S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission & differential problem

Old 12-17-2004, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission & differential problem

It appears that the transmission and rear differential on my S2000 have failed. I just drove the car about 800 miles from Utah to California. I had the car checked out including fluid changes right before driving it out. Car made it to California just fine, but yesterday on my way down 101 to the office it started making a loud thumping sound in the drivetrain so I stopped and had the car towed to Mike Harvey Honda in Burlingame.

The service tech at the honda dealership in Burlingame believes that the shop that did the work in Utah messed up. The shop in Utah is claiming the car would never have made it all the way to California, if they'd messed up.

Honda dealership in Burlingame claims:
1. Transmission not properly torqued after fluid change. Plug was only a couple of turns away from falling completely out. Transmission had less than a quart of fluid left in it as a result. No signs of any seal or other leaks ... just the loose plug.
2. Rear differential had very little fluid

Question for the experts here is, is it feasible for the car to make it the 800 miles from Utah to Calif and then fail in the above situation? Shop in Utah is saying that the car should only have made it a few miles if they had not done the differential fluid correctly and mis-torqued the transmission.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
-MSM
Old 12-17-2004, 08:01 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

With a loose tranny drain plug, you'd be able to go pretty far, until the oil level seeped out below the point where it is picked up and dispersed by the gears. Then the trans would fail qiute rapidly. The drain bolt on the tranny has a 3/8 square hole, instead of a hex head. I'm assuming this is the one they didn't tighten properly?

As far as the dif goes, they may have forgot to fill it altogether. Why would they just put a small amount of fluid in the dif and then stop? I'd think even the most clueless person would know to fill it to the bottom of the fill hole.

IMHO, the car could have easily gone the distance, maybe more, before showing signs of trouble. I believe Burlingame is right, and the shop in utah should make good on this.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:49 AM

Thanks Billman, the shop in Utah is claiming that if they'd forgot to put any fluid in the diff that the diff would have failed in just 2 or 3 miles.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:45 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

They'll say anything bro, stand firm, be proffesional...Hardtopguy has some 04 difs, brand new, that will bolt right into your car for about 800 bucks....He may still have some 04 trannys left for 1500.....don't let this slide man.

OR...if they admit to leaving the drain plug loose in the tranny, tell them you want them to pay for just the tranny..that should get you about 4k to play with, which can cover everything...
Old 12-18-2004, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets put it this way the shop in Utah is real bind here....you have a certified experts saying they screwed up. WHo is a court of law going to believe a honda tech or some random mechanic. If they don't want to pay for it take them to court. One question is jurisdiction, if you can file in CA great. You may even be able to file in small claims court, I can't remember if the cap is 2500 or 5000. But honestly the threat of a law suit is often enough to get action you probably won't have to go to court.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:31 PM

Appreciate the quick responses and the PMs. I expect the shop in Utah will be decent about it and cover the repair.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, a friend of mine, many years ago, bought a base Ford Fairmont with manual transmission. She received the car with no oil in the tranny although she obviously didn't know it at the time. That car made about 1800 miles before the tranny locked up in second gear and refused to shift any further.

The car was towed to the nearest dealer where they discovered that it was dry. It was never checked at the new car make ready. Ford replaced the tranny with no problems.

My point is, if you're not pushing the car hard, making 800 miles isn't that out of the question.

Good luck & let us know how it turns out.

Steve R.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:44 PM

From the posts and the PMs I've received it seems the consensus is that an S2000 with a broken-in differential could go a thousand or so miles before failing without much fluid. Mike Harvey Honda in Burlingame said diff was very low on fluid.

The differential was Comptech reinforced with Rick's 4.77 gears. Is there a clear way to determine whether both the diff and the gears need to be replaced? If both need to be replaced then I need new diff ... send the core to comptech and then also purchase the new gears (ARG!). Is there anywhere to buy the whole setup from?

Appreciate all the replies. Rather than PMs though, post here as the shop in Utah is interested in the info as well.

Thanks again,
-MSM
Old 12-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Former Moderator

Received 290 Likes on 269 Posts

FWIW, I've personally seen differentials go quite some time and miles before destroying themselves due to lack of oil. Many 91-02 Acura's mount a standard differential to the oil pan. Some shops assume that when you drain the oil out of them, you refill the diff when adding engine oil. They are not so pleasantly surprised when 1500 miles later the car returns with a hole in the diff housing and shrapnel inside.

I've even driven a Legend with a hole in the diff case big enough to put your fist in. It wasn't making happy noises, but the car still drove in.

Run it low on oil, or out of oil they'll last a while before making babies.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:13 PM

HECASH, appreciate the details. I'll check out hardtopguy.com.

Are there any advantages to the 04 transmission over the 00 to 03? Any significant reason not to go with a used tranmission?

Quick Reply: Transmission & differential problem