S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Tornado, OR cyclone, OR etc...saw infomerical on speedtv anyone?

Old 04-20-2003, 04:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was watching speed vision Late the other night
Had an infomercial about a piece of metal that plugs into the intake tube (After filter before TB) that "supossedly" does what turbines do in jet engines...make the air kinda swirl...
they say up to 20 HP..of course on some cars..as little as 2 hp on others, but also increased gas milage...the infomerical people said they were saving 20-60 less a month in fuel
3 easy payments of 25 I think or 1 of 69

now..theoretically..this non moving piece of metal sounds like it would work(based on science), BUT I was wondering if any guys who KNOW ever heard of it, and if it would REALLY help our car

Any Thoughts....or did anyone else see this infomerical and know what im talking about??
Old 04-20-2003, 04:29 PM
Banned

Based on what science? Their science? What they told you? Try doing a search.

Advertising works folks. Proof right here.

Blake
Old 04-20-2003, 04:41 PM
Banned

relax Grasshopper

No not there science, Sir issac Newton Science.... cylindrical spinning air travels faster than sucked air...I DID NOT say with there 70 dollar gizmo it would or did work...

I asked I DID NOT say I would buy it..geez

I am just asking

and search for what??

I tried nothing came up

As I said...anyone here of this...any insite???
Old 04-20-2003, 04:45 PM

There is a scientific basis. Comes from 2nd law of thermodynamics. Basicly, the idea is increasing turbidity will allow for better mixing and therfore better reaction. In fact, devices to increase tubidity of the fuel/air mixture are implemented in some vechicles. There is a technical article about the Skyline having this feature built in.

However, I don't think the Cyclone/Tornado works. I wouldn't know how to prove it either because the gains would be so marginal that it would be within the region of statistical error.

-Insano
Old 04-20-2003, 05:03 PM

I actually visited Tornado corporate office a few months ago and met with the owner. Basically to do some due diligence since they applied for a line of credit with the Bank I work for. I tried to get a free sample, but he would only give me a small discount. Even if he gave it free, I still wouldn't install it. Honestly, this thing would not do jack for our cars. After speaking with the owner, its seems as though the product mainly benefits older cars and american muscle cars.......if that.

Amazingly, sales for the company have skyrocketed over the last several years so someone is buying.
Old 04-20-2003, 05:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I've asked the same question several months ago and everyone told me it wouldn't work, but as far as anyone installing one and giving first hand info, it has yet to be done. Why don't you try it and give us your opinion. If you do decide to try it, make sure there's a 30 day return policy to get your money back.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:20 PM
Banned

http://search.s2ki.com/search.php?q=Tornado

Sure increasing the turbulence of air helps, but does it counteract the loss of flow?
Old 04-20-2003, 06:24 PM

Just put a big turbo...that would take care of it..
Old 04-20-2003, 06:39 PM

There is a scientific basis. Comes from 2nd law of thermodynamics. Basicly, the idea is increasing turbidity will allow for better mixing and therfore better reaction.
The second law of thermodynamics has nothing to do with "turbidity". Nothing at all. The second law of thermo has to do with heat transfer mainly. I'm not trying to bust you out or anything, I would just hate to see people going around thinking they just learned what the 2nd law of thermo was and really had no idea. The second law of thermodynamics is a general principle which places constraints upon the direction of heat transfer and the attainable efficiencies of heat engines. In so doing, it goes beyond the limitations imposed by the first law of thermodynamics. It is very complicated so that's about as deep as I'll get into it.

In fact, devices to increase tubidity of the fuel/air mixture are implemented in some vechicles. There is a technical article about the Skyline having this feature built in.
Actually, most modern cars have this built in to the intake manifold. Most Mazda cars have something called a VTCS. (Variable Tumble Control System) It's simply a butterfly similar to a butterfly in a throttle body that is in each runner of the intake manifold. It' gives the air a swirl and tumble effect so the fuel mixes better with the air.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:34 PM

The second law of thermodynamics has nothing to do with "turbidity". Nothing at all. The second law of thermo has to do with heat transfer mainly. I'm not trying to bust you out or anything, I would just hate to see people going around thinking they just learned what the 2nd law of thermo was and really had no idea. The second law of thermodynamics is a general principle which places constraints upon the direction of heat transfer and the attainable efficiencies of heat engines. In so doing, it goes beyond the limitations imposed by the first law of thermodynamics. It is very complicated so that's about as deep as I'll get into it.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are mistaken sir. In addition to making a statement on the conservation of energy, the second law of thermodynamics is also a statement on entropy. It states:

1.)In a reversible process, total entropy of a closed system is unchanged.

2.)In an irreversible process, total entropy of a system and its surroundings must increase

3.)A system for which the change in entropy is negative is impossible

*From this, I know that if I mix two pure components, I will increase entropy

*I also know that the Gibbs free energy for a combustion reaction is <0 which tell me it is spontaneous in the forward direction. i.e. towards the production of CO2 and H2O

*I also know the heat of formation for octane is <0

Using this information, and the equation for Gibb's free energy (delta G = delta H-T*delta S), I know that if I increase entropy, I will increase the spontoneaity of the reation.

-Insano

Quick Reply: Tornado, OR cyclone, OR etc...saw infomerical on speedtv anyone?