takes only seconds.

The only problem I've run into with the eManage is that the MAP sensor method of adding fuel was rather jumpy and not smooth at all. I then tried the Injector Duty Cycle method and got a nice smooth delivery of fuel, and did see the increased A/F in my A/F gauge. The only "tuning" I've done so far on the eManage is playing around with it on the street, to get familiar with it. I'm currently running a map that provides 10% more fuel at 9K and fades down to 0% at 5K RPM.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:15 PM

That sounds much nicer and easier than the VAFC.

I would be very interested in seeing your dyno before and after.

I assume you are still NA?
Old 02-26-2003, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by David b
I assume you are still NA?
No, Comptech.

I'm not going to be dyno'ing until I do my boost upgrade...which is the whole reason I got the eManage.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:43 PM

Wesmaster NA? Ha ha, that was a good one
Old 02-26-2003, 05:30 PM

When I get my Toda cams, an eManage will be finding its way under my hood. There's a local guru here and the tuning sounds sweet!

Quick Reply: Are there any limitations on the Greddy e-mannage ECU????