S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

TPMS?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TPMS?

Ok so Im about to get new tires mounted on my new wheels but my car has TPMS since its an 08. If i dont move the tpms units to the new wheels is the only thing thats gonna happen is that my TPMS light will come on the cluster? Is that gonna mess up me passing inspection or should i just pay extra to have my stocks unmounted and the tpms units put in the new ones. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:56 AM

EDIT: i just searched and it looks like TPMS wont work with Work wheels, anyone confirm this? also does anyone know if you can just pull the fuse for the light?
Old 01-27-2011, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why wouldn't tpms work? you need a sensor adapter.
http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Merchant...S&Store_Code=EM

you don't need the work brand ones, most wheel/tire shops should carry these types of adapters nowadays.

If you don't move the sensors or get a new set, the light will be on. i believe the solution would be to pull the bulb. i got tires mounted on my new wheels at costco, they moved my sensors over for free.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:00 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1)There are tons of TPMS sensors on the market, and each wheel requires a different angle. If a wheel is INCAPABLE of running TPMS, than you will always have a TPMS light on your dash.

2)TPMS light on your dash does 2 things.....

a)You will no longer know if your tires are low (no big deal.)
b)You will be UNABLE to turn off VSA (federal law, and is built into every car.)

-You might get advice to pull the fuse for TPMS so that you don't have the light on your dash, but like I said above, the TPMS system by law, is tied into the VSA system, so pulling one will disable the other.

The ONLY way to be able to disable VSA would be to pull the fuse, but that is ONLY suggested if you need to get your car unstuck from a snowy situation.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Jan 28 2011, 02:00 AM
1)There are tons of TPMS sensors on the market, and each wheel requires a different angle. If a wheel is INCAPABLE of running TPMS, than you will always have a TPMS light on your dash.

2)TPMS light on your dash does 2 things.....

a)You will no longer know if your tires are low (no big deal.)
b)You will be UNABLE to turn off VSA (federal law, and is built into every car.)

-You might get advice to pull the fuse for TPMS so that you don't have the light on your dash, but like I said above, the TPMS system by law, is tied into the VSA system, so pulling one will disable the other.

The ONLY way to be able to disable VSA would be to pull the fuse, but that is ONLY suggested if you need to get your car unstuck from a snowy situation.
That's partially incorrect. You can turn off VSA if you have no TPMS sensors in place, but you have to turn it off each time you start the car. Honda has a technical bulletin contrary to that fact, but it's the truth.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:01 PM

Received 1,271 Likes on 775 Posts

Google search tpms pipe bomb. Not kidding.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:17 PM

so will the VSA light be on the dash as well?
if its just the TPMS light that doesnt really bother me much. I normally keep the VSA on anyway, i think ive only had it off like twice since ive owned the car lol. As long as VSA light doesnt come on and works fine im okay with the TPMS light.
and billman i looked into the pipebomb, pretty neat idea!!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Harpoon,Jan 28 2011, 07:39 PM
That's partially incorrect. You can turn off VSA if you have no TPMS sensors in place, but you have to turn it off each time you start the car. Honda has a technical bulletin contrary to that fact, but it's the truth.
I honestly don't know about the s2000, but this is NOT possible on any other Honda (I own two.) My CRV cannot turn off VSA with the TPMS light on, which I now have because I switched to winter wheels. I have an ATEQ Quickset coming to fix that, but other than that, like I said, federal law.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Billman250,Jan 28 2011, 11:01 PM
Google search tpms pipe bomb. Not kidding.
This does NOT work on Hondas (although again, not sure about the s2000.)

Hondas use a rotation-sensing sensor, that is activated ONLY when it senses rotation of a tire. This is done to preserve the battery life of the sensor. On my 2009 CRV, the sensors are rotational sensors. I am pretty sure the s2000 uses the same sensors, but I know you know S2ks better than me, so I won't argue that fact. All I am saying is, pipebombs don't work for all cars.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:04 AM

IMO, this is one more reason techology is ruining cars. I'm glad my S doesn't have tpms.

Quick Reply: TPMS?