S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Torque Sensor replacement

Old 11-15-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im going to give the lachambers quickfix a try too. My steering issue is a little different though. When turning to the right I sometimes lose steering assist. Sometimes it seems possesed! When I turn the wheel when the car is stopped it shakes the wheel back and fourth pretty violently. Cracks me up b/c it looks like the steering wheel is going crazy. This is on my 03, Track S2K. I have NO EPS lights on or CEL for this problem. I figured it was the whole rack so I found a used steering rack complete with the torque sensor. I would like to try the lachambers method first. If it doesnt work ill just start by replacing the sensor and so on... thanks for the heads up on the quick fix
Old 11-16-2017, 02:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi D3F3NDER, Those symptoms are what happens when the sensor goes south. Good Luck on the fix. I would definitely try it first. Let me know what happens.
Lachambers
Old 11-16-2017, 04:27 AM

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Let us know how this fix goes. My MY07 Berlina is looking at a TS replacement. If I can restore the original TS, I would prefer that.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by JoePhotographer
Let us know how this fix goes. My MY07 Berlina is looking at a TS replacement. If I can restore the original TS, I would prefer that.
I tried the quickfix today with just some stuff I had laying around. I used spray oil to clean around the bearing, turned the wheel back and fourth a few times and used the oil once more. I had a bunch of Honda hi temp urea grease laying around so i just used that to grease it up. took it for a spirited drive afterwards. Little sticking in the steering so far. Im going to keep on it though and see if it clears up before my next track day. I'll keep you guys posted!
Old 11-22-2017, 07:38 AM

SO I drove the car to work the last five days. It looks like the notchy feeling is still there. Im thinking it's just time for a full replacement. Oh well.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For shaky steering wheel, Billman says that it is because of speed sensor not sending signals. He recommended to check grounds.
I cleaned & greased the torque sensor, but I still have the problem sometimes when cold starts. I will try to clean connectors (both torque sensor & speed sensor) later.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:24 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll be replacing my Torque Sensor soon. Based on this thread it looks like the AP1 TS was discontinued by the AP2 version will work on all models. Not sure if I will be doing it myself or having one of my local independent shops that I trust do the work. Just depends on how much time I have to do the repair.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:22 PM

Default Where to find a Torque Sensor

Let us know where you find the Torque Sensor for your car, thanks
Old 12-11-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The AP2 Torque Sensor part number is available many places online. Physically it appears to be identical to the AP1 part, and at least one post on this thread confirmed the AP2 part is a direct replacement. lachambers, you were the one who reported that you cleaned and applied grease to the shaft which resolved the issue for you. I checked mine, pushed back the dust cover, cleaned the shaft but saw no point in applying any grease as that area appeared to be sealed. There was no place I could apply grease that would improve the issue. My only other thing to check is the contacts, if I can get to them, I will pull off the contact plugs, clean and apply some conductive contact lubricant to them.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:00 PM

I fixed the problem with applying light weight grease to the rod and area underneath the dust cover. I fixed the problem for a year or so and it started coming back a week ago. I cleaned the same area and reapplied the grease again and it ALMOST cleared up again. Only a very small hitch when in a slight turn going slow. It does take a few miles driving to work it in. I'm thinking of selling my yellow 2002 with 31000 miles soon and will probably go ahead and replace the TS before I list it. Let me know how cleaning the contacts works for you... If you want to talk about let me know.... thanks for your thoughts..
Lachambers

Quick Reply: Torque Sensor replacement