S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Ticking during idle, thoughts?

Old 12-31-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Ticking during idle, thoughts?

I have a ticking at idle that seems to have gotten worse after a recent valve adjustment and I'd like to get some thoughts on what it could be. I've listened to like 50 other S2000 engine ticking videos and suspect an improper valve adjustment but am not 100% sure. Car is stock with a recently added Billman TCT.

The ticking seems to become more pronounced when warmed up, and the second video taken a couple days ago sounds as if it's not uniform in the idle ticking.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:14 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I sometimes take a card board tube (shipping tube or something like that) and hold it to my ear and move the other end around to see where a noise is coming from. Or, you could probably get fancy with a mic, amp, and headphones.

I'm no expert. But, my understanding is that if a valve is noisy the noise often goes away when the engine gets hot because valve noise is generally caused by loose value gaps and the gaps gets smaller with the expanding metal (the gap settings are designed with that in mind). So, if the noise get worse when the engine is hot, my first thought would be its probably not valve noise caused by maladjustment.

That engine sounds pretty good to me. But, what do I know?

Last edited by rpg51; 12-31-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:24 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Some amount of ticking is normal. These cars are noisier than most production cars.

If a valve needed adjustment, it usually gets noisier after its properly adjusted. As valve seat wear occurs, clearances get tighter, which makes valve quieter. Then when its adjusted back to proper spec, its looser, and noisier. So its possible all is normal.

But if you suspect things are truely too noisy, record the noise and post a link so we can hear it. So mamy things can make ticking noise, from tct to serp pulleys to improper valve adjustment.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 356 Likes on 331 Posts

My old engines LMA"s looked quite worn on removal, maybe ?
Old 12-31-2017, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Some amount of ticking is normal. These cars are noisier than most production cars.

If a valve needed adjustment, it usually gets noisier after its properly adjusted. As valve seat wear occurs, clearances get tighter, which makes valve quieter. Then when its adjusted back to proper spec, its looser, and noisier. So its possible all is normal.

But if you suspect things are truely too noisy, record the noise and post a link so we can hear it. So mamy things can make ticking noise, from tct to serp pulleys to improper valve adjustment.
Hi, I've posted two videos in my original post and referenced them, do you not see them?
Old 01-01-2018, 04:30 AM

Oops, now I see them. I don't hear anything that stands out as alarming, its just overall kinda loud. Its difficult to tell from the video if its just how the mic picked it up, or if it really is louder than normal.

Maybe find someone local, compare cars?
Old 01-01-2018, 09:25 AM

The ticking is very distinct in the videos, when I give it throttle it goes away, if you have headphones or earbuds give it another listen. Listen for a higher pitched tick, tick, tick, tick, tick and then when I blip the throttle it's gone. I found some older videos I took and that ticking wasn't there.

If I understand things correctly, if valves are too tight then you don't necessarily hear it, but if too loose you will. But what would cause this higher pitched ticking (and is it even the valves?). I'm not trying to chase phantom noises here, but it's become really pronounced and highly annoying, to me it doesn't sound good at all.

Also, happy new years S2ki...
Old 01-02-2018, 02:56 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Have you had a chance to locate the ticking with the cardboard tube technique?
Did you do the VA yourself?
Old 01-02-2018, 06:13 AM

Or better yet buy an actual mechanics stethoscope. Only a few bucks from places like Harbor Freight.

Who installed the tct? Are you certain they removed the pin only after it was installed and tightened in place?
Old 01-02-2018, 06:15 AM

Received 1,280 Likes on 782 Posts

I can hear the tick, it is low frequency at idle but not bad as far as the sound (at least what can be made out via a web video, not in person)

It is likely valves or injectors. Valve adjustment is always the number one step. Improper VA is definitely possible.

A long skinny screwdriver makes the best stethoscope to listen to injectors.

Last edited by Billman250; 01-02-2018 at 06:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Ticking during idle, thoughts?