S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Thinking about removing resonator

Old 02-20-2004, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about removing resonator

I recently bought my S2K. While I'dont really have the funds to buy an exhaust system, nor do I want somthing that loud I'm thinking what would happen If I got the reasonator removed and put in lets say a streight pipe. The way I understand it is that the resonator is what keeps the sound quiter and might keep it from droning. Has anyone done this? Are there any down sides? Are there any other suggestions you might have for me?

thanks, Leo
Old 02-20-2004, 08:35 AM

I don't know of anyone that has removed the resonator in its entirety yet. I have heard of many that have removed the Helmholtz resonator though. It's a 6" length of pipe that extends out of the exhaust piping. If you're ever under the car, you will see it right away.

Removing this piece (and patching the resultant hole of course ) will result in a more aggressive exhaust note.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:42 AM

I don't understand why anyone would bother removing their resonator. You're not going to gain any power by doing so. The only reason the resonator is there is to keep your exhaust from driving you insane from droning.

It's your headache... go ahead if you're really bored.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:55 AM

So it will definently drone if i remove it?
Old 02-20-2004, 11:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not know about the stock exhaust personally, but previous experiences would say yes - it is not restrictive, and helps the engineers avoid nasty resonances (which is what a drone is - it is a high amplitude sound wave at a frequency or range of frequencies).

I remember that others have done it so search - Rick hesel has thre SuperSprint, and its mid-pipe can be ordered either with or w/o a resonator - Rick told me that his resonator-less system sounds great.

The resonator is on the Stock S2k for a reason - according to the Hanley book, the engineers tried many, many setups until they foound the one that was quiet enough for legal compliance, but had the right tone for the enthusiast. I think they made their choices far more for the compliance than the sporty note, but they also provided a civilized day to day car - for peolle like me who use the car as an F16 rather than a B-52, I prefer a sportier, snarling exhaust tone which would likely prove unpleasant day to day.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:14 PM

I had the resonator( small straight through muffler before the "Y" split) replaced with a straight pipe a little over a year ago. It cost me $20 at a local muffler shop, I then painted many coats of high temp. paint on the welds and straight pipe to ensure no future rust. There is absolutely NO DRONING!!!! The best way I can describe the sound is a low, deep hum similar to the 350Z. This is not loud at all , at low rpm's you get the low hum but high rpm's it sounds like stock. It gives you a little extra sound but it's minimal and in no way like a loud annoying fart can or bees in a basket drone. Great mod at a great price.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:31 PM

Thanks that is exactly what I wanted to hear. This is all I could think of. If anyone else has an idea let know
Old 02-21-2004, 05:29 AM

So would the SuperSprint exhaust be louder w/o the SuperSprint resonator or with the SS straight pipe ???

Is there a difference in exhaust tone with or w/o the SS resonator??........Rick ????
Old 02-21-2004, 07:12 AM

Yes, any exhaust will be louder without a resonator to varying degrees depending on the type of exhaust.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:59 AM
R11

Originally posted by hygiene boy
I had the resonator( small straight through muffler before the "Y" split) replaced with a straight pipe a little over a year ago. It cost me $20 at a local muffler shop, I then painted many coats of high temp. paint on the welds and straight pipe to ensure no future rust. There is absolutely NO DRONING!!!! The best way I can describe the sound is a low, deep hum similar to the 350Z. This is not loud at all , at low rpm's you get the low hum but high rpm's it sounds like stock. It gives you a little extra sound but it's minimal and in no way like a loud annoying fart can or bees in a basket drone. Great mod at a great price.
Hmmm, now this sounds interesting. The stock exhaust system on the S sounds great at higher RPM of course, but it's just a bit too sedate at idle and low RPM for me even as my daily driver (and I'm an "old" fart of 45 ). I have openly coveted that 350Z idle and low R tone/sound since the very first time I heard it. It is very sweet and IMO, maybe the best thing about the car . So hygiene boy, is the tone really that similar? And how about volume? I know it's hard to estimate but would you say the lower RPM sound level is similar to the Z as well? If so, I will be seriously looking into this. TIA

ron

Quick Reply: Thinking about removing resonator