S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Those of you with vented hoods...

Old 11-26-2004, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those of you with vented hoods...

Does anyone drive their S with vented hood through rain...? And how do you wash your car? I used to have vented hood on my prelude and I covered the vents during the car wash...do I need to do the same for my S too... I really love the vented hood on the S...thanks.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:28 PM

Depends on which hood and where the vents are. I have a Kaminary and its not much of a problem as the water drops straight through in front of the cross bar brace. Since I don't have the stock air cleaner, there is not much there.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've driven mine through all kinds of rain, sometimes extremely heavy downpours. It all depends on where the vents are. I have a Top Secret hood and when the rain goes in, it doesn't fall on anything that would be harmed. The only concern you might have is if you get a huge quantity of water suddenly falling onto a really hot exhaust manifold. If you are stock, you have a heat shield to keep any water from falling directly onto the hot pipes, so no big deal. I have a Toda header (no heat shields) but the T.S. hood doesn't have it's vents over the manifold anyway.
Then you have to consider that if you are out driving when it begins to rain AND you have the vents directly over a non-shielded manifold, any rain that comes in while you are moving, will be at a rate that will not be overwhelming. If you start your drive into pouring rain, the manifold won't be hot to begin with and again, if you're moving, the rain won't come down on it like a waterfall.
Only a couple of vented hoods have the vents directly over the exhaust manifold. The combination of that particular hood and having no heat shields on the exhaust would be rare. All in all, not something to worry about.
ps. The rest of the engine won't care if it gets a bit of rain falling on it. It'll just get dirty and spotted. But a periodic wash will fix that. And yes, I ocassionally wash my engine with a garden hose and it's never shrunk on me yet.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:59 PM

I want to get the seibon mugen-style hood. Thanks for your help guys. I guess I'll just have to clean my engine bay after each rain so I can keep my engine bay clean.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:07 PM

yeah i was extremely scared when i put my J's carbon fiber hood in. i also have the comptech intake and can see it. im so scared but it doesnt see to lead to the hole in the intake cover lid. ill let anyone know if theres any problems that ill run into.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Nov 26 2004, 03:42 PM
I've driven mine through all kinds of rain, sometimes extremely heavy downpours. It all depends on where the vents are. I have a Top Secret hood and when the rain goes in, it doesn't fall on anything that would be harmed. The only concern you might have is if you get a huge quantity of water suddenly falling onto a really hot exhaust manifold. If you are stock, you have a heat shield to keep any water from falling directly onto the hot pipes, so no big deal. I have a Toda header (no heat shields) but the T.S. hood doesn't have it's vents over the manifold anyway.
Then you have to consider that if you are out driving when it begins to rain AND you have the vents directly over a non-shielded manifold, any rain that comes in while you are moving, will be at a rate that will not be overwhelming. If you start your drive into pouring rain, the manifold won't be hot to begin with and again, if you're moving, the rain won't come down on it like a waterfall.
Only a couple of vented hoods have the vents directly over the exhaust manifold. The combination of that particular hood and having no heat shields on the exhaust would be rare. All in all, not something to worry about.
ps. The rest of the engine won't care if it gets a bit of rain falling on it. It'll just get dirty and spotted. But a periodic wash will fix that. And yes, I ocassionally wash my engine with a garden hose and it's never shrunk on me yet.

hey XV, I thought the TS hood is the one with the rear triangle of vents... and isn't that pretty much directly over the exhaust manifold?

just curious. I mean, I'm sure you're capable of eyeballing whether water will fall on it since you have the hood, but I'm just confused. I thought that triangle of vents was there to help vent the heat from the exhaust manifold.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by tritium_pie,Nov 27 2004, 08:10 AM

hey XV, I thought the TS hood is the one with the rear triangle of vents... and isn't that pretty much directly over the exhaust manifold?

just curious. I mean, I'm sure you're capable of eyeballing whether water will fall on it since you have the hood, but I'm just confused. I thought that triangle of vents was there to help vent the heat from the exhaust manifold.
I should have mentioned that I have the T.S. "clone". That last vent by the battery is fake. However, even if it was real, it does not reside over the exhaust manifold. On the "real" T.S. hood that lone vent would be very good at allowing the heat from the exhaust to escape. It doesn't have to be directly over the manifold pipes to perform this task. I think it was originally intended to keep the brake and clutch reservoirs from getting too hot on a right hand drive car. Most of the clones were intended for the N. American market.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:05 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only vented hood with rain channels is the authentic Mugen hood, and that is part of what you pay for with it. I have the Mugen hood and under heavy washing water does not get into the engine bay (unless you stick the hose down the vents ). I have driven through peltering rain - no water, it even sat outside during a hurricane - no water.......just kept an eye out for tree limbs
Old 11-27-2004, 08:32 AM

My T.S. clone came with rain channels installed. I removed them before I installed the hood.
Here you can see the rain channel:

Here's a better depiction of where that 3rd fake vent is:
Old 11-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I stand corrected - I have yet to see a TS style hood with those channels....maybe that is becuase everyone I know with the TS style hood has things under there that need clearing, so they have cut out the channels

Quick Reply: Those of you with vented hoods...