S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

There IS an OEM differential fluid!

Old 11-24-2003, 05:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I give you this thread as an example:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=115704
There have been many others.

We've been under the impression that Honda dealers do NOT have the proper fluid that goes into our cars' rear diff. It would now appear that, at least with most dealers, they are not following the memo that was released quite some time ago. Here is a scan as provided by "VTR_Gary", our friend, board member and local Honda tech at "Yellowhead Honda" in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada:

(Click on photo to select a larger view.)
This is a memo released by Honda Canada. I would think that Honda U.S.A would have had this as well. Just as this fluid is NOT to be used in the diffs of CRV's, the fluid for a CRV should NOT be used in the S2000 and THIS has been the most blatant mistake that has been made thus far.
If you go to your dealer for a diff fluid change, make sure that you ask for this P/N specifically. If they do not or will not get it for you, LEAVE AT ONCE and go elsewhere.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll take a copy of the letter to my local Honda dealership tomorrow and see what they have to say. When I was there last time, I asked the parts guy what type of gear oil they use. He said that they have a drum of 80W-90. So, I really doubt that they'll have it in stock, but perhaps the part number will tell them something.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:12 AM

So would this be a "better" oil than say the Mobil 1 that a lot of us have been using? I'm almost up for a swap. As expected, haven't had any issues with Mobil 1 synthetic diff fluid.

Thanks, Dave. Rock and roll, babyboy.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:06 AM

I wouldn't say better. I was chatting with xviper and it came up that many people didn't think that Honda made a diff oil for the S2k and that aftermarket was the only option. If it were my car I'd probably stick with a good synthetic like Mobil. I merely wanted to point out that not only does Honda offer real 80W-90 but it is very easy for any Honda Tech to find the service letter posted above.

*Oh and thanks for the shameless plug, Dave!
Old 11-25-2003, 08:48 AM

My dealer gave me the Dual Pump Fluid when I was changing all my fluids a few months ago. Luckily, I noticed that the old fluid was not even similar in color, viscosity, or odor. I immediately went to the parts store and bought Mobil 1 diff. fluid to put back in.

When I took the dual pump fluid back to the dealership and pointed out that they had given me the incorrect fluid. They gave me my money back for all the items that I bought that day. It was in the neighborhood of $50.00.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kaolinte
My dealer gave me the Dual Pump Fluid when I was changing all my fluids a few months ago.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm using the RedLine Shockproof stuff. Thick red goo that smells worse than dog farts.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by cthree
I'm using the RedLine Shockproof stuff. Thick red goo that smells worse than dog farts.
The fact that you've done this comparison is somewhat disturbing.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:15 AM

I took the memo to the parts department at my local dealership. The guy spent a lot of time trying, but couldn't validate the part number. So, it looks like even if it does exist, it's not in the parts system for the dealerships to order anyway.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting, Xviper:

That spec was for the 00-02.

What about subsequent models?

And if Mobil mineral oil is what Honda uses for engine, doubt their diff oil is anything to write home about.

Quick Reply: There IS an OEM differential fluid!