S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Torque Sensor replacement from Accord ?

Old 02-25-2017, 05:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Torque Sensor replacement from Accord ?

As with only a few board members, I have issues with my EPS torque sensor which only gives power assistance in one direction. Since the months I've had this problem and hearing stories of cars flying off the road with phantom assist... I disconnected my EPS fuse to disable the power assist completely . It feels like an old Caddy with a bum steering assist while at parking lot speeds, but I won't die at highway speeds... hopefully this won't damage any of the components in the upper portion of the column from additional stress.

But on to the possibilities.... my car is right hand drive so I'm not sure if the replacement torque sensor codes I've found online are the same one for my car, but I've been scouring JDM online purchase houses and euro parts listings for a RHD torque sensor or full rack... it's tough going.

In a conversation with some local honda buffs, I was told that the torque sensor from 2004+ Accords are the same model as the S2000 (Accord models came with EPS also up to current generation). From a parts bin perspective this would make sense so I'm excited to find one to try out. Unfortunately my model is a 2000MY so I hope if this parts exchange is true, it would apply to pre 2005 S2k models also. I'll be on the lookout at my local JDM importers warehouses to make a comparo... but thought I'd share the possible solution for those of you that may be able to find out to try out if I don't get my hands on one soon.

Best of luck,

X2
Old 02-26-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

uk ebay? lots of rhd s2000 parts...
Old 02-27-2017, 05:47 AM

Received 1,275 Likes on 778 Posts

I have corrected heavy steering in one direction by doing the Neutral Position Relearn. Have you tried this yet?
Old 02-27-2017, 06:12 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
I have corrected heavy steering in one direction by doing the Neutral Position Relearn. Have you tried this yet?
Bill, I cannot recall which two pins in the OBD2 connector must be shorted. Please bring me up to speed on that just in case I need to a Relearn. I'll make a note of it in my iPhone where I keep car tips.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:54 AM

Received 1,275 Likes on 778 Posts

Pins 4 and 9. Refer to any OBDII numbered diagram as the pinout is universal.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Thank you.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:50 AM

Billman250, I have read through all the posts I could find on the subject and done the reset procedure multiple times with negative results (only the 2 flashes, not followed by the 3). When I did the wiring check, I found the torque sensor not grounding to the chassis as it should be doing in the wiring check as per the S2000 manual. Eventually disconnected it from the EPS so the power assist doesn't surprise me on the road... ugh, kills the joy of parking the sexy nymph.

I would note that I have yet to find an OBDII port on this car, so I just jumped the 2 wire jumper to get it into the learning mode.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
The car has ZERO assist left and full assist turning right... plus it's wandering to the right pretty hard at any speed. One of the members, lachambers, claimed to have fixed a similar issue with regreasing the sensor but the area he greased doesn't seem to have any effect on my car... unless I need to pull it out of the rack and grease up the gear.

Billman250, do you think that a RHD car would use the identical sensor unit as a LHD car ?

I will check UK ebay... up to recently I've been using a japanese site... got some decent interior trim and dash parts, but nothing for a sensor or rack.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2002 had issues much the same. Spin full left on some startups, easy one way, hard the other.
I finally did the Neutral Position Relearn. It took several tries to get it right but once done all the noted problems went away.
The key for me on getting the Relearn correct was to get in a rhythm of light, turn, release, etc.
The only issue now is its a tad catchy when turning the wheel (both directions) which I think could be the grease in the torque sensor. Replacing the grease is my next step.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 PM

Almost ready to order a 2008-2009 CR torque sensor (53101-S2A-S01)... all the pics I see look identical to the original 53101-S2A-A02 sensor but not sure if it's interchangeable. I'm not driving the car at the moment... but getting anxious to get this issue fixed... lots of tight roads and small parking spots in my neck of the woods.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Torque Sensor replacement from Accord ?