S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Timing chain replacement and TCT

Old 08-01-2019, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain replacement and TCT

So my car has gone through 190k km's (120k miles) and I have kind of decided to replace the timing chain this winter since my top gasket has started to leak some oil, and while I have everything apart, why not.

I think that my TCT is going bad too, since I can hear a small rattling noise from the chain (my car was supercharged last year)
the question I have is following:
To fix the TCT, what should I go for since I am replacing the chain? Since an old chain is stretched, will an Inline pro-TCT work together with a NEW chain?
Since billman can't do business internationally I feel like I'm kind of stuck here. (I live in europe)

Bonus question:
When I have the motor apart, what would be smart to replace more than the gasket? Any valves or anything?
Car is an MY2000 stock motor ap1 with ap2 retainers and fresh valve stem seals.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:00 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

At 120k sounds like opening a can of worms for the sake of boredom. What gasket is leaking? The TC isn't stretched at 120k. In fact it will probably outlive the rest of the motor before your going to worry about its function nd integrity. A new TCT on the other hand if the current oem has failed is an easy worthwhile swap. Too bad Billman isn't an option for you, his are the best and what I run. Not sure who else id recommend.

Your already running ap2 retainers and fresh stem seals, sounds like your ready to rock.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:10 PM

Thanks for your thoughts!

Its the gasket between the block and the head.
I have located that the oil comes out just under the header, cylinder 4.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:16 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by torrbi
Thanks for your thoughts!

Its the gasket between the block and the head.
I have located that the oil comes out just under the header, cylinder 4.
By your location description it sounds like the head gasket, but if it was I don't think an oil leak from there would be a typical issue, but rather coolant and you would have other blown HG symptoms to go along with it. You sure its not just the valve cover gasket from above leaking past?
Old 08-01-2019, 03:39 PM

When doing the retainer job I replaced the valve cover gasket and also the silicone gasket in the pan (oil has gone from the location under the header to the pan)
When doing some research, it seems like the oil comes from the oil passage where it goes down to the pan, in the red circle I've made (borrowed pic). Im almost sure its from the right passage in the circle, but that doesnt matter.

As I said, the car has been supercharged, and my tuner tuned the car so bad that it blew my cat out. It was way too rich, so thats why I also replaced the valve stem seals when doing the retainer job. The oil smelled E85.
Im thinking that the boost maybe made my gasket go bad, I dont know. It was only 12psi though...
Old 08-01-2019, 04:02 PM
Community Organizer

When doing the retainer job I replaced the valve cover gasket and also the silicone gasket in the pan (oil has gone from the location under the header to the pan)
When doing some research, it seems like the oil comes from the oil passage where it goes down to the pan, in the red circle I've made (borrowed pic). Im almost sure its from the right passage in the circle, but that doesnt matter.

As I said, the car has been supercharged, and my tuner tuned the car so bad that it blew my cat out. It was way too rich, so thats why I also replaced the valve stem seals when doing the retainer job. The oil smelled E85.
Im thinking that the boost maybe made my gasket go bad, I dont know. It was only 12psi though...
Gotcha. Well that's too bad you have to pull the HG to deal with an oil weep there. I suppose its a bad enough leak to have to address or you wouldn't be chiming in on it. Never had an oil weep there before on this motor. I've clocked close to 300k miles in total through several motors on this car. Your right that 12psi isn't a ton for this motor and wouldn't lift the head to compromise the HG, but maybe the combination of that boost and a poor tune like you said. Still the oil galley/portion of the HG is further from the compression portion and where the coolant is, which typically would go first if it was poor running/engine issue related.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 08-01-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Gotcha. Well that's too bad you have to pull the HG to deal with an oil weep there. I suppose its a bad enough leak to have to address or you wouldn't be chiming in on it. Never had an oil weep there before on this motor. I've clocked close to 300k miles in total through several motors on this car. Your right that 12psi isn't a ton for this motor and wouldn't lift the head to compromise the HG, but maybe the combination of that boost and a poor tune like you said. Still the oil galley/portion of the HG is further from the compression portion and where the coolant is, which typically would go first if it was poor running/engine issue related.
Well I wouldnt say that the leak is so bad that it really needs to be fixed asap. As long as it isnt dripping, I'm happy. But since it has come down to the pan, it is a leak after all. I'll see how much time I get this winter. If it starts to drip on the floor in the garage, then the priority of replacing it will be higher.
How long would you say that a timing chaing would last in these engines? After searching, I only get different answers. Since you have so many miles on yours, It feels like its better to listen to you. But ofc, all cars are'nt the same after all.
I wonder if an Inline pro tct would be good. I've heard mixed words about the ballade sports one.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:39 PM
Community Organizer

Well I wouldnt say that the leak is so bad that it really needs to be fixed asap. As long as it isnt dripping, I'm happy. But since it has come down to the pan, it is a leak after all. I'll see how much time I get this winter. If it starts to drip on the floor in the garage, then the priority of replacing it will be higher.
How long would you say that a timing chaing would last in these engines? After searching, I only get different answers. Since you have so many miles on yours, It feels like its better to listen to you. But ofc, all cars are'nt the same after all.
I wonder if an Inline pro tct would be good. I've heard mixed words about the ballade sports one.
Sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

Timing chains are far superior to belts when it comes to longevity. A typical belt needs replacing approximately every 100k, timing chain double that at minimum and usually longer because they will stretch before they just break unlike a belt, and a proper working tct will pick up the slack from any stretching. Given a proper TCT in this motor it wouldn't even be on my radar as a maintenance item. Like I said your far more likely to wear out the rest of the engine before the chain fails on you due to neglect or abuse in some cases, or simply loss of compression or heavy oil burn due to mileage, which is most common. Never have I heard of a chain letting go on this motor.

Ballade seems to be the tct to avoid based on some past issues with the pin deterioration. Not sure how that's been rectified or what the current status is on them. Inline MIGHT be the best bet next to Billman. My question is, why can you get one from inline but not Billman?

Last edited by s2000Junky; 08-01-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:53 PM

Received 1,567 Likes on 931 Posts

Although I am not Billman, I cannot believe that if you gave him the proper amount for the TCT and shipping (all perfectly legal) and allowed enough time to ensure that funds were legitimate, that he would not send you one. You may have to eat the "core" charge or at least wait a long time for your refund to arrive. You will have to deal with international shipping/mailing. You may want to completely clean and ensure the core TCT is FREE from ALL oil and contaiminents so you can send it without it being a "dangerous good". I would just bite the bullet and eat the core charge to avoid the hassle. You may have to find a "trusted shipper" for this.

Since your motor is in various states of assembly, the delay in getting a TCT should work out. Billman's TCT is pretty much bulletproof as many attest. I have had his installed for nearly 40K miles.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:19 AM

Received 427 Likes on 363 Posts

If Billmans TCT was not available I would probably go for the Toda one.

Quick Reply: Timing chain replacement and TCT