S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission Install - stuck

Old 12-31-2019, 04:40 AM

Received 406 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by markslc1
I’ll be back at it today. Doing this on my garage floor so it too quite a while just to get it on there. Hate to have to back it out. But if it’s truly the shaft binding I guess I have no other choice.

what I’m hearing is that using bolts to close the gap only works if the splines are aligned. Which is dependent upon the angle. I also read something about the steering column needing disconnecting to let the subframe droop more. Driver side is not as low as passenger. But I’m not real clear on how to do that and associated risk to the clock spring. Any other tips are appreciated. Thanks.
Make a mark with whiteout on the steering coupler, there's 2 10mm bolts holding it on to the tq sensor loosen them and it slides right off.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:42 AM

Received 406 Likes on 340 Posts

I thought it might too Drove it today and all is well. Clutch and steering are good. Maybe we dodged a bullet on the steering not being disconnected?
As long as you disconnected the power steering connector, if you don't you can damage the cable when you lower the subframe.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:37 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Dropping the subframe 3”, I never had a problem leaving the steering rack attached, bolt removed gives the spline enough play, movement. Sounds like maybe your friction disc alignment was off abit.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Current update on the car after the clutch job.

The morning after completing the work, took it for a drive and all seemed normal. Today, we are experiencing some driveline vibration when under 1/2 or more throttle. More intense as revs rise and does not vibrate with coasting. Shifting is fine and feels generally normal. Given that we did not mark the driveshaft when uninstalling, was thinking maybe the driveshaft is in the wrong orientation. Looking at videos I can see that the end of the shaft with the raised metal stamp (on the outside) goes to the diff, but unclear on how to properly clock it when installing.

First: Do you all think the vibration is likely the driveshaft?
Second: Any chance the vibration could be something else (i.e loose flywheel bolts, etc?) based on symptoms.

I don't hear any grinding or feel any problem in shifting, just a strong vibration under acceleration. Note that we changed motor mounts and trans mounts as part of this process (stock). Thanks for the help S2k forum.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:56 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Current update on the car after the clutch job.

The morning after completing the work, took it for a drive and all seemed normal. Today, we are experiencing some driveline vibration when under 1/2 or more throttle. More intense as revs rise and does not vibrate with coasting. Shifting is fine and feels generally normal. Given that we did not mark the driveshaft when uninstalling, was thinking maybe the driveshaft is in the wrong orientation. Looking at videos I can see that the end of the shaft with the raised metal stamp (on the outside) goes to the diff, but unclear on how to properly clock it when installing.

First: Do you all think the vibration is likely the driveshaft?
Second: Any chance the vibration could be something else (i.e loose flywheel bolts, etc?) based on symptoms.

I don't hear any grinding or feel any problem in shifting, just a strong vibration under acceleration. Note that we changed motor mounts and trans mounts as part of this process (stock). Thanks for the help S2k forum.
most people don't mark the driveshaft when removing it so it's unlikely to be the clocking of the driveshaft

your symptoms sound like the very common CV bucket vibrations are you sure it wasn't doing that before the clutch replacement?
Old 12-31-2019, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by afzan
most people don't mark the driveshaft when removing it so it's unlikely to be the clocking of the driveshaft

your symptoms sound like the very common CV bucket vibrations are you sure it wasn't doing that before the clutch replacement?
i thought of that too. But all was fine prior to the clutch job.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:03 PM

Received 1,265 Likes on 772 Posts

Driveshaft orientation/marks do not matter.
The following 4 users liked this post by Billman250:
Dusdangers08 (12-31-2019), SkidPad (01-02-2020), twohoos (01-02-2020), windhund116 (01-01-2020)
Old 12-31-2019, 03:20 PM

Received 353 Likes on 329 Posts

Agree,should mate up with no influence with using bell housing bolts !!
Old 01-01-2020, 08:05 AM

Received 1,320 Likes on 998 Posts

I think your problem all along was misalignment of clutch disk. Clutch alignment tool wasn't perfectly centered. I had this same issue doing mine, and had to drop trans again and redo the alignment tool.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I think your problem all along was misalignment of clutch disk. Clutch alignment tool wasn't perfectly centered. I had this same issue doing mine, and had to drop trans again and redo the alignment tool.
THIS....Pete

Quick Reply: Transmission Install - stuck