S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Timing Chain Tensioner Noise

Old 11-24-2006, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by duff0000,Oct 14 2006, 07:09 PM
The old unit is labeled NTN2 and the new unit is NTN1. There appers to be no outside difference in the casting.

The numbers NTN 1 and NTN 2 are just mold cavity numbers related to the cover of the tensioner assembly. The numbers below the casting numbers that are stamped/etched into the cover are the date of assembly of the tensioner assembly.

For example: 000829 likely stands for August 29, 2000
and 020805 would be August 5, 2002
Old 11-24-2006, 08:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI... I've begun a dialogue with American Honda customer service. I'm hoping to bring some attention to this issue. Maybe it will result in a re-design of the tensioner so that we can reduce the number of failures (and recurring failures) of these parts.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:14 AM

Received 1,321 Likes on 800 Posts

I'd be happy to send them defective samples in bulk
Old 11-25-2006, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Nov 25 2006, 06:14 AM
I'd be happy to send them defective samples in bulk
Good to hear. In my original letter that I sent to them, I told them that I have two that I'd be willing to send to them, and that I knew of others that might also have some sitting around. They replied with a pretty generic letter, and asked me to contact them by phone, but I haven't been able to make contact yet due to the Thanksgiving holidays. Hopefully I'll get in touch w/ them on Monday. I'll keep you posted if they request the failed tensioners.

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2006, 08:28 AM

mxt-77 I can provide a sample as well, I am getting ready to replace mine now as well.

I am testing a little theory about the conventional oil vs synthetic oil. Im hoping getting a fresh tensioner with this new oil will eliminate the problem.

I doubt honda will do anything though, but let me know, I will be more than glad to mail mine to Honda.

Anything to get them to address the problem.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:37 AM

Grr... Honda.

So, I followed up with a call to Honda Customer Service. I told the representative about my problem, told her that I had replaced the timing chain tensioner once and it alleviated the problem, but now the problem is back. She then told me that in order for them to do anything about it, I would have to take the car into the dealership and have them diagnose it. I would have to pay out of pocket for the diagnosis, and then she would consider reimbursing me under "Good Will" policies, since I'm outside of the warranty. Since I have Toda cams & valvesprings in the car, I'm sure they wouldn't honor this as "Good Will", so I'd be out $80 or whatever to have Honda diagnose a problem that I've already diagnosed on my own.

So, I guess my recommendation is for anyone who experiences this while in their warranty period... take the car to the dealer and have them replace it under warranty. It seems Honda is not willing to consider this a serious problem unless they have to replace the part under warranty many, many times.

Additionally, if you have experienced this problem and replaced the part on your own, please call Honda Customer Service and open a ticket. If you'd like to speak with the same representative that I spoke with, her contact info is below:

Julie Kim
(800)999-1009 ext 118056

Maybe if we speak loudly enough, Honda will take us seriously.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:29 AM

I will call here in a bit, but I am out of warranty as well, and I dont have the time to take off all my after market goodies. I did replace the tensioner once under factory warranty though, and twice after my warranty on my own.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:33 AM

^ When you call, try and provide the date & mileage when the part was replaced under warranty, as well as the dealer that replaced it. Also mention that you have replaced it twice since then (and provide dates & mileage if you have them).

Thanks, guys!
Old 12-07-2006, 02:41 PM

I called and provided them with all the information.
Didnt get the reaction I was hoping for.
The rep told me repairs done by myself could indicate I installed the piece incorrectly. I told them I am on my second going on third, but it did not matter.
I mentioned the repair under warranty and provided all the info.
Needless to say they stated they would contact me, but I doubt its going to lead to anything. The rep was very nice and kind, but thats about it.

This happened last time I tried to address and issue with Honda Corp regarding an issue I had with a dealer. Nothing got resolved.

MXT did they tell you anything else since you called? Or is this a dead end road we are going down?
Old 12-07-2006, 04:09 PM

^ No, there's nothing else I can do. I've already replaced my 2nd failed tensioner. Also, I was out of warranty and not willing to take my car to the dealer so they could diagnose the problem with the hopes that Honda would reimburse the diagnostic & replacement fee under their "goodwill" policy.

At this point, all we can hope is that everyone that is still under warranty and experiences this issue will take their car to the dealer for repair. If enough of these parts get replaced under warranty, maybe Honda will get tired of offering freebies and they'll actually re-design the thing to be more reliable.

I'd still recommend that anyone that has had to replace their tensioner call Ms. Kim and inform her of their problem. Again, if they don't hear about this from enough people, then they won't consider it to be a common and serious issue.

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Tensioner Noise