S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Torque Sensor replacement

Old 05-24-2019, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So guys, is it confirm that AP2 Torque Sensor replacement works fine for AP1 after so many trials out there?

Kindly confirm. Thanks brother!

53101-S2A-A02 (AP1)
53101-S2A-A03 (AP2)
Old 05-24-2019, 05:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by S-2-0-0-0
So guys, is it confirm that AP2 Torque Sensor replacement works fine for AP1 after so many trials out there?

Kindly confirm. Thanks brother!

53101-S2A-A02 (AP1)
53101-S2A-A03 (AP2)
Yes, try reading through this thread, even the last few posts gives you your answer.
The following users liked this post:
S-2-0-0-0 (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2k Dude
Yes, try reading through this thread, even the last few posts gives you your answer.
The reason I double confirmed this is because my S2000 AP1 is JDM RHD version made in 1999 very first edition.

So i just would like make sure this works for me RHD S2000.

Am I correct to say that only 1 type of AP2 torque angle sensor part number is available? I.e.,

53101-S2A-A03 (AP2)
Old 05-24-2019, 08:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think you are going to get much confirmation on a US forum to know if there is any difference in the p/n for a RHD model. If you check a UK parts website and the part numbers match up, then you should be good to go. Last time I checked there were two out of three torque sensor part numbers still available, the AP1 TS is no longer available and has been confirmed that the AP2 part number is a direct replacement. However, the third TS part number is specific to the CR model, nobody has confirmed that part number would also work in any AP1 or AP2. The only reason I was interested in the CR version of the TS was that the cost was about $50 less.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bet they would all work well enough.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:58 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

The name torque sensor implies its measuring steering torque to know how much to boost steering effort. Since CR has a different steering gear, faster ratio, torque for any given situation will be different. So I imagine it will apply a different quantity of steering boost.

What I mean is, I doubt the torque sensor literally measures torque, but rather measures something and assumes a torque amount based on the known steering gear ratio. It'll make inaccurate assumption if CR sensor used in non CR rack.

So using CR sensor in non CR rack couod be used as a tuning method for steering boost. My belief is that would result in more steering boost, which for most is probably the opposite of desired. But I'm hoping I have that backwards, as it would be nice if it resulted in a bit less boost and more steering feel.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Confirmed: AP2 TS Worked in My AP1

I know others have stated the same, but I wanted to add to the chorus of having replaced the torque sensor in my 2001 AP1 with an AP2 part (53101-S2A-A03). Since this was a little beyond my level of repair expertise, I had my Honda dealer install it. My steering has been perfect and as I expected it to be for the last month or so since it was installed.

Happy motoring!
The following users liked this post:
rizzllzahid (04-09-2021)
Old 09-21-2019, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wirebrat
I know others have stated the same, but I wanted to add to the chorus of having replaced the torque sensor in my 2001 AP1 with an AP2 part (53101-S2A-A03). Since this was a little beyond my level of repair expertise, I had my Honda dealer install it. My steering has been perfect and as I expected it to be for the last month or so since it was installed.

Happy motoring!
Did you try cleaning and lubing it first?
Old 09-27-2019, 10:13 PM

I replaced the sensor on my RHD car with a used ap1 unit (the rhd and lhd sensor use different part numbers and are splined differently).

Clean and relube is preventative maintenance. If the grease In there is already dry that might help but once the sensor starts going... It will probably go eventually. Cold weather seems to affect it more but there is a test listed in the S2000 manual that can be done with a multi meter that confirms it the sensor is bad.

Be wary of sensors from cars that have been In a front end collision. I suspect the impact to wheels end up tweaking and can damage the sensor.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by X2board
I replaced the sensor on my RHD car with a used ap1 unit (the rhd and lhd sensor use different part numbers and are splined differently).

Clean and relube is preventative maintenance. If the grease In there is already dry that might help but once the sensor starts going... It will probably go eventually. Cold weather seems to affect it more but there is a test listed in the S2000 manual that can be done with a multi meter that confirms it the sensor is bad.

Be wary of sensors from cars that have been In a front end collision. I suspect the impact to wheels end up tweaking and can damage the sensor.

Did you keep your old sensor? I'd love to see someone tear one open.

I'm not sure if these sensors use changes in voltage (with a wiper and resistance element (i.e. a potentiometer)) or changes in magnetic field (with a Hall sensor). Either way, there isn't much at all to go bad inside of one of these, and I'd suspect that cleaning is more than just preventative maintenance (mine has preformed flawlessly since cleaning and lubing it over a year ago).

Quick Reply: Torque Sensor replacement