S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Torque Sensor replacement

Old 11-14-2018, 08:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cdt540
StockSH, where did you find that setup? It looks like you accessed it from the top? I was thinking it would have to be done from the bottom. That looks much more straight forward.
I took out airbox first and found an extra straw from some spray and connected both straws using a heat-shrink. It might leak a little, but it works. Some heat-shrink contains glue, which would work better.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:12 AM

Using a pick.
Note that I heated one straw to bend a bit.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After doing this job, I wish someone made flexible straws that fit aerosol cans! I'd buy some
Old 11-15-2018, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
After doing this job, I wish someone made flexible straws that fit aerosol cans! I'd buy some
Not same size as Deoxit nozzle, but

The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (11-25-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by StockSH

Not same size as Deoxit nozzle, but

Oh! Wonder it that would fit the CRC cans....
Old 11-24-2018, 07:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My AP2 torque sensor arrived the other day, after reading the last few posts, I am wondering if I could just clean mine, return the part I ordered and save ~$375. Although, now that I have already purchased the part, I might as well go ahead and replace it. If I do, maybe I will take the old one apart and clean it up, then sell it on Craigslist or eBay.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2k Dude
My AP2 torque sensor arrived the other day, after reading the last few posts, I am wondering if I could just clean mine, return the part I ordered and save ~$375. Although, now that I have already purchased the part, I might as well go ahead and replace it. If I do, maybe I will take the old one apart and clean it up, then sell it on Craigslist or eBay.
Been meaning to reply but got caught in the holiday. I cleaned mine last week and now it works perfectly. I removed the air box and went in from the top with the green replacement straw posted earlier. It is a bit more flexible than the usual red stuff that comes with the can. I inserted the CRC cleaner and sprayed then turned the wheel lock to lock a fair amount of times. Then repeated. I waited a few hours and repeated with the CRC lube. I waited a few hours and put it all back together. Works perfectly now. The pic below is a piece of coat hanger I fab to pull the seal back. Just sharpened the point, inserted it and stuck the green straw in gap created. It does not go in very far. It was easy enough, I should have done this months ago

Chris

Bricktop ivi (05-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2018, 10:06 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

I knew this would work when I learned the TQ sensor is a potentiometer.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by S2k Dude
I'd certainly try cleaning the old one, then return the new one if successful. To me, it seems like it would be a real PITA to swap them out.

Originally Posted by cdt540

Been meaning to reply but got caught in the holiday. I cleaned mine last week and now it works perfectly. I removed the air box and went in from the top with the green replacement straw posted earlier. It is a bit more flexible than the usual red stuff that comes with the can. I inserted the CRC cleaner and sprayed then turned the wheel lock to lock a fair amount of times. Then repeated. I waited a few hours and repeated with the CRC lube. I waited a few hours and put it all back together. Works perfectly now. The pic below is a piece of coat hanger I fab to pull the seal back. Just sharpened the point, inserted it and stuck the green straw in gap created. It does not go in very far. It was easy enough, I should have done this months ago

Chris

Clever, and glad it worked!!

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
I knew this would work when I learned the TQ sensor is a potentiometer.
I'm sure I'm not the first to make that discovery, but I had never seen it mentioned before. I came across something explaining how the power steering works in these cars, and thanks to one of my other hobbies (vintage audio equipment), it clicked that it was just a big pot (and I've cleaned dozens of those!).

Like I said earlier, I'm certain that many have needlessly replaced their sensors or entire rack.
Slowcrash_101 (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 05:56 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

I appreciate your contribution!

Quick Reply: Torque Sensor replacement