S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Thought the tranny blew...

Old 07-10-2018, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thought the tranny blew...

... but rather, found a blown diff instead. That is somewhat of a saving grace, as I replaced the engine last year and was not mentally prepared to drop the engine again for a blown tranny. As the story goes...

I put an '04 engine in my '05 last year. The old engine blew due to overheating - long story, won't get into here. Nonetheless, I decided to install ACT Prolite flywheel and pressure plate w/ OEM friction disk. I have the old Comptech Novi 1000 supercharger kit with "stock" pulley, which was powerful enough to cause clutch slippage from time to time when shifting 1 -> 2. The ACT clutch fixed this, hooray. However, my quick gear shift habit must stop, because it thrashes the tranny every now n then. On a spirited launch this past weekend, something broke when I quick shifted 1 -> 2. I immediately assumed it was the tranny. To be honest, I am not sure what blown tranny symptoms are, and not 100% sure that the transmission is ok. But the diff is definitely shot.

After lifting the car, I found that rotating a rear wheel does not cause wheel on other side to rotate in opposite direction. I put the tranny in neutral, and manually rotated the drive shaft; there was a "dead" spot where the diff did not engage, as in, the rear wheels stopped rotating while twisting the drive shaft. I proceeded to open the diff drain, and found big shards of metal on the mag plug. No surprise there.

So, two questions.

1) puddymod rebuilt my diff 10 years / 40k miles ago. Is he still in business, or other options? I don't have the expertise, tools, or facility to rebuild my own diff.

2) In the offending quick shift from 1 -> 2, gears were thrashed. Was the diff the saving grace, or is there a reasonable chance that the tranny blew at the same time? I think the likelihood is low, but wanted to bounce that off the community. (If tranny ok, point made.... SHIFT SLOWER!)

Thanks
Old 07-11-2018, 05:37 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

See this recent thread about puddymod: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...light=puddymod

Levi
Old 07-11-2018, 06:03 PM
Community Organizer

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

#2) Tranny should be fine. Diff took the hit.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:35 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Sorry it's off topic but still relevant, are you using a clutch interlock bypass?
Old 07-11-2018, 11:45 PM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

highly doubt the transmission would break from quick shifts. In fact double clutching and rev matching are blessings for your driveline (not so much for the diff if you are hard launching often). You gotta get that diff rebuilt or look for a reasonably priced replacement and strengthen that one while its out the car.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:57 PM

Alright, thanks all for reaffirming that the tranny is probably ok. Still, gear clashing makes you sound like a noob, and I must retrain my left foot / right hand. I got a comm channel open with puddymod now, so hopefully we can get the diff sorted out. For what it's worth, I do have the Comptech reinforced diff, with puddy's steel sleeve. He did the re-build and I trust his work - there is a lot of testament.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
Sorry it's off topic but still relevant, are you using a clutch interlock bypass?
Hmm not sure what that is without googling it, but I did remove the clutch delay valve years ago.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyRuttin
Alright, thanks all for reaffirming that the tranny is probably ok. Still, gear clashing makes you sound like a noob, and I must retrain my left foot / right hand. I got a comm channel open with puddymod now, so hopefully we can get the diff sorted out. For what it's worth, I do have the Comptech reinforced diff, with puddy's steel sleeve. He did the re-build and I trust his work - there is a lot of testament.
Dang you must be dropping like it's hot!(the clutch that is) How you managed to break it with those reinforcements blows my mind.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Pinky
How you managed to break it with those reinforcements blows my mind.
Exactly, I thought the diff was set for life. Hence my concern for the tranny.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:09 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Tranny forks or shift columns can easily by bent or worn out when quick shifting. Also u can break the relieve pun that holds the shift rod when slamming into a gear.

Quick Reply: Thought the tranny blew...